LETTER - This cycling thing is a crazy idea. A crazy good one

Old July 16th 20, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default LETTER - This cycling thing is a crazy idea. A crazy good one

QUOTE:
I just came home from a drive to Dorset, where we spent hours wandering along the coast, when I read Lisa's letter about cycle lanes and disasters from July 13.

Here's why she's wrong.

The Department for Transport's National Travel Survey discovered 56% of all car journeys are under five miles.

For comparison, five miles is when you go from Totton to the old High Street for a night out.

Or from Bursledon to IKEA for some meatballs.

Or if you live in Woolston and have an appointment at the general, it's even less at 4.8 miles.

Live near Old Netley and want to picnic in the Common? That's also five miles for you.

Cycling five miles takes less than half an hour.

The Avenue being a mere 1.7 miles long, Lisa can cycle to everyone in her family in under 10 minutes.

With 25% of Britons not in possession of a driving license (SIC), cycles are the only vehicles they can use.

Children no longer need to bother their parents to drive them to school or to practice.

Commuters can cycle to work quickly and reliably, because traffic jams are a thing for motor traffic.

For those who are less stable, or just really don't want to fall off a bicycle, there are tricycles.

Or, if you need to travel further or find those hills a bit troublesome, consider an e-bike.

City bikes fit an adult and two small children, as well as a week's worth of groceries for your family.

Young children do grow big so quickly, but luckily they'll still fit in a cargo bike, which also comes in handy for a shopping spree at B&Q.

With the environment becoming increasingly polluted, and temperatures rising rapidly, cycling is the only way forward to stay mobile around our towns and cities.

In fact, you'll be at the pub or your favourite shops much more quickly than when driving.

The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, and more recently the city of Paris have proven cycling culture works.

And if Britain's marvellous history in cycling inventions is not enough to convince you of the will and the talent this country is pouring into improving itself, I hope that a look at London, Manchester, and Birmingham will be evidence that Britain is indeed ready to elevate cycling to one of the primary means of transportation, for everyone.

Lisa was right about one thing, though.

This cycling thing is a crazy idea.

A crazy good one.

Bart Feenstra

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/185...razy-good-one/
Old July 16th 20, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 16/07/2020 10:44, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
I just came home from a drive to Dorset, where we spent hours wandering along the coast, when I read Lisa's letter about cycle lanes and disasters from July 13.

Here's why she's wrong.

The Department for Transport's National Travel Survey discovered 56% of all car journeys are under five miles.

For comparison, five miles is when you go from Totton to the old High Street for a night out.

Or from Bursledon to IKEA for some meatballs.

....or four miles to Asda / Tesco / Morrisons for a hundred quid's worth
of groceries plus a tank top-up of cheapest retail petrol.

Old July 16th 20, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:05:13 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 16/07/2020 10:44, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
I just came home from a drive to Dorset, where we spent hours
wandering along the coast, when I read Lisa's letter about cycle
lanes and disasters from July 13.

Here's why she's wrong.

The Department for Transport's National Travel Survey discovered 56%
of all car journeys are under five miles.

For comparison, five miles is when you go from Totton to the old High
Street for a night out.

Or from Bursledon to IKEA for some meatballs.

But that's an hour just queueing!

...or four miles to Asda / Tesco / Morrisons for a hundred quid's
worth of groceries plus a tank top-up of cheapest retail petrol.

Why would you need petrol?
Why buy £100 of groceries to fill up the cupboards with?

Wrong perspective as always.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old July 16th 20, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Thursday, 16 July 2020 10:44:21 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

As the only carriageway users who pay for the road space we use is it time we took the difficult decision to ban cars from our roads once and for all? Obviously CTC members will be able to drive because cyclists are the only road users intelligent enough to behave responsibly.

Old July 16th 20, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

wrote:

On 16/07/2020 10:44, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
I just came home from a drive to Dorset, where we spent hours
wandering along the coast, when I read Lisa's letter about cycle
lanes and disasters from July 13.

Here's why she's wrong.

The Department for Transport's National Travel Survey discovered 56%
of all car journeys are under five miles.

For comparison, five miles is when you go from Totton to the old High
Street for a night out.

Or from Bursledon to IKEA for some meatballs.

But that's an hour just queueing!

...or four miles to Asda / Tesco / Morrisons for a hundred quid's
worth of groceries plus a tank top-up of cheapest retail petrol.

Why would you need petrol?
Why buy £100 of groceries to fill up the cupboards with?

Wrong perspective as always.

When and if I decide that I need advice on general day-to-day living
from a completely unqualified stranger who thinks he knows better than I
do what is best for me and those around me, I'll come to you as a first
priority.

Guaranteed.
Old July 17th 20, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 16:36:09 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 16/07/2020 11:26, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:05:13 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

...or four miles to Asda / Tesco / Morrisons for a hundred quid's
worth of groceries plus a tank top-up of cheapest retail petrol.

Why would you need petrol?
Why buy £100 of groceries to fill up the cupboards with?

Wrong perspective as always.

When and if I decide that I need advice on general day-to-day living
from a completely unqualified stranger who thinks he knows better than

do what is best for me and those around me, I'll come to you as a first
priority.

Guaranteed.

You could start by looking at what you've done for the environment
lately.

Glad to be here for you.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old July 18th 20, 02:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

wrote:

On 16/07/2020 11:26, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:05:13 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

...or four miles to Asda / Tesco / Morrisons for a hundred quid's
worth of groceries plus a tank top-up of cheapest retail petrol.

Why would you need petrol?
Why buy £100 of groceries to fill up the cupboards with?

Wrong perspective as always.

When and if I decide that I need advice on general day-to-day living
from a completely unqualified stranger who thinks he knows better than

do what is best for me and those around me, I'll come to you as a first
priority.

Guaranteed.

You could start by looking at what you've done for the environment
lately.

Glad to be here for you.

The moment I need your advice, I'll ask for it. You can be assured of that.
Old July 18th 20, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

wrote:

On 16/07/2020 11:26, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:05:13 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

...or four miles to Asda / Tesco / Morrisons for a hundred quid's
worth of groceries plus a tank top-up of cheapest retail petrol.

Why would you need petrol?
Why buy £100 of groceries to fill up the cupboards with?

Wrong perspective as always.

When and if I decide that I need advice on general day-to-day living
from a completely unqualified stranger who thinks he knows better
than

do what is best for me and those around me, I'll come to you as a
first priority.

Guaranteed.

You could start by looking at what you've done for the environment
lately.

Glad to be here for you.

The moment I need your advice, I'll ask for it. You can be assured of
that.

Keep your tyres fully inflated, unless going off-road. Check (and adjust
if necessary) your brakes and oil your chain regularly.

You're posting in a cycling NG; that's what we're here for.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Old July 18th 20, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

wrote:

On 16/07/2020 11:26, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:05:13 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

[...]

You know how much I value your opinion(s).

Crazy BB idea Joseph S Techniques 7 June 21st 11 03:55 PM
I did a crazy thing... DeF Australia 7 August 2nd 06 10:08 PM
Crazy Idea... trialfreek Unicycling 0 July 17th 06 05:27 PM
Bicycle-induced psychotropic effects, or Hey, that crazy dude really is crazy [email protected] Racing 7 February 8th 06 03:17 PM
Metronome a crazy idea? Sorni General 2 December 10th 03 02:56 AM