Another pedestrian killed by a motorist

Old June 1st 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Another pedestrian killed by a motorist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5035986.stm reports the
death of another pedestrian killed while walking along the pavement.
Another was seriously injured. Crashes like this are never mentioned
by those whining about pavement cyclists.

As the article is short, here it is:

A 52-year-old woman died and a man was seriously injured after they
were hit by a car on Wednesday evening.

Police said a dark green Subaru Legacy apparently left the B4267
Lavernock Road in Sully, Penarth, at about 1915 BST and mounted a
footpath.

A 52-year-old woman was killed and a 54-year-old man suffered
extensive injuries. He is in a serious condition in hospital.

Police have appealed for witnesses to the accident.

A South Wales Police spokesperson said: "It is known that the Subaru
motor car was travelling East along Lavernock Road from the
direction of Sully towards Penarth.

"The two pedestrians were walking on the northern footpath towards
Sully. It would appear that the Subaru has left the road and mounted
the footpath where the vehicle struck both pedestrians."

David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old June 1st 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"David Hansen" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5035986.stm reports the
death of another pedestrian killed while walking along the pavement.
Another was seriously injured. Crashes like this are never mentioned
by those whining about pavement cyclists.

As the article is short, here it is:

Sorry David, sad as it is, I cannot see what this has to do *with* cycling.

Old June 1st 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

elyob wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5035986.stm reports the
death of another pedestrian killed while walking along the pavement.
Another was seriously injured. Crashes like this are never mentioned
by those whining about pavement cyclists.

As the article is short, here it is:

Sorry David, sad as it is, I cannot see what this has to do *with*
cycling.

Agreed - needs to be in uk.rec.driving or uk.transport if the point needs to
be made.

Old June 1st 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Hansen wrote:
Police said a dark green Subaru Legacy apparently left the B4267
Lavernock Road in Sully, Penarth, at about 1915 BST and mounted a
footpath.

Mounted a footpath, eh? Must have been an off-duty cyclist.

d.

Old June 1st 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

elyob wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5035986.stm reports the
death of another pedestrian killed while walking along the pavement.
Another was seriously injured. Crashes like this are never mentioned
by those whining about pavement cyclists.

As the article is short, here it is:

Sorry David, sad as it is, I cannot see what this has to do *with* cycling.

His gaff, his rules. He has linked it by mentioning pavement cycling,
which does turn up as a topic rather regularly in this group. By the
way, if you Google search all the Groups for "cyclists + pavement +
pedestrians", you get 4,160 hits. A search for "motorists + pavement +
pedestrians" produces 1,740. OK, it's not scientific (or interesting,
probably).

Old June 2nd 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

elyob wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5035986.stm reports the
death of another pedestrian killed while walking along the pavement.
Another was seriously injured. Crashes like this are never mentioned
by those whining about pavement cyclists.

As the article is short, here it is:

Sorry David, sad as it is, I cannot see what this has to do *with* cycling.

I think it does indirectly. I believe that some 15% of pedestrian
fatalities occur after a motor vehicle has left the road.
Firstly this means that a ped is N (where N is a large positive number)
times more likely to be injured by a motor vehicle than a cyclist when
on the footpath.
Secondly, it shows that riding on the 'pavement' does not mean you are
safe from motor vehicles.
Of course some motorists drive on the footpath because it saves them time.
You can see a clip of this sort of action at:
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/campaigning/issues/mcls/
These clips were taken to highlight abuse of MCLs, which police in
Cambridgeshire 'do not consider a safety issue', but movie 2 shows
drivers, including a driving instructor, with 2 wheels in an MCL and 2
wheels on the pavement.

Actions like this at both these locations are an almost daily occurance

Jim Chisholm

Old June 2nd 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Hansen wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5035986.stm reports the
death of another pedestrian killed while walking along the pavement.
Another was seriously injured. Crashes like this are never mentioned
by those whining about pavement cyclists.

Could it perhaps be because there is no comparison?

Can you not distinguish between the deliberate act of cycling on a
pavement, despite it being illegal, and despite it causing anxiety to
pedestrians, and the unfortunate consequences of a motorist losing
control of a vehicle and mounting a pavement without a conscience
decision to so do?

Now if you can state cases where motorists are deliberately and
systematically driving along pavements with all four wheels and swerving
between pedestrians and crossing side roads rather than using the roads,
for substantial parts of their journeys[1], then that probably would be
newsworthy.

[1] Does not include crossing to a property, parking with two wheels on,
one back wheel on while turning a corner, temporarily bumping two wheels
up to squeeze through a gap - it means using it like cyclists do.

--
Matt B
Old June 2nd 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I think it does indirectly. I believe that some 15% of pedestrian
fatalities occur after a motor vehicle has left the road.
Firstly this means that a ped is N (where N is a large positive number)
times more likely to be injured by a motor vehicle than a cyclist when on
the footpath.

Yebbut in the fatalities, the cyclist choses to be on the pavement the
motorist generally doesn't.

Old June 2nd 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Hansen wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:02:25 +0100 someone who may be Matt B
wrote this:-

Can you not distinguish between the deliberate act of cycling on a
pavement, despite it being illegal, and despite it causing anxiety to
pedestrians,

People cycling on the pavement seldom cause this pedestrian anxiety,
unlike motorists driving on the pavement.

Can you cite cases where motorists are deliberately and systematically
driving along pavements with all four wheels, swerving between
pedestrians and crossing side roads rather than using the roads?

and the unfortunate consequences of a motorist losing
control of a vehicle

Yet you don't appear to believe that if a cyclist crashes into a
pedestrian they may have lost control of their vehicle.

What leads you to think that? Are you suggesting that all those who
cycle on the pavement have lost control of their cycle? I *am*
suggesting that the cars on pavements that you often refer are *not*
there by choice.

Why the
double standard?

No double standard. Cyclists can loose it as motorists can, but I'm not
aware of any significant pavement motoring, but I am aware of
significant illegal pavement cycling.

--
Matt B
Old June 2nd 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Matt B said the following on 02/06/2006 12:02:

Now if you can state cases where motorists are deliberately and
systematically driving along pavements with all four wheels and swerving
between pedestrians and crossing side roads rather than using the roads,
for substantial parts of their journeys[1], then that probably would be
newsworthy.

Weeeell.... funny you should mention that! Had to go out in the
company van just now, and driving along the cycle/footpath leading to
work was a white Escort-type van. This wasn't just a white line on the
road - this is a full-blown wide pavement complete with kerb! There
weren't any peds or cyclists at the time though.

And as for cars driving on pavements crossing side streets, I haven't
seen that happen, but a ped crossing near me was used regularly by
motorists leaving a car park by some shops. As in they actually drove
up to the lights, pressed the button and waited, or just went across the
crossing when the green man was on. The council have now put up
railings after several complaints, but it wasn't fun before that!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Industry Leader-NBG Sponsor Killed in Bike Crash Cycle America General 1 July 12th 05 08:02 PM
Cross-country cyclist killed Garrison Hilliard General 1 June 20th 05 07:42 PM
Pedestrian Crossings Sir Lex Australia 28 May 30th 05 03:43 AM
Young cyclist killed Brian General 208 February 12th 04 01:09 AM
2 cyclists killed in Florida Mann General 0 February 9th 04 08:08 PM