New helmet technology?

Old March 2nd 12, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New helmet technology?

http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 2nd 12, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Dacey

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:18:28 -0700, wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Perhaps this design might have application in motorsport where the
innermost helmet liner is more effectively coupled to the wearer's
head, but typical retention straps on bicycle helmets already allow
for plenty of "float" between helmet and skull.

At least as it relates to bikes, I think the chief benefit is likely
to be providing the mips people with a nice sinecure.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Our 28th year
http://businesscycles.com
-------------------------------
Old March 3rd 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 2, 7:35 am, John Dacey wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:18:28 -0700, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Perhaps this design might have application in motorsport where the
innermost helmet liner is more effectively coupled to the wearer's
head, but typical retention straps on bicycle helmets already allow
for plenty of "float" between helmet and skull.

At least as it relates to bikes, I think the chief benefit is likely
to be providing the mips people with a nice sinecure.

POC MIPS are basically designed for freestyle downhill skiing, I
think, but could find a good application in e.g. downhill bicycling.
(This opinion from someone who's crashed more different ways than most
people.)
Old March 2nd 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Mar 2, 3:18*am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.
Old March 2nd 12, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 02/03/12 15:49, thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?
Old March 2nd 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?

I have one. It looks so vintage displayed with the vintage bike on the
wall.

Not much protection but they are a lot cooler than styrofoam lined
ones.

Cheers
Old March 2nd 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?

I have one. It looks so vintage displayed with the vintage bike on the
wall.

Not much protection but they are a lot cooler than styrofoam lined
ones.

That was my thinking, couldn't they be fabricated with EPF instead of the old
soft foam. Motorbike racers use leathers, can't be all bad...

Old March 3rd 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?

I have one. It looks so vintage displayed with the vintage bike on the
wall.

Not much protection but they are a lot cooler than styrofoam lined
ones.

That was my thinking, couldn't they be fabricated with EPF instead of the old
soft foam. Motorbike racers use leathers, can't be all bad...

Purely abrasion protection (and modest puncture protection) - no
impact protection. Also, they look cool with custom design and chicks
dig 'em.
Old March 3rd 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 2, 7:49 am, thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Anyone is free to wear one (unless their religion forbids it, I
suppose), but it seems to me it would be relatively hot and
ineffective.

Old March 3rd 12, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 1, 7:18 pm, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...62efb550cbbebf

RAAM technology [email protected] Racing 5 June 4th 10 12:24 AM
New helmet technology [email protected] Techniques 6 August 3rd 09 09:26 PM
When is enough cycle technology too much? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 5 April 29th 09 05:54 AM
new cycling technology G.fried UK 28 December 23rd 06 09:34 AM
seat technology muniracer Unicycling 4 December 2nd 03 04:40 PM