Tour de Suisse, stage 4 summary

Old June 16th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brad Anders

Default Tour de Suisse, stage 4 summary

On Jun 15, 8:29*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:07*pm, TheCoz wrote:

And how the heck did Cav's wheel bend like that and not break!?!?! Are
those Lightweight wheels?

My guess- the wheel did break but the tire stayed glued and snapped
back to what looks an intact wheel but is not.
DR

OK, one more interpretation. I watched the vid many times, yes,
Cavendish's wheel did bend as in Marco's pic and snap back. I'm
wondering if the lateral weakness of this wheel didn't contribute to
the accident. It appears that when Cavendish leans on Haussler, that
it caused a lateral force on the wheel. Instead of resisting the
force, the low spoke count wheel had so little resistance that it
collapsed, driving Cavendish down. Perhaps with a stronger wheel the
accident might not have happened.

Brad Anders
Old June 16th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jun 15, 8:07*pm, TheCoz wrote:

And how the heck did Cav's wheel bend like that and not break!?!?! Are
those Lightweight wheels?

My guess- the wheel did break but the tire stayed glued and snapped
back to what looks an intact wheel but is not.
DR

OK, one more interpretation. I watched the vid many times, yes,
Cavendish's wheel did bend as in Marco's pic and snap back. I'm
wondering if the lateral weakness of this wheel didn't contribute to
the accident. It appears that when Cavendish leans on Haussler, that
it caused a lateral force on the wheel. Instead of resisting the
force, the low spoke count wheel had so little resistance that it
collapsed, driving Cavendish down. Perhaps with a stronger wheel the
accident might not have happened.

Brad Anders

God damn it - now i have to make RimSTRONG bracelets !

( i think your right though - rim was the cause and he shouldn't be
penalized )
Old June 16th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brad Anders

On Jun 15, 8:07*pm, TheCoz wrote:

[...]

Oh, I think he still should be penalized, he clearly didn't hold his
line. Haussler also has some responsibility here, too, as he had his
head completely down and possibly could have avoided Cavendish if he'd
seen him.

You should subcon to Chang for your bracelet biz, and have them all
done in SS. CHANGStrong, FORKStrong, RIMStrong, etc.

Brad Anders
Old June 16th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Betty[_2_]

Anton Berlin wrote:
God damn it - now i have to make RimSTRONG bracelets !

RIMSHOT bracelets would be in greater demand around here..
Old June 16th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
z, fred

On Jun 15, 8:07 pm, TheCoz wrote:

And how the heck did Cav's wheel bend like that and not break!?!?! Are
those Lightweight wheels?

My guess- the wheel did break but the tire stayed glued and snapped
back to what looks an intact wheel but is not.
DR

OK, one more interpretation. I watched the vid many times, yes,
Cavendish's wheel did bend as in Marco's pic and snap back. I'm
wondering if the lateral weakness of this wheel didn't contribute to
the accident. It appears that when Cavendish leans on Haussler, that
it caused a lateral force on the wheel. Instead of resisting the
force, the low spoke count wheel had so little resistance that it
collapsed, driving Cavendish down. Perhaps with a stronger wheel the
accident might not have happened.

Brad Anders

I thought it looked like Haussler's front wheel rode/rolled over Cav's
wheel, causing it to snap.

In other news regarding the protest at today's start, bystanders claimed
that Cavendish responded to criticism from riders after Tuesday's
incident by spitting on the ground on front of them.
Old June 16th 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ningi[_2_]

On 16/06/2010 04:11, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Michael wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 15, 6:59 pm, "Mike
wrote:
"Brad wrote in message

On Jun 15, 1:51 pm, wrote: DA74
wrote:
For those interested here's the link to the crash video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRFh9GuLYbs

Haussler should have been paying attention.

As shown by the picture below, the crash was caused when Cav's
front wheel
sunk into a patch of quicksand...

http://www.vg.no/uploaded/image/bild...76622662924_57...

==============

That's a really friggin' cool picture. You can see the rim section
lying utterly flat on the road, amazing.

Thank god his fork didn't explode.

I don't think TK hangs around here anymore.

It looks to me like Haussler caused the crash. When Haussler came
across, he went into Cav.

Overhead shows Cavendish moves laterally and causes the crash.
I like Cavendish, yet still am happy to see two guys ride over
his prostrate form; and see him get sanctioned 25 points,
30 seconds, and 200 Swiss Francs.

--
Michael Press

Haussler appeared to hold his line, Cavendish did not. What Cavendish
did was inexcusable; he was so amped up on winning the sprint that he
seemed to be in his own world. He evidently had no awareness of what was
to the side of him. Had it been Graeme Brown instead of Mark Cavendish,
we would assume otherwise; a deliberate attempt to intimidate another
rider. Maybe this is worse. Around Graeme you're free to play dirty if
need be; nobody is going to second-guess you. But around Mark, there's a
de-facto (earned) respect for his place in the sprint.

Neither of them held their line and neither was watching what was going
on around them. More of Cav's fault as he moved more but avoidable by
both parties.

Pete
Old June 17th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Victor Kan

On Jun 15, 11:11*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
... But around Mark, there's a
de-facto (earned) respect for his place in the sprint.

And you've got Paul Sherwen on Versus trying every which way,
unconvincingly, to minimize Cavendish's role while maximizing
Haussler's role in the crash, giving it a 60/40 split in
responsibility.

But as folks have already noted, the overhead shot is pretty clear --
it was more like 90/10.

Old June 17th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great[_2_]

On Jun 15, 8:07 pm, TheCoz wrote:

[...]

That is how it looks to me.

--
Old Fritz
Old June 17th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"K. Fred Gauss" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

I like Cavendish, yet still am happy to see two guys ride over
his prostrate form; and see him get sanctioned 25 points,
30 seconds, and 200 Swiss Francs.

I'm damn glad we don't get along.

He will be a better racer for it.
That picture of him afterward--
scrapes and a face that belongs
in the dictionary next to "shock."

--
Michael Press
Old June 17th 10, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
K. Fred Gauss[_6_]

Betty wrote:
Anton Berlin wrote:
God damn it - now i have to make RimSTRONG bracelets !

RIMSHOT bracelets would be in greater demand around here..

That was surprisingly clean!