Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

Old March 14th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Emile.m

Default Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

Here is the thread about CF bases. The conversation has been around 3 or
4 threads and there is a lot to say about CF bases.

Discuss!

--
Emile.m

Ntappin wrote:

I'm a butcher, and it took me like 10 minutes to get one nub off my
luna.

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Emile.m

I'm getting my Cf base next week and I've got a question.

Do you but a little rubber piece or something soft on the bolts so the
metal doesn't touch directly the CF?

--
Emile.m

Old March 14th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

Emile.m wrote:
I'm getting my Cf base next week and I've got a question.

Do you but a little rubber piece or something soft on the bolts so the
metal doesn't touch directly the CF?

I have always heard that that is a good thing.

I'm going to do that next time I take apart my seat.

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish at gmail dot com
msn: mornish at gmail dot com
'Miles Land' (http://mornish.blogspot.com/)
'California Mountain Unicycle Weekend 2008'
(http://cmw08.blogspot.com/)
Matt wrote:
Yeah I do, but, I'm lazy you see... it's this disease and uh, I haven't
taken my medication?

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

Emile.m wrote:

Do you but a little rubber piece or something soft on the bolts so the
metal doesn't touch directly the CF?

It helps stop the base snapping from what i've seen.

--
thejdw

I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Emile.m wrote:
I'm getting my Cf base next week and I've got a question.

Do you but a little rubber piece or something soft on the bolts so the
metal doesn't touch directly the CF?

You put the rubber between the seatpost and the base so the edges don't
dig in. I used three layers of tube on mine though you can probably get
away with two.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.projectuni.com) - *The First Serious Unicycle
Computer Game* - -ProjectUNI update available 'here!'
(http://projectuni.com/#lightbox3)-* - Join the 'discussion.'
(http://www.projectuni.com/forum)
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Emile.m

Brian O. wrote:
You put the rubber between the seatpost and the base so the edges don't
dig in. I used three layers of tube on mine though you can probably get
away with two.

Yeah, I know that you need to put rubber between the seat post and the
base but did anybody ever put rubber between the scew and the base and
the nuts and the base?

--
Emile.m

Old March 14th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Emile.m wrote:
Yeah, I know that you need to put rubber between the seat post and the
base but did anybody ever put rubber between the scew and the base and
the nuts and the base?

You probably could, I'm using the metal stiffener plate from a plastic
saddle on my UDC CF base.

Old March 14th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

Emile.m wrote:
Yeah, I know that you need to put rubber between the seat post and the
base but did anybody ever put rubber between the scew and the base and
the nuts and the base?

I don't think that would work out very well. Because the square holes
for the carriage bolts are usually tight and just big enough to fit the
bolt in, putting rubber in the hole would probably make it too loose.

And I don't believe you'd need to put rubber between the nuts and the
base because the seat post plate is already between that.

--
forrestunifreak

I will, because I can.
'*-My Gallery-*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl)
*www.qu-ax.com* *unicycle for
christ*

Joe "Hodgekins" wrote:
Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniDudeDX

I used some plastic form a old notebook to put under my seat...
and they are soo much better than plastic. Much stiffer and better
feel.
I love it.

--
UniDudeDX

'My Youtube Profile!' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=unidudedx)

Naomi wrote:
trying to attach a picture of the tree, before it was circumsized.

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 14th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

UniDudeDX wrote:
and they are soo much better than plastic. Much stiffer and better
feel.
I love it.

Thats one point that most people aren't aware of before they get one.
Its not just that the base is stronger or lighter - it just feels so
much better and is more responsive.