NYPD cops loses badge and gun after cyclist assault.

Old July 29th 08, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default NYPD cops loses badge and gun after cyclist assault.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d4b_1217277214

NEW YORK

(CBS)

A New York City police officer was stripped of his gun and badge
Monday after he was caught on video slamming a cyclist in motion to
the ground.

The cyclist was among over a hundred other "Critical Mass" riders
passing through Times Square Friday evening, when witnesses say -- and
as a video posted on YouTube shows -- two officers approach him.
What happens next is disturbing. One of the officers intercepts the
rider, identified as Christopher Long of Bloomfield, N.J., and
apparently deliberately shoves him hard as he rides by, sending the
cyclist hard to the pavement.
Craig Radhuber was taking part in the ride, and witnessed the
incident.
"And the one spun around, saw a bicyclist and grabbed him off his
bicycle. And then the other policeman jumped on top of him and the two
were wrestling, wrestling this guy down trying to arrest him," he told
CBS 2.
Radhuber had not yet seen the video until CBS 2 showed it to him.

"Wow!" he said watching it for the first time. "I was so upset when I
saw this thing happen."

Critical Mass sponsors monthly bike rides in New York and other cities
to bring attention to bike ridership, ironically, to make city streets
safer for cyclists.
Radhuber has participated in numerous such rides through the city and
says the animosity on the part of police towards Critical Mass has
increased.
"I've never seen it like this before. This actually surprised me," he
said. "It makes me not trust the police at all. It makes me very
angry."

Police have placed the officer, identified as Patrick Pogan, on desk
duty pending the outcome of a department investigation. Pogan told
officials that Long was obstructing traffic and that the biker was
actually trying to run him down.
Long, 29, was charged with attempted assault, resisting arrest, and
disorderly conduct.

He'll make an appearance in court on August 5.

End quote.

The cyclist could have landed on a pram or elderly person on the
pavement. How the flip they can consider those charges against the
cyclist is beyond me.

Witnesses challenged Officer Pogan’s account of the incident.
One cyclist, Craig Radhuber, 54, said he was a few feet behind Mr.
Long, whom he said he did not know. He said Officer Pogan “body-
slammed this kid off the bicycle so hard that he went from the lane to
the curb.”
“I went over to yell at the police when another officer came and asked
me to move back,” Mr. Radhuber said.
Mr. Radhuber said Mr. Long had not been weaving in traffic, as Officer
Pogan alleged. “There was no traffic behind us — there was no traffic
to weave in and out of,” Mr. Radhuber said. “The police officer looked
to see who he was going to pick off.”
Bill DiPaola, a director of Time’s Up, said he arrived just after Mr.
Long went down. “He got up and was dazed,” he said, referring to Mr.
Long. Then, referring to Officer Pogan and the other officer in the
video, he said, “They put their knees on top of his head and were
smashing him into a phone booth.”
A lawyer for Mr. Long, Mark Taylor, said the cyclist had been
“assaulted by the police.” He said Mr. Long, who was bruised but not
hospitalized, was not available for interviews. “We believe the video
speaks for itself,” he said, adding that he hoped the Manhattan
district attorney’s office would drop the charges against Mr. Long.

Norman Siegel, a civil rights lawyer who represented Time’s Up in
2006, said he had been asked by its leaders to look at the video. He
said it “shows unacceptable illegal behavior by this particular police
officer.”

“Unfortunately, it’s another example of how the N.Y.P.D. has targeted
without justification the Critical Mass bike riders,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Old July 29th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 02:05:06 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
spindrift wrote this:-

How the flip they can consider those charges against the
cyclist is beyond me.

Typical police tactic. Charge the victim.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 29th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_3_]

spindrift wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d4b_1217277214

A New York City police officer was stripped of his gun and badge
Monday after he was caught on video slamming a cyclist in motion to
the ground.

Looking at the video he got what he deserved.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
Old July 29th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting spindrift :
NEW YORK

Which, newsflash, is not in the UK. Keep it off urc!
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Mania, July.
Old July 29th 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

On 29/07/2008 13:07, Paul - xxx said,

Looking at the video he got what he deserved.

I wonder if that particular cyclist was being looked for in connection
with something else? The reason I say that is that both coppers seemed
to see him and move towards him at the same time, ignoring other
cyclists. That doesn't excuse the way he was stopped though!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 29th 08, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

spindrift wrote:

[ ... ]

[A] cyclist was among over a hundred other "Critical Mass" riders
[...]

Perhaps the police officer is completely right and perhaps the
totally-non-independent witness is not being as honest as a genuinely
independent witness would be?

I've certainly got no way of knowing - have you?

We'll just have to let the court decide, won't we?
Old July 29th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

On 29/07/2008 19:14, JNugent said,

Perhaps the police officer is completely right and perhaps the
totally-non-independent witness is not being as honest as a genuinely
independent witness would be?

I've certainly got no way of knowing - have you?

Did you actually watch the video?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 29th 08, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Paul Boyd wrote:

On 29/07/2008 19:14, JNugent said,

Perhaps the police officer is completely right and perhaps the
totally-non-independent witness is not being as honest as a genuinely
independent witness would be?

I've certainly got no way of knowing - have you?

Did you actually watch the video?

I have seen *a* video which is purported to be something to do with the
case, if that's what you mean.
Old July 29th 08, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:07:47 +0100, Paul Boyd wrote:
On 29/07/2008 13:07, Paul - xxx said,

Looking at the video he got what he deserved.

I wonder if that particular cyclist was being looked for in
connection with something else? The reason I say that is that both
coppers seemed to see him and move towards him at the same time,
ignoring other cyclists. That doesn't excuse the way he was
stopped though!

I saw something to the effect that the cyclist was wanted for
something done earlier on the ride. Mind you, the same report also
had the policeman saying that the cyclist was deliberately trying to
run him down. Having seen the video, and observed that the policeman
had to just break into a run to arrange the collision, I believe that
at least part of the report was blatantly lies, which casts some doubt
on the rest of it (imo).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 29th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
urillan

On Jul 29, 2:14*pm, JNugent wrote:
spindrift wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Nope.. we can decide ourselves really. The cop clearly lied. In
papers filed in Manhattan Criminal Court, Officer Pogan said the
cyclist named "forcing multiple vehicles to stop abruptly or change
their direction to avoid hitting the defendant" which is a lie since
the video showed the street in both directions and there were no
vehicles.

Further, the officer stated "that upon instructing the defendant to
cease the above described conduct, the defendant steered the
defendant's bicycle in the direction of the deponent and drove
defendants bicycle directly into deponents body, causing deponent to
fll to the ground and causing deponent to suffer lacerations on
deponent's forearms"

The video deftly disproves those claims, demonstrating the cop's
claims and even testimony under oath to be unreliable.