Aberdeen motor vehicle driver crashed into cyclist after telling him he shouldn’t be in the centre of road

Old July 20th 20, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

Default =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_Re=3A_Re=3A_Re=3A_Re=3A_

On 10:22 20 Jul 2020, Simon Mason said:

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 10:20:26 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

On 13:52 14 Jul 2020, Mike Collins said:

Please substantiate your absurd claim that:

"The Highway Code ... recommends cycling in the centre of the lane".

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/defa...t/public/media
/%5Bfile%3Amime%5D/roadpositioning-3.jpg?itok=2ZgMYIhy

That's what a cycling presure group advocates. The Highway Code doesn't
advocate it, which is what Mike Collins claims.

He's got muddled up again.
Old July 20th 20, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Aberdeen motor vehicle driver crashed into cyclist after telling him he shouldn’t be in the centre of road

On 20/07/2020 10:22, Simon Mason wrote:

"The Highway Code ... recommends cycling in the centre of the lane".

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/defa...?itok=2ZgMYIhy

Never seen this diagram before. Hmmm.

I do take their "primary" on occasion (such as narrowings at islands)
but the advice is too simplistic.

The term "primary" makes it sound as though it is the position to aim
for by routine, not for a position that should rarely (*) need to be
used for more than 3-5 seconds. I would swap their "primary" and
"secondary" terms.

(*) if ever - without going out and deliberaty observing, I can't think
of anything off hand.
Old July 20th 20, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 20/07/2020 10:22, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 10:20:26 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

Please substantiate your absurd claim that:

"The Highway Code ... recommends cycling in the centre of the lane".

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/defa...?itok=2ZgMYIhy

Without even clicking it, which is patently unnecessary, one sees that
that is not a link to the Highway Code.

It is simply a link to a non-credible and partisan website. Obviously,
neither you nor anyone else can link to the claimed Highway Code
provision which is said to "recommend cycling in the centre of the
lane", let alone "recommend cycling in the middle of the road".

But let's not be anything but constructive. It's *good* to see such
respect for the Highway Code among cyclists (even though many of them
choose only to respect made-up rules which don't actually exist).

Turning to rules which *do* exist, here's one for for cylists:

QUOTE
Rule 59
Clothing. You should wear

- a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct
size and securely fastened
- appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled
in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights
- light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to
see you in daylight and poor light
- reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in
the dark.
ENDQUOTE

Obviously, all cyclists respect that rule, I should think. Probably.

Then, theres:

QUOTE:
Rule 62
Cycle Tracks.
[ ... ] Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older
or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to
slow down and *stop* *if* *necessary*. Take care near road junctions as
you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.
ENDQUOTE

See that? "Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty
seeing other road users, who might not notice you".

IOW, the much-vaunted Highway Code takes account of the reality that
cyclists are not always as visible as they "think".

And what about that injunction to be prepared to *stop* where the
cyclist might otherwise endanger a pedestrian?

Fancy that...

Of course, there's always:

QUOTE:
Rule 66
You should

- [ ... ]
- [ ... ]
- [ ... ]
- not ride close behind another vehicle
- not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled
up with your wheels or chain
- be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially
sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for
example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a
bell be fitted.
ENDQUOTE

The Highway Code doesn't "recommend" cycling in the middle of the road
or lane as claimed, but it does recommend fitting (and using) a bell.

And as we know, cyclists really honour the Highway Code, don't they?

But perhaps more in the breach than the observance.

Then, of course, there's this one:

QUOTE:
Rule 68
You MUST NOT

- [ ... ]
- [ ... ]
- ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner
- ride when under the influence of drink or drugs, including medicine.
ENDQUOTE

And no cyclist *ever* rides in such a manner, do they? Or under the
"influence of drink", despite us being told here, many more times than
once, that it is "alright" for a cyclist to ride on (any part of) the
highway whilst affected by alcohol.

Then we start getting into the really big stuff:

QUOTE:
Rule 71
You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red ...
ENDQUOTE

Note that there are no listed exceptions to that. Not for self-perceived
and contrived notions of "safety" or anything else. Red means *stop* and
stay there until the light turns green.

But...

Old July 20th 20, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 11:51:30 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 10:22 20 Jul 2020, Simon Mason said:

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 10:20:26 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

On 13:52 14 Jul 2020, Mike Collins said:

Please substantiate your absurd claim that:

"The Highway Code ... recommends cycling in the centre of the lane".

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/defa...t/public/media
/%5Bfile%3Amime%5D/roadpositioning-3.jpg?itok=2ZgMYIhy

That's what a cycling presure group advocates. The Highway Code doesn't
advocate it, which is what Mike Collins claims.

The Highway Code is very basic - think of it as advice from the cycling equivalent of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (Now IAM RoadSmart) who are a motoring charity.
Old July 20th 20, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 20/07/2020 14:49, Simon Mason wrote:

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 11:51:30 AM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 10:22 20 Jul 2020, Simon Mason said:
On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 10:20:26 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:52 14 Jul 2020, Mike Collins said:

Please substantiate your absurd claim that:

"The Highway Code ... recommends cycling in the centre of the lane".

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/defa...t/public/media
/%5Bfile%3Amime%5D/roadpositioning-3.jpg?itok=2ZgMYIhy

That's what a cycling presure group advocates. The Highway Code doesn't
advocate it, which is what Mike Collins claims.

The Highway Code is very basic - think of it as advice from the cycling equivalent of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (Now IAM RoadSmart) who are a motoring charity.

The Highway Code isn't published by a pressure group of the same lack of
status as "cyclinguk.org".

It is published by a government department (currently the Department for
Transport) with the authority of Parliament, via HMSO. It is totally
official and doesn't advise cyclists to ride in the middle of the road
or lane. Only unauthorised, self-appointed, persons and bodies do that.
Old July 20th 20, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/defa...tent/public/me
dia /%5Bfile%3Amime%5D/roadpositioning-3.jpg?itok=2ZgMYIhy

That's what a cycling presure group advocates. The Highway Code doesn't
advocate it, which is what Mike Collins claims.

The Highway Code is very basic - think of it as advice from the cycling
equivalent of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (Now IAM RoadSmart)
who are a motoring charity.

I am not arguing for or against cycling in the middle of the lane
(although I have my views). I am pointing out that it's incorrect to say
it is advised by the Highway Code, wich is what Mike Collins claims.