Canary Wharf

Old February 23rd 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Canary Wharf

I'm taking a new Job in Canary Wharf for HSBC.

Does anyone know of the bike parking / showers / changing facilities in
the building or in the area?

Thanks TS

--
TooSore

Old February 23rd 06, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

TooSore wrote:
I'm taking a new Job in Canary Wharf for HSBC.

Does anyone know of the bike parking / showers / changing facilities in
the building or in the area?

there are quite alot of sheffields around the whole CW estate. They
are quite well used but I am not sure how confident I would feel
security wise depending on the value of your bike. I would be very
surprised if the HSBC building didn't have showers. Have you asked them
about this and parking facilities. There is a health club near the
HSBC building (used to be branded Reebock, can't recall if it still is)
which HSBC might have some sort of relationship with (for example my
firm just off the estate has an arrangement with the adjacent hotel to
use their swimming pool and gym at a reduced rate)

best wishes
james

Old February 23rd 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:16:58 +1100, TooSore wrote:

I'm taking a new Job in Canary Wharf for HSBC.

Does anyone know of the bike parking / showers / changing facilities in
the building or in the area?

Go onto the Cycling Plus forum, and ask in the commuting section there.
There seems to be a few people working in the area.

I might be wrong, but there was a recent thread on Canary Wharf security
threatening to cut off any locks (ie without bikes on them) on the stands.
There are plenty of shiny stainless-steel stands around, which look like
curly pigs tails.

Don't know what way you are coming in from, but there is a ferry service
from the Rotherhithe side, should you want to vary the route. It does cost
a couple of quid.

Old February 23rd 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

The whole of the fifth floor of the HSBC building is a gym.... but its
also possible that showers may be on each floor (considering up to 260
people work on each one) or each transfer floor.

Ian

Old February 23rd 06, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:16:58 +1100, TooSore wrote:

I'm taking a new Job in Canary Wharf for HSBC.

Does anyone know of the bike parking / showers / changing facilities in
the building or in the area?

Go onto the Cycling Plus forum, and ask in the commuting section there.
There seems to be a few people working in the area.

I might be wrong, but there was a recent thread on Canary Wharf security
threatening to cut off any locks (ie without bikes on them) on the stands.
There are plenty of shiny stainless-steel stands around, which look like
curly pigs tails.

Simple solution:

Get a really cheap bike, unrideable if you like.

Leave it always locked to the stand - use two locks.

When you arrrive on your real bike, take one lock off and use it for the
real bike.

Old February 23rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

jtaylor wrote:

Get a really cheap bike, unrideable if you like.

Leave it always locked to the stand - use two locks.

When you arrrive on your real bike, take one lock off and use it for the
real bike.

Genius! It would be a good idea to move the junker around a bit and
keep the tyres pumped up so that it doesn't appear abandoned.

--
Dave...

Old February 23rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

dkahn400 wrote:
jtaylor wrote:

Leave it always locked to the stand - use two locks.

When you arrrive on your real bike, take one lock off and use it for the
real bike.

Genius!

Rather selfish surely?

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune
Old February 23rd 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Arthur Clune wrote:
dkahn400 wrote:

Genius!

Rather selfish surely?

Possibly, but I think that depends on how much pressure there is on
cycle parking spaces. If it makes it harder for other cyclists to park
I would agree. If not, then it's just cunning.

--
Dave...

Old February 23rd 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

I'm taking a new Job in Canary Wharf for HSBC.

Does anyone know of the bike parking / showers / changing facilities in
the building or in the area?

I have seen many bicycles in the car park below the HSBC building.
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
Old February 23rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:55:04 +0000, John Hearns
wrote:

Don't know what way you are coming in from, but there is a ferry service
from the Rotherhithe side, should you want to vary the route. It does cost
a couple of quid.

Or to commute across the Thames for free get one of these:
http://www.shuttlebike.com/
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
to ride a stationary bicycle. -
Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

Alma Wharf - Yarra River cfsmtb Australia 0 September 21st 04 10:52 AM
Alma Wharf - Yarra River cfsmtb Australia 3 September 21st 04 02:48 AM
Cycling into Canary Wharf Vivian UK 2 May 9th 04 08:49 PM
Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf Steve Nelson UK 15 January 23rd 04 01:40 AM