[SecMTB] Drifter Magoebaskloof MTB Challenge 2003 - Race Report

Old November 7th 03, 05:17 PM
Johann S.

Default [SecMTB] Drifter Magoebaskloof MTB Challenge 2003 - Race Report

Magoebaskloof is in South-Africa.

Drifter Magoebaskloof MTB Challenge 2003 - Terry the Spinman

The Magoebaskloof MTB Challenge has to be one of the most
exciting races on the MTB calendar. Call me sentimental, but
Magoebaskloof was my first ever Mountain Bike race back in
1999 so it holds a special place in my heart. My friends
Astrid and Fino Rech called one day to say they had entered
me for this Mountain Bike race, the fact that I didn't even
own a mountain bike didn't deter them, they had that all
organised and I would ride a borrowed bike. In those days we
used to start from the Hotel and I remember how indignant I
felt being referred to as a "Wossie" as I lined up for the
35km ride. My first experience of off road riding, as we hit
the first forest road with all its corrugations, was one I
will always remember. "This is horrible" I thought as I was
shaken about and choked on the dust. I had no idea how to
change gears so rode the whole race in the middle cog. I fell
badly on one downhill skidding a few meters on the slippery
surface, got up quickly, embarrassed in case anyone witnessed
it, ah the road riding mentality of if you fall you're an
idiot with no riding skills. My friends seeing the tell tail
mud smears down my side laughed hysterically, "You only fell
once" they joked "welcome to Mountain Biking". By the end of
that race I was hooked and immediately purchased my first MTB
on returning to Joberg, the rest is history

This years event had 800 entrants. Again there were the
thrill seeking dirt warriors all set and ready for the 75km
extreme challenge, and the "Wossies" for the 35km shorter
route. I am very pleased to hear from Drifter organisers that
there will be more emphasis placed on the middle distance at
races in the series next year to get rid of this Wossie
stigma and give the shorter distance more credibility. I
think this is great for the growth of the sport

An early 06h30 start saw the 75km riders going out in blazing
sunshine and race director, Rudi Viljoen, warned of
temperatures rising to 40 degrees and no chance of rain. This
is the driest I have ever seen Magoebas and I knocked a full
hour off my time from last year in these fast rolling
conditions. It also had it's down side though as there was
little traction on the extreme downhill's on the first part
of the course. Lose rock and dirt made riding hair raising
descents difficult and I was among many who took a tumble on
the "Bum Slide" 3km from the start. The rider in front of me
came down and I followed leaving my bike and rolling about
5mts down the slope. No harm done I took the opportunity to
take a few photos of other unfortunates negotiating this
tricky descent

The two logs across the river created a bit of a bottle neck
but riders were still cheerful and not too perturbed by the
slow progress. A bit of advice if you ever ride this race,
the right hand log has a flatter top due to decay and is
easier to balance on. A second stop at the embankment leading
up to the tar road crossing saw the rider behind nearly rear
ending me, not realizing we were stopping again he slammed on
brakes so violently he went straight over his handle bars,
getting a huge cheer from the crowd

From the tar road to the tea plantations the route took us
high along a ridge on jeep tracks and mountain paths. There
were spectacular views across the mountains towards Zaneen
and some hectic climbs and downhill's. I loved the signs that
accompanied the directional arrows along the route. "NO! This
hill never ends!!" "Getting dirty for charity" and "We
appreciate your sweat" were but a few. Others were
informative like "Did you know originally Coke-a-Cola was
green in colour" and something about men's eyesight and
women's hearing, cant remember or choose not to

The one downhill at this stage I actually had to pitch my
bike into the ditch as I went totally out of control and it
was the only way of stopping and preventing a huge tumble.
There was little or no traction on the lose dirt and most
riders negotiated these sharp declines with extreme caution.
Some of the top riders also came off worse for wear on these
perilous downhill's, Koos Groenewald having to have his knee
stitched at the finish and Shan Wilson dislocating his
shoulder as the result of a fall. Both these athletes still
managed top positions amazingly. Once into the tea
plantations it was fast riding on wide dirt roads down into
the valley below and the lowest point on the course. This is
always one of my favorite sections with the tea bushes
perfectly manicured resembling bright green rugs draped over
the landscape cut through by the access dirt roads. From the
top you can see riders below enjoying the swift descent

It was back across the tar road and a stunning ride along the
edge of the Magoebaskloof dam. Last year this was a ride
through a muddy swamp but this year riders were able to relax
and enjoy the reflections of mountain and sky in a totally
calm surface. Bark stripping and the odd log and tree branch
gave riders some interesting obstacles to negotiate on this
flat section before starting the climb up through the forest.
The two river crossings were great fun, slipping and sliding
on mossy rocks and then up the muddy embankment. It was cool
in the forest but the day was rapidly heating up. There were
a few pushes up steep embankments that were made easier by
the dry conditions, I remember last year slipping down more
than progressing up

The big climb up Wood Bush Drive is always hard and this year
was no exception. Hot and humid conditions with not a breeze
(unlike last weekend's gale at Rhodes) saw many riders
struggle up to the highest point on the course. The road
winds up through luscious indigenous forests and the bird
life in this area is awesome. The hill just seems to go on
and on and the top eventually cant come soon enough. There is
a 1km to go sign just when you feel like you cant pedal
another centimeter. "1km to go signs should be banned" said
John Paul Pearton, winner of this years race, "course
designers just cant measure 1 km correctly" he said, always
laughing and joking after a race. I was pleased to see the
water point was at the top this year, psychologically this
worked better for me. While on this subject the water points
were more than enough and manned by enthusiastic volunteers
with Coke, water and bananas galore - well done!

Once at the top it was undulating terrain all the way home
but there were still some mean hills to climb before the
finish back at Stanford Lake College. Spectacular rides
through pine forests with carpets of ferns and open
grasslands with giant tree ferns kept riders enthralled and
riders agreed this race is one of the most varied when it
comes to terrain. There were a few crossings on wooden
bridges and it was on one of these that a wooden strut broke
under my foot and I went crashing through the bridge leaving
a beautiful bloodied graze up my shin to impress my friends
with. The rider behind me had to help me out as I was truly
stuck, ah the perils of mountain biking

The atmosphere at the finish was electric as riders relayed
experiences of the ride to their fellow "mud buddies" and
loved ones. The promised beer (yes another of the signs "Cold
beer waiting for you at the finish") had riders jovial and
celebrating their achievement on the ride and the Boks win
over Samoa at the Rugby World Cup At the beginning of 2003 I
set myself the goal of completing 8 of the 10 Drifter Classic
Races and Magoebaskloof saw that goal accomplished, who would
have thought that my first mountain bike race, here in the
Magoebas mountains, back in 1999 would ignite such a passion
for the sport Well done to every rider who completed this
event you are all Champions!

Terry the Spinman

--

QUIPd 1.02: (292 of 671)
- `Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow. Linus's
Old November 8th 03, 01:06 AM
miles todd

Johann S. wrote:

snip long and interesting race report

That's the kind of racing I like. A fast course that still challenges
the top riders as well as the beginners. Well done, but what I want to
know is where the link to the photos went?

Miles

Old November 8th 03, 04:43 AM
Johann S.

miles todd Said:

Johann S. wrote:

snip long and interesting race report

That's the kind of racing I like. A fast course that still challenges
the top riders as well as the beginners. Well done, but what I want to
know is where the link to the photos went?

Sorry, this is a report a friend sent to me. I didn't write it. I'll
see if I can find a link for it.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (44 of 671)
- People who want to share their religious views with you
Old November 8th 03, 04:46 AM
Johann S.

miles todd Said:

Johann S. wrote:

snip long and interesting race report

That's the kind of racing I like. A fast course that still challenges
the top riders as well as the beginners. Well done, but what I want to
know is where the link to the photos went?

Sorry,

here it is:

http://www.supercycling.co.za/conten...e.asp?cId=8334

or

http://tinyurl.com/u5tn

--

QUIPd 1.02: (429 of 671)
- A fool and his money are my best friends.