skinsuit anyone?

Old October 28th 04, 04:51 AM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:36:37 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:

Heh, I was standing by my car in the parking lot of trail I ride. It's the
early am dawn ride, and I have on new black tights and a light L/S Nike
black lycra jersey. Had a good ride and more weight is melting off. Steam
is coming off of me from the hard ride down the road and I still have my
helmet and ambersunglasses on and am putting the bike in the back.

A car pulls up and this 6 y.o. kid and his mom are gonna power walk or
something. He runs up to his mom, sees me and says, 'hey mom, is that guy
over there a superhero?'

It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least...

-B
...at least he didn't say 'gay' superhero...;'-

That sounds like a compliment to me. Nobody ever mistakes me for a
superhero;-)

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 28th 04, 09:30 AM
Badger_South

wrote:

Heh, I was standing by my car in the parking lot of trail I ride. It's the
early am dawn ride, and I have on new black tights and a light L/S Nike
black lycra jersey. Had a good ride and more weight is melting off. Steam
is coming off of me from the hard ride down the road and I still have my
helmet and ambersunglasses on and am putting the bike in the back.

A car pulls up and this 6 y.o. kid and his mom are gonna power walk or
something. He runs up to his mom, sees me and says, 'hey mom, is that guy
over there a superhero?'

It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least...

-B
...at least he didn't say 'gay' superhero...;'-

That sounds like a compliment to me. Nobody ever mistakes me for a
superhero;-)

Life is Good!
Jeff

Well, first of all, while my wife says 'nice legs', as a cyclist, I totally
suck. lol

Better to look good than be good, as Billy Crystal used to say (NOT!)

Plus think 6 y.o. kid - compliment? Think 'Halloween' tomorrow. He probably
meant 'cartoon character'. Actually I think he said 'looks like a'.

-B
Working on a stylish lycra/spandex cape...

Old October 30th 04, 12:36 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Someone in my building left a bunch of stuff down in the
lobby,they're moving. SO there's a box with all kinds of stuff,
various assorted items- among them a skinsuit (short legs). I've never
seen anyone in my building with a road bike. I have no idea who these
people are. THe suit is blue, yellow and red and the logo says COSMIC
and Cueva Custom Cycles. However, i am not sure I'd want someone
else's used skinsuit. IF I knew it had never been used, maybe I'd nab
it and wear it for indoor training or something. IT looked like it
might be my size. However, I draw the line at wearing somoene else's
used shorts. EWWWW!

Check the shammy for skidmarks. If there are none, just wash
the thing twice in warm water and it'll be as clean as new.

Polyester really is a miracle fabric.

However I did get some useful stuff: a candle holder, tupperware
containers and a set of perfectly decent ice cream bowls.

I picked up a Royal typewriter with a 14-inch platen off
the street out front of my apartment in Cambridge, MA, at
the end of one semester.

I don't think I'll add it to my bike, though. Unless they
come out with one in Titanium.

--Blair
"Then I'd be tempted..."
Old October 30th 04, 12:37 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Hunrobe wrote:
What's the big deal? You never try on clothes before you buy them? Just an
idea, Marlene. If it is yours for the asking, is your size, and you like it a
replacement chamois pad is much cheaper than a decent skinsuit.

My old bike shorts have an actual slip of chamois, and it's sewn in.

Now, a "chamois" is a centimeter-thick piece of foam rubber, and
I'd make fun of it but it's saving my ancient ass the trouble of
breaking in on the seat again...

I use the old shorts at the gym, where I ride a recumbent to warm
up, and like showing off my legs while lifting.

--Blair
"You'd be surprised how many
bodybuilders have no legs."
Old October 30th 04, 12:40 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Badger_South wrote:

A car pulls up and this 6 y.o. kid and his mom are gonna power walk or
something. He runs up to his mom, sees me and says, 'hey mom, is that guy
over there a superhero?'

It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least...

Embarassing, hell. That's one of the reasons I wear the things.

--Blair
"Why yes, son, I *am* a superhero."
Old October 30th 04, 02:45 AM
Badger_South

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:40:52 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Badger_South wrote:

A car pulls up and this 6 y.o. kid and his mom are gonna power walk or
something. He runs up to his mom, sees me and says, 'hey mom, is that guy
over there a superhero?'

It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least...

Embarassing, hell. That's one of the reasons I wear the things.

--Blair
"Why yes, son, I *am* a superhero."

Not if you totally still suck as a cyclist, like me.

Imagine there was an -actual- cyclist there, and heard that said about an
obvious newbie. ;-D

-B
Oh, the horror...

Old October 30th 04, 03:32 AM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:36:29 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

wrote:
Someone in my building left a bunch of stuff down in the
lobby,they're moving. SO there's a box with all kinds of stuff,
various assorted items- among them a skinsuit (short legs). I've never
seen anyone in my building with a road bike. I have no idea who these
people are. THe suit is blue, yellow and red and the logo says COSMIC
and Cueva Custom Cycles. However, i am not sure I'd want someone
else's used skinsuit. IF I knew it had never been used, maybe I'd nab
it and wear it for indoor training or something. IT looked like it
might be my size. However, I draw the line at wearing somoene else's
used shorts. EWWWW!

Check the shammy for skidmarks. If there are none, just wash
the thing twice in warm water and it'll be as clean as new.

Polyester really is a miracle fabric.

I'll toss it in with my next cold wash. It's in excellent condition
and seems to be hardly used, which I'm sure is the case. Like I said,
I have never seen anyone in my building with a road bike. I just moved
here sept 1 but by now I'd have seen someone bringing their bike
downstairs for a ride at least once. Once I've washed it,thenI have to
mull over where i'll wear it.

As for looking like a superhero, that wasn't the case,but because the
suit is a bit snug across my chest (it's obviously a men's skinsuit,
and made for a small man) it sort of made me feel like I should be in
starfleet. Except for the shorts. Those starfleet uniforms for women
always seem to be rather SNUG in the old chestal area, and of course
seem generously padded. Hey, maybe I'll cut out the chamois and use
it for that! LOL

Anyways, looking like a superhero - there could be worse things. I
remember one of those anti-bike columnists once sneering about how
cyclists imagine themselves being LANCE ARMSTRONG. Well, there could
be worse things to aspire to. Better that than aspiring to be an
overweight, slobby couch potato!
Old October 30th 04, 07:34 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:43:45 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:32:46 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Well you know you're killing all the guys here by talking like this with no
freakin' .jpgs.

Purely for technical reasons; to see the quality of the skin suit. Please
include bike in shot, too.

-B

Hehehe.. i don't have a digital camera handy. However, i may have a
photo of me and my bike somewhere, taken during the summer (me wearing
regular bike stuff). The bike is the one with the blue rimmed wheels
and yellow paint job (GT). Hey, that will go great with the skinsuit!
LOL!

Maybe I'll wear it trick or treating tomorrow night and tell everyone
I'm a superhero. POWDERED TOAST WOMAN!
Old November 1st 04, 09:37 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
|| On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:11:17 -0500, Jeff Starr
|| wrote:
||| Hi, I would think if you wash it a couple of times, it will be
||| sanitary. How about wearing it with a jersey, the top half would
||| function as a base layer. And that way, your modesty could remain
||| intact.
||| I wouldn't wear one, even though I'm not overweight, I am not fat
||| free.
||| Life is Good!
||| Jeff
|| Heh, I was standing by my car in the parking lot of trail I ride.
|| It's the early am dawn ride, and I have on new black tights and a
|| light L/S Nike black lycra jersey. Had a good ride and more weight
|| is melting off. Steam is coming off of me from the hard ride down
|| the road and I still have my helmet and ambersunglasses on and am
|| putting the bike in the back.
|| A car pulls up and this 6 y.o. kid and his mom are gonna power walk
|| or something. He runs up to his mom, sees me and says, 'hey mom, is
|| that guy over there a superhero?'
|| It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least...
|| -B
|| ...at least he didn't say 'gay' superhero...;'-

Be glad he didn't say "hey mom, is that guy over there Mr. Incredible?"