Upgrade from Ultegra 9-sp triple to Dura-Ace 10-sp triple..

Old July 28th 05, 06:40 PM
bfd

Default Upgrade from Ultegra 9-sp triple to Dura-Ace 10-sp triple..

Sheldon states:

I'm not convinced that the Dura-Ace brifters are significantly better
than the Ultegra units, by the way.

What you get with DA 10 shifters over Ultegra are 3 things:

1. Warranty - DA products get 3 years; Ultegra and lower are only 2
years. This can be important as unlike Campy ergos, STI levers are NOT
REBUILDABLE. Nevertheless, Shimano has an excellent record of warranty
replacment with DA/Ultegra 9, so you shouldn't see a reduction in
service.

2. weight - DA 10 STIs list weight for the pair is 419g; Ultegra 10
STIs list weight is 490g. Is this important?

#. the other factor is subjective - looks. With DA 10 you know you got
that "Lance factor" and the envy of everyone on your block! It doesn't
matter that you got a triple, the key here is you got DA 10, so you
know you look good!!!!

Old July 29th 05, 01:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Hrothgar wrote:
to answer the question(s):

1. Spend some money? YES
2. Look cool? YES

kidding aside, i just wanted to have an extra cog (16) for close
gearing/shifting. I have 9sp 12-27 (12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27) and I
wanted to upgrade to 10sp 12-27 (12/13/14/15/16/17/19/21/24/27). I
thought I need to replace a lot (shifters, fd, rd). Looking at some
forums and your replies, it looks like I only need to replace the
following:
1. Cassette (can i just squeeze a 16cog into my existing cassette?)
2. Chain
3. Rear shifter

That is correct but single 10s shifters are scarce right now but may be
more available in the futyrue. need to also look at the shape of 10s
levers, very different than 9s.

The other question is my chainrings 48/38/24. If I want to upgrade my
big ch to 50, will this still work fine with my current setup (ultegra
triple)?

yessir-as long as the rings have shift pins and ramps. Altho not
essential, makes shimano shifting much better.

thanks a bunch,

Old July 29th 05, 02:01 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

bfd wrote:
Sheldon states:

I'm not convinced that the Dura-Ace brifters are significantly better
than the Ultegra units, by the way.

What you get with DA 10 shifters over Ultegra are 3 things:

1. Warranty - DA products get 3 years; Ultegra and lower are only 2
years. This can be important as unlike Campy ergos, STI levers are NOT
REBUILDABLE. Nevertheless, Shimano has an excellent record of warranty
replacment with DA/Ultegra 9, so you shouldn't see a reduction in
service.

2. weight - DA 10 STIs list weight for the pair is 419g; Ultegra 10
STIs list weight is 490g. Is this important?

#. the other factor is subjective - looks. With DA 10 you know you got
that "Lance factor" and the envy of everyone on your block! It doesn't
matter that you got a triple, the key here is you got DA 10, so you
know you look good!!!!

Does the customer also get the 6 figure dollars Lance's gets when he
uses shimano??

Old July 29th 05, 05:55 PM
Brewster Fong

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

bfd wrote:
[...]

What? Lance *only gets* 6 figures from Shimano? I would have thought he get
at least 7 figures....

Old July 29th 05, 11:43 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:55:13 -0700, "Brewster Fong"
wrote:

What? Lance *only gets* 6 figures from Shimano? I would have thought he get
at least 7 figures....

I rather suspect that a large part of what he gets is simply whatever you
want, straight from the factory, however much you want.

Jasper
Old July 30th 05, 02:26 AM
Brewster Fong

wrote:

What? Lance *only gets* 6 figures from Shimano? I would have thought he
get
at least 7 figures....

I rather suspect that a large part of what he gets is simply whatever you
want, straight from the factory, however much you want.

Agree. Look at his previous time trial bike brakes - old Dura Ace AX from
the what 1980s, like these:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/ima...i/TomAX_1L.jpg

or how about the old Dura Ace/Look-style pedals that he rode on up until a
year or two ago.

Whatever Lance wanted, he got!

Old July 30th 05, 09:53 AM
Michael Press

In article
.com,
"Hrothgar" wrote:

to answer the question(s):

1. Spend some money? YES
2. Look cool? YES

kidding aside, i just wanted to have an extra cog (16) for close
gearing/shifting. I have 9sp 12-27 (12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27) and I
wanted to upgrade to 10sp 12-27 (12/13/14/15/16/17/19/21/24/27). I

Do you need 24/27?
What about a different nine speed cassette? 12-17,19,21,23.
or even 13-19,21,23.

[...]

--
Michael Press
Old July 30th 05, 02:29 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:

What? Lance *only gets* 6 figures from Shimano? I would have thought he get
at least 7 figures....

I rather suspect that a large part of what he gets is simply whatever you
want, straight from the factory, however much you want.

Jasper

A article about 3 years ago said he is paid $50,000 by shimano for
using shimano. I am sure it went up from there. PLUS anything he wants,
including the influence to make a new pedal to his specs.

Old July 30th 05, 07:00 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 30 Jul 2005 06:29:53 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

A article about 3 years ago said he is paid $50,000 by shimano for
using shimano. I am sure it went up from there. PLUS anything he wants,
including the influence to make a new pedal to his specs.

I suspect that (leaving aside that his contract with Shimano presumably
forbids it) if Lance went to Campagnolo and said "Hey, guys, I want to
design a pedal precisely to my specifications, cause none of the current
ones are quite right. In return, you get to sell them to all and sundry as
'Lance Armstrong's Racing Pedals! get them while they're hot!'", that
Campagnolo would jump at the chance.

Jasper

Ultegra double crankset on a 105 triple bottom bracket? Urban Sherpa Techniques 8 October 1st 04 07:37 AM
Compatibility of Ultegra 6500 9-speed Cassette with Dura Ace 7701 chain Jeff Techniques 6 August 28th 04 10:43 PM
Dura Ace versus Ultegra triple Gary Techniques 47 January 23rd 04 12:01 AM
Dura Ace triple Gary Techniques 13 December 17th 03 11:31 PM
NEW Dura Ace TRIPLE Group <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< biciman Marketplace 0 July 2nd 03 04:44 PM