Sugino VP Spindle Size, Small Ring Problems?

Old January 12th 18, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]

Default Sugino VP Spindle Size, Small Ring Problems?

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003 at 6:38:35 PM UTC-8, Paul Kopit wrote:
Based upon the group and private messages I received, I think I got
the bb length nailed on the first crack.

Whatever a 3L spindle is, I found out it was 116 mm long. I had a
Shimano 91 bb in a 113. I put a 1 mm space on the right side of the
bb. When I put the cranks on and changed the derailleur height, I
didn't have to change the stops at all. My best guess for 'the' bb
would be a 115. What had been in was Record crankset and bb.

The Record front derailleur shifted the non ramped 34/44 rings much
smoother than I expected it would. I'm going to test drive the beast
on tomorrows training ride. I put an 11/23 cassette on.

On 12 Jan 2003 19:28:34 -0800, (dianne_1234)
wrote:

I'm pretty sure Dave's GT and AT take a different length than Paul's
VP. The VP is one of Sugino's LP or SLP (Low Profile or Super Low
Profile) cranks.

After you mount the crank, consider measuring and adding it to
Sheldon's excellent database at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#sugino

Fast forward to 2018. Now compact drivetrains are the rage with 50/34 being standard gearing for most of us not competing.

Thank you for the information. I plan on building up a 1980s frameset with modern gearing to use in Eroica events. The crankset will be a Sugino VP to help keep the bike period correct.

Cheers,
Dennis