Wheel walking.

Old November 24th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

Default Wheel walking.

Jamin;1136984 wrote:
... Keep in mind, because you are going slower you will also need to
focus on balancing side to side with your arms. So practising slow
riding will help in this department. Also falling to one side can be
prevented by steering towards that direction, as per normal riding.

I think the problem I am having right now is that I have not figured
out how to steer and catch myself as I fall sideways. When I get that
figured out I should have it. I have spent a lot of time holding onto
walls just to practice the foot position and motion. My longest
un-assisted WW has been about 10 feet but then I fall sideways.

I gotta learn to steer.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
heals the disease. - Voltaire
Old November 25th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rolandisimo

I'm finally getting the hang of WW after quite a bit of practice. There
is a lot of good advice in this thread and elsewhere. However, there
are 3 things that helped me that I have not seen mentioned.
1. What exactly does 'lean back' mean? You have to stay centered over
the wheel or you will fall. I found that there are 2 basic ways to lean
back and stay centered over the wheel: you can lean your shoulders back
and then your hips forward, or you can lean your shoulders forward and
your hips back. After trying both, and watching people who already
could do it, I realized you need to angle your hips back and hunch your
shoulders forward a bit.

2. Once you get the first push or two it helps to squeeze the front of
the seat a bit with your inner thighs as you push to help limit the
wobble of the uni.

3. Its not that much more difficult to start the WW from a slow ride
than from a wall-assisted still stand. In fact, its probably easier.

ro

--
rolandisimo
Old November 25th 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1wheelwonder

I got my new nimbus freestyle today, and it's like learning to wheel
walk all over again!

--
1wheelwonder

DO NOT READ THIS SIGNATURE!

Oh you did didn't you? Well then, give yourself 2 hours in the naughty
corner, and no cookie!
Old November 25th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

I just started trying to learn how to wheel walk again. I was at the
piont of doing about 3 to 5 meters before I broke my leg 7 months ago. I
have only done two hlaf hour sessions so far but am only going about 2
meters now.
When I do succeed a "longer" run it is usually when I lean more forward
and balance that lean with good solid thrusts on the wheel. I usually
mess up when my heel catches on the tire or my downward pushing foot on
the way up. Also I have just raised my saddle. I mainly do trials with
my 20" and had the saddle very low. I hope to have a serious break
through in wheel walking soon. I know that wheel walking is just going
to take practice. It actually took me more time to learn how to ride
backwards than to ride so I am patiently working on this.

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!

'The Unicycling Commune' (http://tinyurl.com/3xkd8d)
Old January 15th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni phanatic

i'm just learning how to wheel walk and i found it easy to sart off with
your wheel against the curb and get on the uni and just start pushing,
if u do that you will be wheel walking in no time

--
uni phanatic
Old January 16th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniFREAK134

it only took me a few days to learn. i just held onto a wal then pushed
off and saw how far i could go. eventually after many trys it just comes
to you...
kinda like learning to unicycle

--
uniFREAK134

when people ask why i ride a unicycle i just say, "why not?"

wheel walking help skroboskim Unicycling 0 April 23rd 06 02:05 AM
Wheel Walking Jerrick Unicycling 0 February 13th 06 01:44 AM
Help With Wheel Walking darkp0is3n Unicycling 13 May 9th 05 03:23 AM
wheel walking jgherr Unicycling 3 February 27th 05 08:30 AM
Wheel walking. juggle508 Unicycling 4 May 28th 04 01:33 AM