Ultra-low pressure tubes for offroaders and other roughriders:Schwalbe ProCore

Old June 25th 15, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Ultra-low pressure tubes for offroaders and other roughriders:Schwalbe ProCore

For those of you who want to ride offroad as I ride on rough lanes (right through the potholes) on my Big Apples, here's the Schwalbe ProCore Tube that lets you do exactly that.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod128958
The ouch!] price is for a pair of tubes.

Also at http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/presserea...in-biking.html Schwalbe says development of the tube was spurred by the availability of very wide rims. The system presupposes a bead to bead width of 23mm.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/presserea...uerschnitt.jpg

As you can see at the graphic linked above, the tube consists of two tubes, with a special valve with a selector. The image tells the rest of the story: high pressure to keep the beed locked in, low pressure for riding.

According to the blurb:

***
Schwalbe ProCore Tube Set

Off road: Riding at lower pressure means better performance... but at the same time it increases the risk of failures. The limit so far is at about 20 psi, below which it's hardly possible to dare to ride normal MTB tires.

But nothing stays the same: In the future, air pressure can be controlled in the tire's double chambers. In the outer chamber, the air pressure is extremely low - ideal for maximum off road performance. In the inner chamber, directly on the rim, there is high air pressure - even a very strong impact cannot dent the rim edge. At the same time, the inner high-pressure system secures the tire onto the rim. "Burping", the dreaded loss of air at low pressure in conventional tubeless systems, is impossible.

Tire pressure can be reduced to a minimum 14 psi, thus providing a huge amount of grip.

Even on the roughest terrain tires "stick" to the ground.

The tire provides extremely sensitive cushioning.

Due to the extra cushioning and traction there is much better steering, braking and traction control.

No more risk of snake bites. The rims are extremely well protected from denting.

Even in the toughest conditions, significantly lighter tires can be used.

Excellent emergency running characteristics due to the internal high-pressure air chamber.

Procore can be used with any tubeless MTB tire.

Weighing ca. 200g (rider weight) per wheel. Compatible with all wheels regardless of brand. Internal rim width of 23mm. Series production is underway.

Sold as a set of 2 with all necessary components, in order to convert a complete bike. Later on components will also be individually available as replacement parts.

Set-Contents:
2 x PROCORE inner tires
2 x PROCORE special tubes
2 x Tubeless rim tapes
Doc Blue
Tire fitting aids.

Tyre Compatibilities:

Set 26" Art-No. 16610001
Set 27,5" Art-No. 16610002
Set 29" Art-No. 16610003

***

Enjoy.

Andre Jute
Old June 25th 15, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-25 5:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

For those of you who want to ride offroad as I ride on rough lanes
(right through the potholes) on my Big Apples, here's the Schwalbe
ProCore Tube that lets you do exactly that.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod128958

The ouch!] price is for a pair of tubes.

Doesn't even list a price when called up here from the US. Which usually
means boutique pricing.

Anyhow, I simply put Sunlite tubes with 0.160" or about 4mm wall
thickness in my MTB tires, plus Mr.Tuffy MTB tire liners, plus a piece
of old tube over the tire liner. For a grand total expense of less than
$50 - no more flats, nada, zip. The turf I am riding is often rather
bone-jarring. Like this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/PineHill2.JPG

In consequence I did the same with my road bike by installing tube with
0.120 or 3mm wall thickness. Same result, the number of flats dropped to
zero. The reason why I still carry a patch kit and a pump is to help
oher riders.

What I found to be key is that the wall thickness goes all around. I
previously tried tubes which were only thicker towards the running
surface, only to have two goat head thorn penetrate through the side
wall when I leaned into a curve a bit much ... PSHHHEEEOOOOUUU.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te_003_lhp.jpg

A very nice side effect is that I no longer have to add air every week
but only every other month. Meaning when I suddenly have a package that
needs to go to a freight depot I can just hop on and ride.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 25th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

You missed the point altogether, Joerg. It isn't about not getting flats; Schwalbe have plenty of other tyres that can do that. The price is 160 Euro for two tyres. So, you've saved 30 bucks per tyre -- big deal -- and gone without all the other benefits of a smoother ride that sticks the tire better to the track and lets you go faster. You should pay better attention to what I post, pal, unless you're scared of going faster, and are so hard-arsed you don't care about ride quality, in either of which cases I don't have anything to say to you. Unlike your chum Krygowski, I don't just waffle on for the sake of hearing my voice.

Andre Jute

Here my post is again, and your off-the-rails I'm-too-tough-to-pay-attention reply is below that.

Old June 26th 15, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/06/15 22:52, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Nice! Thanks for the tech.

--
JS
Old June 26th 15, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

On 2015-06-25 5:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

I've been installing slightly oversized tubes in the hopes that if the tube
doesn't have to stretch to conform to the inside of the tire, it won't leak
much if it gets punctured. So far, so good.
Old June 26th 15, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2015-06-25 5:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

+1
Tube width has declined dramatically in that most are now
2/3 the label 'size' they once were.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 26th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 2015-06-25 5:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

In that case, perhaps you boys want to go another size or several oversize so as not only to reclaim lost ground, but to give yourselves headroom for taking the next step of on-edge handing and speed, achieved by lowering pressure.

That is what the Schwalbe ProCore Tube does, to the max, permitting 14psi pressure in the outer tube/inner tyre without inducing snake bite punctures.

I'm perfectly happy with the biggest Schwalbe tubes, Type 19A, and operate them down to 1.4 bar, 20psi without mishap, on very rough tarmac, not offroad. If I were suddenly to take up offroading, I would, having convinced myself of the multiple advantages and pleasures of low pressure balloon tyres in seven years on the Big Apples (1), certainly fit Schwalbe ProCore tubes.

Andre Jute
who can't imagine ever again being so masochistic as to ride on high pressure narrow tyres

(1) My famous article on the subject in it's most-read form is at
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/...p?topic=3798.0
together with a good deal of useful discussion by experts.
Old June 26th 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-25 5:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Have you ever done any serious offroading? My bike dealer experienced it
with lower pressure tubeless: Tight corner, a bit fast, same for the
rider following him ... *PHOOF* ... rear tire now almost on the rim but
he could finish the race. The next guy wasn't so lucky ... *KABLAM* ...
WOP-WOP-WOP ... his tire came off the rim. That usually means a crash
although this guy here still managed to finish, something I would not
have dared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ

Andre Jute who can't imagine ever again being so masochistic as to
ride on high pressure narrow tyres

(1) My famous article on the subject in it's most-read form is at
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/...p?topic=3798.0 together
with a good deal of useful discussion by experts.

Regards, Joerg
(who rides offroad at 55psi pressure and on road at 115psi)

--

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 26th 15, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Yes, it is exactly to avoid these ignorant amateur experiments by people like you, and their inevitable results, that Schwalbe invented the double tube system in the Procore system. You really should read the information in the original post, and there is more on the linked pages. Or you could just look at the key picture I linked to, which shows that the inner *high pressure* tube holds the assembly to the bead, while the outer *low pressure* tube does the speed, roadholding and comfort business. Here is the link to the piccie again:
http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/presserea...uerschnitt.jpg

But, of course, if you know better than Schwalbe, there's nothing further to be said to you.

Andre Jute

Old June 26th 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-26 10:34 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
Yes, it is exactly to avoid these ignorant amateur experiments by
people like you, and their inevitable results, ...

Obviously you seem to know nothing about offroad riding. There is
nothing experimental about it. It works.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/