Any Muni rider around Aberdeen, Scotland?

Old November 23rd 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gonzo

Default Any Muni rider around Aberdeen, Scotland?

Hi there,

I find it lonely (and dangerous at times) when I Muni on my own. I
sometimes go with mountain-bikers, but they have to keep waiting for
me...

Anyway, please let me know if you are in the area and interested in
Muniing.

Teddy

--
gonzo
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 23rd 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

try contacting darktom, can't rememeber which area of Scotland he's from
but he will no doubt know the Scot muni riders pretty well.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 23rd 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DarkTom

Alright, fella!

I do indeed do muni. Not too much of late tho, it has to be said.

I live in Glasgow, altho I am currently in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam,
passing time till the airport and flight home.

My computer at home is humped so it may take me a while to get back to
you again, but I am definetly up for meeting and doing some muni
somewhere.

Any good spots near you? I got the local country park or a trip in a
motor for something decent.

Aye, so take it easy and we'll speak soon.

T.

--
DarkTom

*"DarkTom of Glasgow, one of the few uni riders here that you really
musn't mess with" - GkMac
"mondeos can fly" - Pebbles*

'I'm selling my trials uni'
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 23rd 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jogi

Hey,
we ( me and elke) will be municycling in the Highlandīs, may be Orkney
too between 18.02.2008 and 29.02.2008.
we travel by car and our route is not quite shure...but shurely we īll
try to cycle some Munros downhill....if the wind isnīt to hard....
do you know some tracks in the Grampains??? I think its not to far from
Aberdeen...
greets Jogi

--
jogi
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 23rd 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

jogi wrote:

we travel by car and our route is not quite shure...but shurely we īll
try to cycle some Munros downhill....if the wind isnīt to hard....

Now that is a hardcore idea. Riding down big mountains which often
don't have decent tracks on them, in winter conditions.

I've ridden my muni down 1 munro, I'd recommend not doing it unless you
like walking a lot too, the routes tend to be pretty hairy, and often
not really a track, so much as a rough route that you have to follow on
a map. That time of year might be a bit hairy too, you might need
crampons/boots/ice axes for some of the tops. Even in summer, the one I
did I had a couple of scrambly exposed bits on it, and quite a few bits
that just weren't rideable.

If there's snow, I reckon you could muni a lot of the ski slopes like
off Cairngorm or Aonach Mor, although you'd have to walk up Cairngorm,
and try your luck on the Nevis Range gondola, Cairngorm won't take
bikes or walkers, only skiiers, Nevis Range officially only takes bikes
in summer (the downhill track closes at the end of the summer), but
they do take walkers. The Nevis Range gondola only goes up to 2000 ft
though, the terrain that looks really interesting to ride in winter all
starts off the top @ 4000 feet, so quite a walk up.

I was up round the back of Ben Nevis last winter, and there are some
runs there that would be *mental* to ride when there's deep snow, I was
wishing I had a unicycle with me. But they were about 2.5 hours walk
from the nearest road, and below the snow line there was a hell of a
lot of ice on the rocks, which would have hurt to ride on, meaning it'd
have been a long walk with a unicycle on my back to get to the good
stuff.

I've ridden at Aviemore which is sort of nearish Aberdeen, and there's
some fantastic riding round there, which is lower level too, so much
less scary in winter compared to the Munros. Also have done a little
bit up near Fort William, it looked like there was some good riding
going round there too.

Hmmm. Hopefully am up to the Cairngorms over New Year, maybe I'll have
a go at some of the ski slopes on the unicycle then.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 23rd 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gonzo

Thanks for the replies...
I agree with Joe - going down the munros in february would be pretty
challenging!
I have only been muniing for a year - and only regularly for the past 6
months, so I am not too much into hardcore municycling yet. However, I
have been thinking of going down Lochnaggar, which is the nearest munro
from Aberdeen. It is great for hiking - but I can't remember if it
would be suitable for muniing (last time I went I was not even aware
that munis existed). From what I remember, it should be pretty good.
I will definitely try it sometime next year - but not before spring to
have a chance of riding at least some portions of it... unless this
winter is unusually mild in which case we could consider it in
february.

Otherwise, I have never gone far with my muni, always staying around
Aberdeen (decent tracks within 10-20 miles of the city). Convenient for
my after-work muniing, but might be a bit short and limited for a
seasoned "munier".

In any case, let me know if you are planning to muni in the area. The
other alternatives suggested by Joe sound really good too - I know Fort
William is reknowned for excellent mountain-biking opportunities, and
the Cairngorms (Aviemore area) should be good too. Maybe sometime in
spring/summer 2008? Stay in touch.

Teddy

--
gonzo
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 26th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jogi

Hey folks,
off cause you are right, its not so easy munrocycling in winter.
we,v done some munroes and also got winter munro experiences last
december,- without muniīs and it was a hard work.
But i think its possible even when there are different problems.
First of all the weather. Even with a good forecast it may turn quick
into unlikely conditions.
In clouds and while snowing there are problems to find the way and with
orientation, but we have to use maps and compass anyway...
The temperatur itsself is not the problem, but in combination with wind
it might be really could - and in strong winds any movement over longer
distances might be impossible. So we have use the right equipment for
to stay a could night uphill.
On top there are the "muni problems".
We have to bring them up, that means minimum 7 Kg weight on top.
And most of all we have to find a suitable munro.
I know a few where it would be possible to cycle the lower part and
others where we could do the upper part....but i have done none where
its possible to do the whole munro with muni.
May be Mount Keen is a good one?
http://www.munromagic.com/MountainInfo.cfm?Mountain=235
Or Carn Asoda?
http://www.munromagic.com/MountainInfo.cfm?Mountain=278
do you know one of them?

Jogi

--
jogi
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 26th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

It's a bit too far south/low down to guarantee snow, but the munros in
Glenshee that the ski slopes go up would be rideable down, although
probably pretty darned boring. They are not very nice mountains though,
I wouldn't bother.

Here is one of them
http://www.mtb-routes-scotland.co.uk...tulaichean.htm

Mount Keen is definitely rideable, loads of bikers have done it
http://www.mtb-routes-scotland.co.uk/mount_keen.htm

This guy has more munros listed
http://www.mtb-routes-scotland.co.uk/ben_chonzie.htm

Joe

Old November 26th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jogi

I īv just had a look on these two peaks, really nice ones, but i think
thatīs a lot of walking to get up there....and the days are not to long
in february, so i would prefer a "shorter" track...

--
jogi
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 26th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gonzo

Jogi,

What sort of muniing experience are you looking for? specifically
downhill?
in terms of duration, how many hours of riding?
I know a place near Aberdeen where you can have good fun for a couple
of hours. It keeps going up and down, and is pretty technical globally
(lots of roots and rocks). The downhills are never very long (takes 5
minutes for the longest one) and there are no scary drops, so it
probably is more like XC muni. Although some of the slopes are decently
steep.
If you are looking for longer rides, then I do not know as I have never
tried any.
It does not take too long to walk up to Lochnagar actually. You can do
it in, say 2-3hours. That leaves enough time to ride back before dark.
That is the only place I know with potentially long downhill rides I am
afraid! But there are plenty others.

Otherwise, you can check this site as well - it has a good list of
cycling trails with details on each (steepness, terrain type, length,
etc.). The places I usually go to around Aberdeen are all listed there
(e.g. Kirkhill). Most tracks referenced there would be more suitable
for XC, but some should be really good and technical (some are
recommended for good or expert mountain-bikers - for instance Pitfichie
near Aberdeen, which I need to try soon, seems to have good drops...).

http://tinyurl.com/2a2vss

Teddy

--
gonzo
http://www.usenet.com

LOS ANGELES MUNI RIDER CASTING CALL for 2/14 pays $2,400 The Munieer Unicycling 68 July 8th 07 10:10 AM
muni rider wanted DK Unicycling 2 March 22nd 06 11:12 PM
Muni rider in the South East of England wanted rogeratunicycledotcom Unicycling 13 July 14th 05 08:52 AM
MUni helps non Rider Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 11 September 6th 04 06:51 PM
aberdeen wheelbuilder sought james UK 2 August 28th 04 10:10 AM