Lightweight ISIS cranks with some Q factor?

Old August 4th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Default Lightweight ISIS cranks with some Q factor?

I am working on getting all of the parts together for my KH/Schlumpf
36er that I will be building up in about a month once my hub is
returned from Switzerland. Does anyone know if there are lightweight
ISIS cranks, similar to the no Q factor qu-ax isis cranks, that have a
little bit of Q in them? I think the amount of Q on the KH moments is
ideal for shifting and it provides a little bit of safety for not
accidentally shifting. I find the moments a little bit too heavy
though, and think that lighter cranks would be a huge improvement.

I guess I am asking two questions in this thread...

1) Are there any lightweight ISIS cranks other than qu-ax (hopefully
some with Q)?
2) Is it wise to use lightweight cranks on a geared 36? Would the
stress of a heavy 36" wheel in high gear put too much stress on light
cranks?

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name | 'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout)
Old August 4th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kyle_Destroyer

Onza Tesiles, maybe?

--
Kyle_Destroyer

Unicycle for Universalist Unitarianism!

Last time I cussed I got nerfed.....gersh dernit.
Old August 4th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Yeah, I was thinking about those as well, but I wonder if there are any
other options. Does anyone know if the Q factor is the same on the
Onza tensiles as the moments? UDC just says "medium Q factor" for them
and not a measurement.

It seems like the difference in 137mm moments and 140mm onza tensiles
is about 200g, which is significant. I will need to do some
experimentation with crank length. I know that Chuck and Corbin seem
to like 150mm cranks with their geared 36s, but 140s might be more my
style.

I might just start out with my dual drilled 125/150s that I already
have and then try out the 140mm onzas and see the speed difference.

Old January 8th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

I was able to find the answer to this question yesterday after talking
with Tony Melton about how I hated using heavy KH Moments on my geared
36er. I thought that the only light ISIS cranks you could get were the
Qu-Ax ones, which have no Q factor.

He pointed me to Nimbus ISIS cranks:
http://tinyurl.com/7776rq

They are much lighter than KH Moments and look to have about the same Q
factor based on a picture he sent me.

They do not look to be advertised on UDC US or UK, but I was able to
secure a pair of 150s after calling UDC US.

This will save a significant amount of rotational weight on my geared
36er =]

Old January 8th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timekeeper

My roommate just got a Nimbus muni for Christmas and it came with the
Nimbus cranks, although UDC US only lists the qu-ax and KH cranks as
possible options. Funny.

--
timekeeper
Old January 9th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

As far as I knew, the Qu-ax and the Nimbus ISIS cranks were exactly the
same. I could be wrong though.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old January 9th 09, 09:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Here is a pic Tony sent me:

30885

|Filename: nimbusisis.jpg |