Linear pull caliper brakes

Old July 2nd 05, 06:37 PM
Peter B

Default Linear pull caliper brakes

Espied on a bike in todays TDF time trial. They looked like centre pull
types but with a noodle fitted to one arm and the cable fixed to the other,
rather than using a straddle wire.
Well, they're new to me anyway.
--
Pete

Old July 2nd 05, 09:21 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

At Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:37:48 +0000 (UTC), message
was posted by
"Peter B" , including some, all or none of the
following:

Espied on a bike in todays TDF time trial. They looked like centre pull
types but with a noodle fitted to one arm and the cable fixed to the other,
rather than using a straddle wire.

V-brakes on road bikes? Coo!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old July 2nd 05, 10:05 PM
the.Mark

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
At Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:37:48 +0000 (UTC), message
was posted by
"Peter B" , including some, all or none of the
following:

Espied on a bike in todays TDF time trial. They looked like centre
pull types but with a noodle fitted to one arm and the cable fixed
to the other, rather than using a straddle wire.

V-brakes on road bikes? Coo!

Guy

And it seems that biopace, or something on the same lines, is being tried
again by some riders.
--
the.Mark

Old July 2nd 05, 10:55 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , the.Mark
') wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
At Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:37:48 +0000 (UTC), message
was posted by
"Peter B" , including some, all or none of
the following:

Espied on a bike in todays TDF time trial. They looked like centre
pull types but with a noodle fitted to one arm and the cable fixed
to the other, rather than using a straddle wire.

V-brakes on road bikes? Coo!

And it seems that biopace, or something on the same lines, is being
tried again by some riders.

No, elipticals. See the egg-ding bloke, whom you can find on the web.
Elipticals have been in use among some track bike circles for at least
thirty years to my knowledge, and there is a different theory to them
than to Biopace. Biopace is about smoothing power delivery, AIUI
elipticals are about giving you a higher effective ratio on the
downstroke and a lower one through TDC, so more or less the opposite
effect.

'You cannot put "The Internet" into the Recycle Bin.'

Old July 2nd 05, 11:19 PM
the.Mark

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message
, the.Mark
') wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
[...]

Ok, I didn't notice the detail.

Talking of biopace, my old [1] Rockhopper which has been
roadified has a granny biopace ring and round middle and outer
rings. I used to think biopace was great but now when I change to
the granny it feels totally unnatural. Luckily I just use the
bike for commuting and never need the granny. :-)
--
the.Mark

Old July 3rd 05, 08:32 AM
Peter B

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
At Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:37:48 +0000 (UTC), message
was posted by
"Peter B" , including some, all or none of the
following:

Espied on a bike in todays TDF time trial. They looked like centre pull
types but with a noodle fitted to one arm and the cable fixed to the

other,
rather than using a straddle wire.

V-brakes on road bikes? Coo!

Not really, there were no bosses on the stays. Instead some sort of mongrel
brake using a single fixing on the bridge (I only saw a rear brake) and
resembling a centre pull brake rather than a V.

--
Pete