If I were to promote the benefits of biking, I'd put a lady

Old May 4th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Z.

Default HELMETS!!!

Tom Sherman writes:

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Jym Dyer wrote:
=v= In response to a rather nice advert:
http://www.thespincycle.com/files/20...Commercial.pdf

It is nice to see that someone is sensible enough to realize that a
foam bicycle hat is NOT necessary for utility cycling. Oh wait, the
much more safety conscious northern Europeans (relative to USians)
generally do not wear the foam hats while cycling, except for the
racer types.

When I looked at the PDF file, it showed some sort of screen snapshot
with large black areas and some tiny yellow icons. It was completely
meaningless. Maybe there was something my PDF viewer didn't recognize,
but nothing I saw had anything to do with helmets.
Is Sherman imagining things or just ranting?

Yo Zaumem - Victor Kan posted the link and Jym Dyer commented on
it. Are they just ranting also? Sheesh!

Don't know about Victor Kan (never having read his posts) but Jym Dyer,
unlike you, doesn't have an anti-helmet agenda.

When opening the link, you should get an Adobe® Clip Notes® video
window that plays a commercial for "The Spin Cycle" which is a bicycle
shop in Cary, NC. In the video, the woman cyclist featured is NOT
wearing a foam bicycle hat (but the Lycra® wearing roadie hitting on
her is).

The link works in Firefox 2.0.0.14.

I'm running the lastest firefox available on the particular Linux
distribution I'm using, and it starts "evince" as a PDF viewer. It
didn't show anything meaningful.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old May 4th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Jym Dyer wrote:
[...]

Which has nothing at all to do whether a video link can be viewed on a
webpage, does it now?

I do not have an anti-helmet agenda, I have an anti-misinformation
agenda. Bicycle foam hats can provide useful bump and scrape protection.

When opening the link, you should get an Adobe® Clip Notes® video
window that plays a commercial for "The Spin Cycle" which is a bicycle
shop in Cary, NC. In the video, the woman cyclist featured is NOT
wearing a foam bicycle hat (but the Lycra® wearing roadie hitting on
her is).

The link works in Firefox 2.0.0.14.

I'm running the lastest firefox available on the particular Linux
distribution I'm using, and it starts "evince" as a PDF viewer. It
didn't show anything meaningful.

You are the computer expert with the best system - you tell me why the
link is not working. My guess [1] is that since it asks for Windows
Media Player, it may not be Linux compatible.

[1] n.b.

Old May 4th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Z.

Tom Sherman writes:

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Jym Dyer wrote:
[...]

It has a lot to do with you just ranting as I said (listing that as a
possibility).

I do not have an anti-helmet agenda, I have an anti-misinformation
agenda. Bicycle foam hats can provide useful bump and scrape
protection.

Oh please.

I'm running the lastest firefox available on the particular Linux
distribution I'm using, and it starts "evince" as a PDF viewer. It
didn't show anything meaningful.

You are the computer expert with the best system - you tell me why the
link is not working. My guess [1] is that since it asks for Windows
Media Player, it may not be Linux compatible.

This may surprise you, but I have better things to do with my time than
try to figure out what went wrong with something claiming to be a
PDF file (and my PDF viewer did not ask for Windows Media Player or an
equivalent).

It is well known that Adobe has been fiddling with new version of PDF
for (I presume) business reasons and has recently purchased
Macromedia, and it wouldn't be surprising if working towards
integrating these two products is part of the reason for the frequent
revisions. Frankly, I'm not interested. It's merely a business
thing.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old May 4th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Liddite Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Jym Dyer wrote:
[...]

Oh please yourself. WTF does my alleged agenda have to do with someone
not being able to view a video clip on a posted link? That is sub Mikey
V. logic. Sheesh!

I do not have an anti-helmet agenda, I have an anti-misinformation
agenda. Bicycle foam hats can provide useful bump and scrape
protection.

Oh please.

So despite all the properly performed population studies revealing NO
benefit to h*lm*t use in reducing severe head injuries and deaths with
increased bicycle foam hat use, you still imagine that lids have magical
protective properties?

[...]

Adobe® Clip Notes® as I posted above?

Frankly, I'm not interested. It's merely a business thing.

No, its an evil plot by the anti-helmet zealots to confound the Liddites!!!

So far it has worked well on Zaumen.

Old May 4th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Z.

Tom Sherman writes:

Liddite Bill Zaumen wrote:

(Infantile name calling from an idiot.)

Tom Sherman writes:

Which has nothing at all to do whether a video link can be viewed on a
webpage, does it now?

It has a lot to do with you just ranting as I said (listing that as a
possibility).

Oh please yourself. WTF does my alleged agenda have to do with someone
not being able to view a video clip on a posted link? That is sub
Mikey V. logic. Sheesh!

When you use terms like "foam hats", your agenda is pretty damn obvious.

I do not have an anti-helmet agenda, I have an anti-misinformation
agenda. Bicycle foam hats can provide useful bump and scrape
protection.

Oh please.

So despite all the properly performed population studies revealing NO
benefit to h*lm*t use in reducing severe head injuries and deaths with
increased bicycle foam hat use, you still imagine that lids have
magical protective properties?

"Lids", "magical protective properties" (that I never mentioned)? Yep,
saying you have an agenda is pretty damn accurate. If you don't want
to give that impression, you should cut out the loaded language.

It is well known that Adobe has been fiddling with new version of PDF
for (I presume) business reasons and has recently purchased
Macromedia, and it wouldn't be surprising if working towards
integrating these two products is part of the reason for the frequent
revisions.

Adobe® Clip Notes® as I posted above?

The file's extension ended in .pdf, so ...

Frankly, I'm not interested. It's merely a business thing.

No, its an evil plot by the anti-helmet zealots to confound the Liddites!!!

So far it has worked well on Zaumen.

Sherman, you are a complete and utter idiot - its the only term that
describes what one would assume from your posts.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old May 4th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

Liddite Bill Zaumen wrote:

(Infantile name calling from an idiot.)

Merely an accurate description, no?

Tom Sherman writes:

Which has nothing at all to do whether a video link can be viewed on a
webpage, does it now?
It has a lot to do with you just ranting as I said (listing that as a
possibility).

Oh please yourself. WTF does my alleged agenda have to do with someone
not being able to view a video clip on a posted link? That is sub
Mikey V. logic. Sheesh!

When you use terms like "foam hats", your agenda is pretty damn obvious.

butbutbut, the items in questions are hats made from foam!!!

I do not have an anti-helmet agenda, I have an anti-misinformation
agenda. Bicycle foam hats can provide useful bump and scrape
protection.
Oh please.

So despite all the properly performed population studies revealing NO
benefit to h*lm*t use in reducing severe head injuries and deaths with
increased bicycle foam hat use, you still imagine that lids have
magical protective properties?

"Lids", "magical protective properties" (that I never mentioned)? Yep,
saying you have an agenda is pretty damn accurate. If you don't want
to give that impression, you should cut out the loaded language.

Well, the alleged protective qualities of bicycle foam hats must be
magical, since there is no rational explanation.

It is well known that Adobe has been fiddling with new version of PDF
for (I presume) business reasons and has recently purchased
Macromedia, and it wouldn't be surprising if working towards
integrating these two products is part of the reason for the frequent
revisions.

Adobe® Clip Notes® as I posted above?

The file's extension ended in .pdf, so ...

And...

Frankly, I'm not interested. It's merely a business thing.

No, its an evil plot by the anti-helmet zealots to confound the Liddites!!!

So far it has worked well on Zaumen.

Sherman, you are a complete and utter idiot - its the only term that
describes what one would assume from your posts.

I see Zaumen does not react well to disagreement.

Old May 4th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Z.

Tom Sherman writes:

http://www.thespincycle.com/files/20...Commercial.pdf

Adobe® Clip Notes® as I posted above?

Oh, just to show what a fool Tom Sherman is, I used a program I have
that prints the HTTP response headers. Here's what you get:

Note the Content-Type header - it claims the file is a PDF file. The
extension ".pdf" is the extension normally used by a PDF file. So,
do you think it is surprising that my browser would try to open it
as a PDF file?

Nothing about some special "Adobe® Clip Notes®" format was given.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old May 4th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill Zaumen wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

http://www.thespincycle.com/files/20...Commercial.pdf

Adobe® Clip Notes® as I posted above?

Oh, just to show what a fool Tom Sherman is, I used a program I have
that prints the HTTP response headers. Here's what you get:

Note the Content-Type header - it claims the file is a PDF file. The
extension ".pdf" is the extension normally used by a PDF file. So,
do you think it is surprising that my browser would try to open it
as a PDF file?

Nothing about some special "Adobe® Clip Notes®" format was given.

Yo Zaumen,

My browser also opens the link as a PDF.

When I go to the link, it says "Adobe® Clip Notes®" right above the
black box displayed on the page.

Furthermore, the dialog box that appears says, "This PDF uses Adobe Clip
Notes technology to allow you to review a movie and to add comments...."

Then player controls and a box to allow review comments appears below
the "black box" that allows one to play the video clip.

To bad computer expert Zaumen can not get his computer to work with the
web page, so he would not look like a fool for calling me a fool, since
everyone else who opens the page can clearly see the evidence of Adobe®
Clip Notes® being used on the page.

So who is the fool here?

Better luck next time.

Old May 4th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

On May 3, 11:06 pm, (Bill Z.) wrote:

When you use terms like "foam hats", your agenda is pretty damn obvious.

"Lids", "magical protective properties" ... If you don't want
to give that impression, you should cut out the loaded language.

Or in other words: Tom, stop thy blaspheming! Thou shalt use only
the proper, sacred language when referring to the revered headpiece!

Likewise, thou shalt not use science to examine the effects of the
revered head covering! Such is the way of the devil, you heretic!

;-)

- Frank Krygowski