Performance Ultra Shorts or Ultra Bib Shorts-opinions

Old March 2nd 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Performance Ultra Shorts or Ultra Bib Shorts-opinions

Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
held up?

Thanks,

JBIthaca

Old March 2nd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JBIthaca wrote:
Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
held up?

My "best bibs" are an older pair of Ultras. Unfortunately, they changed the
material last year to something stretchier and slipperier (fun making up
words), and I don't care for it nearly as much. YMMV.

They hold up fine.

Bill S.

Old March 2nd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per JBIthaca:
Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
held up?

If you mean bib vs regular, I'd say they each work for different situations.

I've both and, after an initial period of liking the bibs because they cradle my
gut fat instead of having it hang over a waistband, I've gone back to the
regular shorts most of the time. The reason for me is heat/comfort. Unless
it's pretty cold, the extra material of the bib shorts feels uncomfortably warm.
It's probably not a global overheating issue - just the wrong thing in the wrong
place at the wrong time.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 2nd 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JBIthaca wrote:

Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they

held up?

I started shopping at Performance in the mid '80s when they 1st opened
their Santa Monica store. Since then I have never purchased one of the
Performance brand of clothing that has been satisfactory. I have
occasionally been tempted by a piece of clothing - great price, just
what I need, etc. & bought it (I don't learn very fast sometimes) only
to be sorely disappointed, until ~1995. Perhaps they have changed, but
I doubt it. And I'm not going to find out. I'll buy brand names there
if the price is right.

Good luck, John

Old March 2nd 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JBIthaca wrote:
Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
held up?

Thanks,

JBIthaca

Bibs for sure.
I use the Ultras and like-em.
Happy riding.........

Old March 2nd 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

john wrote:
JBIthaca wrote:

Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they

held up?

I started shopping at Performance in the mid '80s when they 1st opened
their Santa Monica store. Since then I have never purchased one of the
Performance brand of clothing that has been satisfactory. I have
occasionally been tempted by a piece of clothing - great price, just
what I need, etc. & bought it (I don't learn very fast sometimes) only
to be sorely disappointed, until ~1995. Perhaps they have changed, but
I doubt it. And I'm not going to find out. I'll buy brand names there
if the price is right.

Good luck, John

Good shorts, and good shoes, are well worth the extra money. Spend a
bit more in the beginning to get a better quality pair of shorts and
not only will you be happier with the fit/feel/etc... they'll last
longer, too.

In other words, while Performance brand shorts are inexpensive, they're
not a particularly good value.

Old March 3rd 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 Mar 2006 10:39:31 -0800, "JBIthaca" wrote:

Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
held up?

Thanks,

JBIthaca

Hi, I use a variety of Performance shorts, and jerseys. All have been
decent quality, very good value for money, when purchased on sale.

I'm a member of Team Performance and it only takes a few orderd to be
ahead.

I had one problem with a pair of the gel pad shorts, the seam on the
bottom of the leg let go. I returned them, after having them for a
number of months and they sent me a new pair.

I like the Ultras, but prefer the gel chamois. I'd say, give them a
try.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old March 3rd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"JBIthaca" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
held up?

Thanks,

JBIthaca

Yes I have both. Although the bibs are great when it is cooler they do tend
to run hotter though. The shorts are cooler when it is hot out.
Bibs are neat in that it keeps the waistband from rolling down on you, if
you have that body shape.
The major disadvantage of bibs, is if you have to go to the bathroom, you
pretty much have to strip down most of the way to do your business.
That is especially difficult when you are trying to use a portapottie out
someplace. Not counting the yucky factor either.
I also do not like the gel versions as the gel pad is too thick and it
tends to bunch up on you causing discomfort.

Old March 3rd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

For what it's worth, I've got a pair of their former top-o-the line
(for Performance at least :P) that I bought 7 years ago. I'd say I've
got three years of actually riding in them and am flabbergasted at the
quality of the shorts. Not Pearl Izumi mind, but the lycra is really
heavy weight and they look to be able to go another three years. A
great value.

Old March 3rd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
,
"Earl Bollinger" wrote:

"JBIthaca" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
held up?

Thanks,

JBIthaca

Yes I have both. Although the bibs are great when it is cooler they do tend
to run hotter though. The shorts are cooler when it is hot out.
Bibs are neat in that it keeps the waistband from rolling down on you, if
you have that body shape.
The major disadvantage of bibs, is if you have to go to the bathroom, you
pretty much have to strip down most of the way to do your business.
That is especially difficult when you are trying to use a portapottie out
someplace. Not counting the yucky factor either.

The bibs I have are hemmed at the navel; the elastic
material can be pulled down in front without shifting the
straps.

[...]

--
Michael Press