Around the Bay - 2010 - Werribee Photos (heaps)

Old October 20th 10, 12:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
essaytee[_2_]

Default Around the Bay - 2010 - Werribee Photos (heaps)

I was taking photos of riders passing through Werribee between 6.40
and 8.50 am. My exact location was he

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie...,0.034847&z=15

There's around 1400 photos sorted in time order, so if you know
roughly your time passing through Werribee you should be able to
determine if your photo is there or not. Normally, for running
events, I index each photo by bib number but unfortunately, most
riders were not displaying bib numbers so bib number search is not
possible. The photos can be found he

http://fstop5.com/Sports/Cycling/Aro...14247282_ecmzT

Enjoy.
Old October 24th 10, 09:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

essaytee wrote:

unfortunately, most riders were not displaying bib numbers so bib number
search is not possible.

This is not entirely the fault of the entrants:

I have no idea if this was the case with this ATB, or even if they
still do this: But what was quite common was the photo vendor assigned
to a particular ride used to print and mail out the full set of photos
to each entrant demanding payment, or, if they didn't want the photos,
to send them back at the entrant's effort and cost.
So basically, you're going to pay one way or another, so they gambled
on people paying to keep them, rather than paying to not keep a thing.

Legals and morals aside, that ****ed off that many people, that few
wear their bibs on the front (as dictated by entry) any more to prevent
this from happening.

Like I said, I don't know if this practice still happens, or if it was
the actions of the few that ruined it for everyone else, but let me put
it this way, personally (as well as everyone I ride who's been bitten at
least once), I'm not going to LET it happen again.
Perhaps if there was some legal (documented) assurance there would be
no "hidden" costs as part of the entry, then I may reconsider. Till then...
--
Murphy is out there... waiting...
Old October 24th 10, 12:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
essaytee[_3_]

On Oct 24, 7:29*pm, John Tserkezis
wrote:
essaytee wrote:
unfortunately, most riders were not displaying bib numbers so bib number
search is not possible.

*This is not entirely the fault of the entrants:

*I have no idea if this was the case with this ATB, or even if they
still do this: But what was quite common was the photo vendor assigned
to a particular ride used to print and mail out the full set of photos
to each entrant demanding payment, or, if they didn't want the photos,
to send them back at the entrant's effort and cost.
*So basically, you're going to pay one way or another, so they gambled
on people paying to keep them, rather than paying to not keep a thing.

I enter many running events and these days (well, the last 5 or so
years) all photography is done online. I do remember years ago
receiving prints in the mail from various running events. I doubt
any company doing that these days, surely they wouldn't make half as
much money having people order digital images for download.

What I did notice for this particular event (and running events); some
riders making an effort to open their jackets or lift their tops so as
to display their bib number. Some I captured and some I didn't. As
the bulk of the photos there are no bib numbers displayed I thought it
was a pointless exercise to index the ones that were. I thought
about this afterwards and thought if I had a sandwich board placed
about 300 - 400 metres away, advertising the fact, "Photographer
ahead", at least riders could prepare themselves in time, if they so
wished. If I was making money out of this, that's what I'd certainly
do.

Cheers,

Steve.

MSR 2010 David Padgham Racing 10 March 20th 10 12:13 PM
2010 RVV Mike Owens[_2_] Racing 53 December 17th 09 12:36 PM
2010 TdF Nige Danton[_2_] UK 4 October 15th 09 09:34 AM
Vuelta 2009, Giro 2010, Tour 2010, Worlds 2012 Susan Walker Racing 10 September 24th 09 07:22 PM
60% by 2010 Simon Mason UK 27 May 6th 04 11:05 AM