Lidl Cycling Offers Mon 20th August

Old August 13th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Default Lidl Cycling Offers Mon 20th August

www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7

Lights with integrated computer, wall mount, crappy lock that you should
never-ever buy, heart rate monitor, floor pump (£3!), multi tool thingies
and panniers.

A floor pump with pressure gauge for £3 *has* to be a bargain.

About the tools. One set (the star keys) is made from chromed steel and
the other (mixed 9 piece set) is made from chrome vanadium steel. I
presume the first is cheese made to look like the second. Is the second
chesse too? I never know what metal to look for when it comes to tools.

--
Mark T
Old August 13th 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Mark T wrote:
www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7

Lights with integrated computer, wall mount, crappy lock that you
should never-ever buy, heart rate monitor, floor pump (£3!), multi
tool thingies and panniers.

A floor pump with pressure gauge for £3 *has* to be a bargain.

What's the bore diameter? ;-) (See other thread about pumps)

About the tools. One set (the star keys) is made from chromed steel
and the other (mixed 9 piece set) is made from chrome vanadium steel.
I presume the first is cheese made to look like the second. Is the
second chesse too? I never know what metal to look for when it comes
to tools.

Chrome vanadium steel is hard stuff - what good allen keys are made of.
www.mikedyason.com sells sets for £1.20 (proving that cheap isn't always
rubbish). Only pay more if you want longer keys, or ball-ended ones.

~PB

Old August 13th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

£2.99 for a track pump!!

I prefer those since my small hand pump moved the inner valve so much
on my Dawes as I pumped that the rubber perished on the tube next to
the valve.

Old August 13th 07, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adrian Godwin

Mark T pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid wrote:
www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7

Lights with integrated computer, wall mount, crappy lock that you should
never-ever buy, heart rate monitor, floor pump (?3!), multi tool thingies
and panniers.

I see what you mean about the lock ..

Does anyone know where I can find a huge thick motorbike-style chain
for a reasonable (small) amount of cash ? I've seen these at Lidl, but
not, of course, now that I want one.

I want to leave a bike at a bus station regularly .. but the bike,
while quite nice (an 80s CB), looks unfashionable and only cost me 30
quid. Spending as much again on a lock seems silly. Losing it
would be more inconvenient than expensive, so I just want a chain that
LOOKS impressive.

-adrian

Old August 13th 07, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stan Cox

spindrift wrote:
£2.99 for a track pump!!

I prefer those since my small hand pump moved the inner valve so much
on my Dawes as I pumped that the rubber perished on the tube next to
the valve.

My "spare" one of these in the car is still going strong 4 years later
and it gets more use than the "main" Silca at home. The HRM's are great too.

Stan Cox
Old August 13th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Am Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:35:35 +0100 schrieb Adrian Godwin:

Does anyone know where I can find a huge thick motorbike-style chain
for a reasonable (small) amount of cash ? I've seen these at Lidl, but
not, of course, now that I want one.

I once bought a cheapy lock in the local Wilkinson shop to lock up a BSO
(not mine).
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0106138
But you seem to look for something like this:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0040250
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0226345

Andreas
Old August 13th 07, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adrian Godwin

Andreas Schulze-B?ing wrote:

But you seem to look for something like this:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0040250
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0226345

Andreas

Cheers - that would do nicely. I'll have a look there.

-adrian
Old August 14th 07, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"Geraint Jones" alid
wrote in message ...
Mark T wrote:
www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7
A floor pump with pressure gauge for £3 *has* to be a bargain.

I used similar reasoning when Tchibo had something of the same sort.
I only managed to use it a couple of times before the head came off
the hose. I've cut the hose and refastened it once; it's come off
again and I'm dithering between trying to fix it a second time and
breaking the pump up for useful bits of plastic pipe.

I've got one (Lidl) that's in regular use and has been for a couple of years
now. It's used to put air in the offspring's Zipp tubs, and it manages very
well to get up to a suitable high pressure. Indeed, I get other riders
asking if they can borrow it!

Old August 17th 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BIG_ONE

"wafflycat" wrote:

I've got one (Lidl) that's in regular use and has been for a couple of years
now. It's used to put air in the offspring's Zipp tubs, and it manages very
well to get up to a suitable high pressure. Indeed, I get other riders
asking if they can borrow it!

mine blew up (literally) when using it to pump a new tyre up to 120
.... previously it hadn't gone over 100 & I had _no_ complaints

RR: The Other Fleet Moss Randonee (200km) 20th August 2006 MSeries UK 0 August 24th 06 11:12 AM
Cycling basics at Lidl wafflycat UK 6 March 23rd 06 06:12 PM
For Elena, cycling shorts in Lidl Holly in France UK 3 March 18th 05 10:13 AM
Lidl - Cycling bits and pieces from 22 March Delstron UK 20 March 24th 04 03:38 PM