A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Longer run time for lights and need some ideas



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 29th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy
Ads
  #2  
Old December 29th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,945
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On 12/29/2017 2:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.


Mine are bolted on. I've never lost one yet.

But gazing at your photo, I'd think fear of electrocution would dissuade
most potential thieves!


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #3  
Old December 29th 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:12:54 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/29/2017 2:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.


Mine are bolted on. I've never lost one yet.

But gazing at your photo, I'd think fear of electrocution would dissuade
most potential thieves!


--
- Frank Krygowski


Did you have to fabricate it or did the light come with it?

Andy
  #4  
Old December 30th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 11:05:50 AM UTC-8, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy


800mAH would only be a AAA size.
Panasonic 3400, 2C, measure 35-3700, and cost ~$5 each from liion wholesale
https://liionwholesale.com/collectio...ant=1076987260

Harder to steal? Take it with you.

Overrated capacity claims keeps selling batteries and until the online sellers like Amazon and EBay crack down, the legitimate batteries will keep losing sales to the crooks.
  #5  
Old December 30th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 193
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:05:46 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy


Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #6  
Old December 30th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,945
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On 12/29/2017 4:34 PM, Andy wrote:
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:12:54 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/29/2017 2:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.


Mine are bolted on. I've never lost one yet.

But gazing at your photo, I'd think fear of electrocution would dissuade
most potential thieves!


--
- Frank Krygowski


Did you have to fabricate it or did the light come with it?


These are dynamo powered lights, designed to bolt on. Most use stock
brackets, but for some of them I did fabricate brackets that better
suited my purposes. Still, most were not sophisticated or difficult. If
I wanted to bolt on a battery light, it wouldn't be tremendously difficult.

For me, a possible motivation would be to avoid clamping the light on my
handlebar. I use handlebar bags on most bikes, so lights on the bars
don't work well. Besides, I prefer the light distribution I get from a
lamp mounted just above the front wheel.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #7  
Old December 30th 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 8:31:28 PM UTC-6, somebody wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:05:46 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy


Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Thanks.

Front head light has its own light pack consisting of 2 easily chargeable 18650s.

It isn't waterproof, so I will take it off at night.

Andy
  #8  
Old December 31st 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:31:28 PM UTC-8, somebody wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:05:46 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy


Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Oculus 1800Ultra headlight takes a single 18650, or a single 26650. The light comes with one of each. 18650 is half the weight of the 26650, with 2/3 of the burn time.
  #9  
Old January 1st 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 7:50:21 PM UTC-6, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:31:28 PM UTC-8, somebody wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:05:46 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy


Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Oculus 1800Ultra headlight takes a single 18650, or a single 26650. The light comes with one of each. 18650 is half the weight of the 26650, with 2/3 of the burn time.


$150 is more than I can budget. :-)

Andy
  #10  
Old January 2nd 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 27
Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 9:51:46 AM UTC-8, Andy wrote:
On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 7:50:21 PM UTC-6, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 6:31:28 PM UTC-8, somebody wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:05:46 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy

Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Oculus 1800Ultra headlight takes a single 18650, or a single 26650. The light comes with one of each. 18650 is half the weight of the 26650, with 2/3 of the burn time.


$150 is more than I can budget. :-)

Andy


The lowest end-user price is $125, for Pro-deal to sponsored teams, and if you're entered in an event Oculus supports, any RAAM connected or Planet Ultra event, and some 24 hour MTB races.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cycle lights no longer needed. Doug[_3_] UK 16 December 12th 10 05:57 PM
Blinking Lights good this time of the year! Sir Ridesalot General 54 November 6th 07 11:54 PM
Blinking Lights good this time of the year! [email protected] Techniques 26 October 31st 07 03:48 AM
Help With Lights for Night-time Riding Please Kevin Harper UK 17 October 26th 07 08:25 PM
Lights for night-time riding davek UK 18 April 24th 04 09:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.