East meets West in Portland

Old September 8th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default East meets West in Portland

On 2018-09-07 12:15, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 9/7/2018 10:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:

On a slightly different note, I'm always amazed at tourists
coming to Portland. There is nothing to see except a staggering
amount of homeless and the usual neo-Bohemian culture, which
loses its novelty after the fifth pedal beer-cycle or second trip
to Powell's Books.

Hey, we love Powell's Books! If we get bored after our second visit
to the main store, we go to the Powell's branch stores.

(Does the Powell's tech book store still exist?)

The freestanding technical book store closed and went into the
Burnside store. The real estate probably got too expensive.
They've expanded some of the other stores.
http://www.powells.com/locations

Less and less people read books. Seems to be similar with newspapers.
I've had the WSJ and now the FT, neither can get the distributor to
provide a reliable paper delivery every morning though the FT is
slightly better in that domain (so far). "But you can always read the
ePaper" ... I want a real newspaper.

The one good thing I can say about Portland and PDX is that the Port
of Portland, which operates PDX, requires its lessees to charge the
same at the airport as they do off-property.

That means they aren't gouging their concession holders, else there soon
wouldn't be any concession holders left. Different in Sacramento,
everything is pricey there. But they had to have their million dollar
"art rabbit". Many people just make a fist in the pocket and pay up.
Once I saw a couple pour out their water bottles before the TSA check
and they were about to chuck them into the recycling bin when I said
"Don't. You can refill them at a drinking fountain on the other side
instead of buying overpriced bottles" ... "Oh, good idea! Thanks!".

I always thought the SMF was a tidy, convenient airport with lots of flights. If I were to relocate, it would be to a place with a similar, regional airport. I don't want to move to a place where you have to drive for half a day or take a puddle-jumper to get to a real airport.

... So, a book a the
Powell's PDX store is the same as its downtown store. I've bought
some incredibly cheap sale-table airplane reading material there.
The same goes with all the airport vendors. A bad, overpriced cup of
Starbucks is the same at PDX as downtown. Even ten years ago, I
think I paid almost $5 for a crappy Starbuck's latte at JFK or EWR
(Newark). I hope east never meets west. PDX is a great airport.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...est-us-airport

I mean, maybe we could use some slot machines like Vegas, and I'm
not excited about the new arriving passenger exits/waiting area, but
sacrifices must be made for security. Otherwise, thumbs up. For the
alcoholics on departing flights, you can even buy artisinal booze:
https://flypdx.com/PDX/ShopsAndServices#/id/4 Pick up some Volstead
Vodka for the trip to Salt Lake. No drinking on the plane, however
(or at least I haven't tried).

To qualify as a truly Oregonian place PDX should have a brewpub right on
the premises :-)

Laurelwood has an outpost. http://www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com/ No brewing, AFAIK. Laurelwood sponsored Team Oregon for many years. https://www.lincolnbarbour.com/wp-co..._7572-7621.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.