NZ: Injured cyclist left stunned as driver scarpers

Old June 1st 06, 12:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default NZ: Injured cyclist left stunned as driver scarpers

Front Page Feature
Howick and Pakuranga Times
http://tinyurl.com/pbvud

Injured cyclist left stunned as driver scarpers
By NIC DALEY

Thursday, 01 June 2006

A CYCLIST was left stunned and barely able to stagger after a 4WD
ploughed into him and the driver failed to stop at the accident last
week.

Whitford resident Matt Hinton, 20, was riding his road-racing bike down
Pakuranga Rd just after 6pm last Thursday, when a 4WD turned in front
of him, knocking him to the ground.

"I was approaching William Roberts Rd and one car turned in front of
me, which was all right, but then the car behind him followed," Mr
Hinton says.

"That was the one that basically collected me on the side."

He was taken to hospital after suffering moderate injuries.

"I got two fractured vertebrae in my back, and one side of my upper
leg is all grazed and has road rash and is raw.

"The other side of my upper leg also got road rash and what looks
like tyre burn marks from the car."

However Mr Hinton says he's not too concerned about his injuries,
rather that the offending driver did not stop.

"The guy's obviously done a criminal offence and he hasn't
stopped at the scene of an accident where potentially I could have
died. He didn't stop at all, just kept going."

He wants the driver to come forward, or any witnesses to the incident
to contact police.

"He was lucky to miss my leg," he says.

"There wasn't anything I could do, I couldn't brake or avoid it.

"I thought initially he may stop but he didn't, so I just tried to
loosen up and slide with it."

The driver behind the 4WD assisted Mr Hinton, but didn't get the rego
of the 4WD.

"She saw him hit me and me go flying, and she stopped and made sure I
was okay."

The racing bicycle, which had lights on the front and rear, was
extensively damaged.

And Mr Hinton, told to rest for some weeks, is unsure as to how he will
sit university exams.

He has been cycling for about five years and rides competitively in
Counties Manukau.

He also organises the Botany Bunch, a social group riding from the
Botany Town Centre.

He says another member of the bunch was hit on the same road earlier
this year, and hopes this incident won't change how he feels on the
road.

Any information on a dark coloured 4WD to Howick police, 538-0300.

[Photo caption: Injured cyclist Matt Hinton is disappointed the driver
who knocked him off his bike did not stop. Times photo Michelle Hyslop]

Old June 1st 06, 02:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

*scum·bag* (-n-. Slang) A person regarded as despicable, a hit-and-run
driver.

--
treadly&me

Old June 1st 06, 03:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle

treadly&me Wrote:
*scum·bag* (-n-. Slang) A person regarded as despicable, a hit-and-run
driver.

*Turd*: The best and most offensive insult you can call anyone, in all
situations:

-What a complete and utter turd-

This definition, and more creative insults can be found at:
'urban dictionary' (http://www.urbandictionary.com/)

--
cfsmtb

Old June 1st 06, 12:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle

thats great. Next year you can post "Ice caps have melted killing 4 billion
people"
PRIORITIES. DENIAL. ADDRESS REALITY.

"What we're talking about here, is late night, early morning, low
clouds." www.iamthewitness.com
Is Science and Reality still important or has it taken
a backseat to the fictional tales told by western politicians?
http://www.physics.byu.edu/research/energy/htm7.html

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Front Page Feature
Howick and Pakuranga Times
http://tinyurl.com/pbvud

Old June 2nd 06, 02:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle

harbinger wrote:

thats great. Next year you can post "Ice caps have melted killing 4 billion
people"
PRIORITIES. DENIAL. ADDRESS REALITY.

Well, if there's an article on it, that's relevant to cycling, I suppose
I might.