How to remove anodizing (rims/cranks) / Polishing aul. to mirror finish.

Old January 9th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

Default How to remove anodizing (rims/cranks) / Polishing aul. to mirror finish.

To be honest it has been at least 25 years since I have removed
anodizing from aluminum, so the details are a little fuzzy.

I did a quick web search on oven cleaner anodizing removal and found
this thread in a different formum:
http://www.finishing.com/2000-2199/2076.shtml

It has a few good pointers, and a couple of different ideas about
chemical removal of anodizing.

I had good luck witht the oven cleaner, and polished the aluminum to a
mirror finish. Apparently it was really luck more than anything. The
posts in that form lead me to believe that getting a good finish with
oven cleaner is very difficult.

--
jtrops
Old January 9th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

Thanks a bunch.

Sounds dodgy to me. I might give it a try, or just have it done some
place. I don't want an ugly rim now.

--
wickedbob

R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG
'Add wickedbob to your ignore list' (http://tinyurl.com/3dfrko).
Help to keep JC all Billy, all the time. Do your part, resurrect and
use his threads. BTM FTW.
My posts don't count they came from MR...would they matter anyways?
Old January 15th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Dandelion

I am thinking of doing my K1 cranks with oven cleaner, but I have one
question:

Will de-anodizing remove enough material to make the crank loose on the
hub? I don't think it will but i just want to make sure before I start.

I don't think a clear coat will be needed, as the cranks have a raw
logo on them, and being on the cranks, it would just rub off anyway.

Mal

--
Dandelion

*joemarshall -* Be careful not to bugger the shifty shaft.
Old January 15th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

Again it has been a long time since I have done it so keep that in
mind.

I removed the anodizing from a pair of Sugino Maxi Cross cranks once
and they never had a problem with fitting tight on the spindle. It
didn't really seem as if metal was coming off of the cranks, just the
color.

If you've got some old aluminum part laying around you should probably
try it before you commit your nice stuff to it.

Jerry

--
jtrops
Old January 15th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Anodising is only a few thou(sandths of an inch) thick, so if you remove
only what is necessary, and where it's necessary (not the splines) you
shouldn't have problems with the crank loosening.

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
Old January 15th 09, 07:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Dandelion

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to buy some oven cleaner today or
tomorrow, so I will see how it all works out and hopefully post up some
pics.

Thanks again,
Mal.

Old January 16th 09, 11:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Dandelion

Alright so I de-anodised my cranks and seatclamp today. Here are some
pics:

Before
[image:
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q...MGP0202-1.jpg]

After
[image:
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q.../IMGP0297.jpg]

[image:
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q.../IMGP0298.jpg]
The process was fairly simple, I just placed all the parts in the
caustic soda, then after about 10 minutes took them all out and rinced
them. (Some of the anodising needed a bit of a scrub with scotchbrite in
parts.) Then, I polished them up a bit in the tricky spots with the
buffer bit on my dremel.

I gave up halfway through polishing the cranks because it was getting
dark and I'm lazy... I think it looks way better than it did before and
I am going to get rid of all the red in time..

Tell me what you all think,

Mal