Passing

Old December 4th 13, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Passing

I have always been a person to ride moderately unless I was racing. At my age now I don't race any more. But what I sort of get a kick out of is looking in my rear view mirror and watching people kill themselves to catch and pass me especially on a long hard climb. Then sometimes when I get to the top there they are sitting exhausted on the rail trying to recover enough to ride down the other side of the climb.

On climbs I'll often catch up to someone and unless they're going much slower than me I'll ride behind or alongside of them so they don't get the idea that I'm out there to blow the doors off of other riders.

I've observed some people reach the top of a climb just before me and as I ride over the top and continue they will jump back on their bikes and ride as fast as they can to catch and pass me even being dangerous on blind turns.

Is it really that important to tell yourself that you're faster than someone else?
Old December 5th 13, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

I never see other cyclists these days -- partly because i live among a
smaller population and partly because I'm already in town, so I don't
have anywhere to go. (Passable day due tomorrow, but so far all I've
thought of is to leave town on the east side and come back into town
on the west side. I've worn a RUT on that route.)

Back in the day, I used to work hard at catching up to any rider I saw
far ahead of me -- but once caught up, I'd settle ten or twenty feet
back and match his pace until one of us turned off.

That was partly because, having proven that I'm faster, I get no extra
charge by telling anyone, and partly because I'm female -- a woman can
kill a man by overtaking him. Once I seriously injured a man just by
drafting him.

At the beginning of a large club ride on a windy day, I looked around
for shelter and spotted a wide, muscular-looking fellow. When the
ride started, I tucked in behind him. He set a nice, steady pace so I
stayed there for the whole ride. At the end, when I saw him from the
front, he looked *terrible*. He said, "I nearly killed myself, but I
wasn't going to be passed by a girl!"

Turned out that it was his very first club ride. And was probably his
last, as I never saw him again.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/

Old December 5th 13, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 00:23:16 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[...]

I thought that girls rode those step through models with the skirt
guard on the rear fender :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old December 5th 13, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:23:16 PM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:

...I'm female -- a woman can
kill a man by overtaking him. Once I seriously injured a man just by
drafting him.

Hah! I always feel gallant when a female is drafting me!

For extra gallantry, I've occasionally helped a woman up a hill by pushing on the small of her back as we both pedaled along.

But I don't do that (even with my wife) unless I ask permission first. If the woman happened to interpret it wrongly, I _might_ get seriously injured!

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 6th 13, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 09:21:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

It is pretty funny the way that works, but since I'm over 60 and have
an electric assist bike that isn't obviously one, it's even funnier.
Going up the Williamsburg Bridge on my commute is usually good for a
chuckle as folks hammer away to keep up with me. I figure that I'm
bringing out the best in everybody else.

In passing... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 May 18th 07 03:57 PM
Passing thoughts Buck General 39 September 25th 06 03:32 AM
Passing, but at what cost? Hamfest UK 0 December 16th 05 12:46 PM
Passing, but at what cost? Hamfest Unicycling 0 December 16th 05 12:46 PM
Passing on the right....... Claire Petersky General 109 May 23rd 05 09:44 AM