A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New B&M 100lux headlight.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old December 18th 17, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 12:06:56 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 15:34:07 +1100, James
wrote:

They also have real world beam shots, but of course no competitor's
lights for comparison. Note that the headlight I have illuminates the
wall in their photo out to 45m ahead.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/1752qsndi.html?


On the above page is a photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
One look at the nearly perfect columns and the rather odd road
surface, and I immediately suspected that there's been some serious
editing. If you look at the EXIF data with the photo with your
favorite photo editor, it includes:

Filename - 80 Lux - Ausleuchtung IQ-Premium.jpg
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D800
Software - Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
DateTime - 2017-08-25T15:13:11+02:00
Artist - Thomas von der Heiden
Copyright - musikfotografie.de
etc...

So, it's a professionally done photograph edited with Photoshop,
possibly to "add" the columns as well as the obvious distance markers.
My guess(tm) is that this was originally taken outdoors on a proper
road surface, and the markers, columns, ceiling, and road surface were
all Photoshopped.

Enlarging the "wall" ahead shows that it's a very large white bed
sheet, suspended perfectly from something in the ceiling, with the
lower edge laying perfectly flat on the pavement. The lanes in
Germany are about 3.7 meters wide, so the white bed sheet would need
to be about 10 meters long and 4 meters high. The light on the bed
sheet shows no shadows from the "folds" in the bed sheet.

The light area near the base of the columns is really odd. I would
expect the intensity to fade (following inverse square law) into the
distance. It doesn't.

The distance markers seem to show that the distance between columns is
5 meters. That works up to the 20 meter marker, but fails in the
distance, where the spacing works out to more like 10 meters between
columns.

I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

Methinks the entire photo is a Photoshop fake.

When I tried to false color the lighting on the roadway, the results
were rather weird and did not look like anything I've ever seen on any
of the other photos (mostly from Peter White's site) that I've
tinkered with. I'm not sure, but it's possible that even the lighted
roadway area was tweaked. I'll post something later today. I'm
playing with the newer ImageJ2 and want to write some better
instructions.



--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558


Have you tried to contact B&M to ask where they took the pictures? Ask if they have a daytime picture of the same scene? First hand info would be most accurate to explain what (the company says) Photoshop was used for.

Photoshopping could be simple cropping or basic preparation that anyone preparing graphics for publication wout do.
Ads
  #142  
Old December 18th 17, 08:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,305
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 11/21/2017 2:34 PM, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html


From the description it sounds like they've addressed one of the big
complaints of lower-power lights, the lack of peripheral illumination.
Since it's StVZO, they could not include a flash mode for the DRL which
is too bad. On one of my bicycles I have what I believe is the only
dynamo light with a flash mode, but it's not my primary light because it
isn't bright enough. On my Dahon folder, I have one of the best dynamo
lights available, and it's sufficient for lower speed rides that don't
involve dark trails.

As an aside, related to "dark bicycle infrastructure," I inquired from
our traffic engineer as to whether or not a new planned path would have
lighting, and he said, "probably not" since it will be on Santa Clara
County Water District land and they don't want lighting in riparian
areas, even though in this case it's not a creek, just a drainage ditch.
I'd like to see lighting as it will end up being a heavily used
multi-use trail if it is ever built, including night and early morning.





  #143  
Old December 18th 17, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,305
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 12/16/2017 9:06 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Well, Frank bought one, and I would like to hear his unbiased review. I have to admit, though, that there are aspects of the design/logo/website that scream home-brew -- which goes to show you how much window-dressing makes a difference these days, often for the worse. There are a lot of lipstick wearing pigs these days. But if I were running the company, I'd spend a few bucks on graphics and product design.


I've seen the lights on several occasions, and the actual product is fine.

There are some design decisions that I don't necessarily like but I
understand why they were made and what the trade-offs were.

He did say that his goal was to license the optics. Battery powered
lights aren't rocket science, the LEDs, batteries, charging circuit,
control circuit, and thermal design are pretty standard, but the optics
are the challenge to do well, and the Oculus does have excellent optics.

But the website, oy. That really screams "homebrew," and scares
potential customers away.
  #144  
Old December 18th 17, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 2:18:25 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 17/12/17 09:15, James wrote:
On 17/12/17 08:51, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
My guess(tm) is that about
90% of the discussions in RBT involve some form of criticism.* Not to
worry.* I'm used to it.
More later.


The enclosed concrete space makes the light look brighter than if shot outside on black asphalt.
Also the depth of field and high contrast indicates a long-ish shutter speed.

Here's real photo cheating:
Over/underexposures taken by Francis Cebedo who was receiving support from Light and Motion at the time, comparing an older Taz with an early Oculus a few years ago.

Aiming higher or lower can change how a lights looks to the camera.
Can't figure out how Francis aimed it. Maybe angled, bike tilt, not sure.

Take a look at the blue night sky and light on the horizon. IF both pictures were exposed the same, the background scene should have the same exposure in both pictures. The early Taz is either overexposed and/or brightness increased/contrast decreased, and/or the early Oculus is underexposed and/or brightness decreased/contrast increased. Also one was shot more to the side of the other, not from a fixed tripod, so the elevation and position between the two isn't the same for a few lights through the bushes.
@Jeff, feel free to analyze for any differences you can find.

Also looks like adaptive metering instead of fixed manual settings.

Soon before that, the head of L&M and I already checked out his and mine side by side. L&M and I saw equivalently bright beams with the variations being in the short fill versus throw. Current Taz now has a longer throw, Oculus 1800/3000 now has a wider short fill than the old Kickstarter design.
  #145  
Old December 18th 17, 09:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

--
JS


A link would help.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2c?usp=sharing
  #146  
Old December 18th 17, 09:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 12:56:37 AM UTC-8, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 2:18:25 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 17/12/17 09:15, James wrote:
On 17/12/17 08:51, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
My guess(tm) is that about
90% of the discussions in RBT involve some form of criticism.* Not to
worry.* I'm used to it.
More later.


The enclosed concrete space makes the light look brighter than if shot outside on black asphalt.
Also the depth of field and high contrast indicates a long-ish shutter speed.

Here's real photo cheating:
Over/underexposures taken by Francis Cebedo who was receiving support from Light and Motion at the time, comparing an older Taz with an early Oculus a few years ago.

Aiming higher or lower can change how a lights looks to the camera.
Can't figure out how Francis aimed it. Maybe angled, bike tilt, not sure..

Take a look at the blue night sky and light on the horizon. IF both pictures were exposed the same, the background scene should have the same exposure in both pictures. The early Taz is either overexposed and/or brightness increased/contrast decreased, and/or the early Oculus is underexposed and/or brightness decreased/contrast increased. Also one was shot more to the side of the other, not from a fixed tripod, so the elevation and position between the two isn't the same for a few lights through the bushes.
@Jeff, feel free to analyze for any differences you can find.

Also looks like adaptive metering instead of fixed manual settings.

Soon before that, the head of L&M and I already checked out his and mine side by side. L&M and I saw equivalently bright beams with the variations being in the short fill versus throw. Current Taz now has a longer throw, Oculus 1800/3000 now has a wider short fill than the old Kickstarter design..




A link would help.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2c?usp=sharing
  #147  
Old December 18th 17, 09:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

A link would help.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2c?usp=sharing
  #148  
Old December 18th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,833
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 23:43:07 -0800 (PST), Oculus Lights
wrote:

Have you tried to contact B&M to ask where they took
the pictures? Ask if they have a daytime picture of
the same scene? First hand info would be most accurate
to explain what (the company says) Photoshop was used for.


No, I haven't. I probably should, but it will need to wait a few
weeks. I've been very busy lately and expect to remain busy until
next year. I don't think I'll get an answer from B&M but might get
something from the photographer.

Same problem with looking at your Taz vs Oculus photos. No time and
I'm not sure I could do anything with them anyway. It's the same
problem I have with using pseudo color to represent light intensity on
every photo. Without two different light level (lux) reference levels
on the photo, I can't do much. The B&M photos are unique in that the
hot spot (highest intensity) in the photo is probably the advertised
light level at some unspecified distance. Anyway, I'll play with your
stuff if I can find some time.

You were right about the long exposure and small lens aperture needed
to get a decent depth of field in the dark. Everything from zero to
about 7 meters is out of focus in the original B&M 80 Lux photo.

More from the EXIF metadata:
Filename - 80 Lux - Ausleuchtung IQ-Premium.jpg
Software - Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
DateTime - 2017-08-25T15:13:11+02:00
Artist - Thomas von der Heiden
Copyright - musikfotografie.de
ExposureTime - 15 seconds
FNumber - 16
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ShutterSpeedValue - 15 seconds
ApertureValue - F 16.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 2.83
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 26 mm
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 26 mm

Photoshopping could be simple cropping or basic preparation
that anyone preparing graphics for publication wout do.


Sure. The distance markers were probably added with Photoshop. My
questions are how much additional editing and enhancements were done
with Photoshop and was the entire garage added to the lighting
footprint on the ground? There are just too many inconsistencies in
the columns, overhead, sprinklers, lane lines, asphalt roadway, etc.

The lighting pattern looks right, but everything else looks faked. The
CYO web page says "We show real light fields of all of our
headlights", which says it correctly. The lighting is real, but what
about the rest?

Here's another photo of an underground car garage:
http://www.infinitessol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/parking-and-trasnportation.jpg
Notice the ducting, wires, lighting, concrete roadway, stained
columns, signage, and fire sprinkler spacing, all of which are either
missing or very different in the original photo.


--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #149  
Old December 18th 17, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,833
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 00:03:40 -0800, sms
wrote:

As an aside, related to "dark bicycle infrastructure," I inquired from
our traffic engineer as to whether or not a new planned path would have
lighting, and he said, "probably not" since it will be on Santa Clara
County Water District land and they don't want lighting in riparian
areas, even though in this case it's not a creek, just a drainage ditch.
I'd like to see lighting as it will end up being a heavily used
multi-use trail if it is ever built, including night and early morning.


No problem. Just issue flashlights and bicycle lights at the
beginning of the trail, and have riders deposit them in a bin at the
other end. The total cost of such lights would probably be less than
the cost of the environmental impact study needed to build anything in
a riparian corridor. If economics don't work out to the council's
liking, then invent the flashlight and bicycle light vending machine.


--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #150  
Old December 18th 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,305
Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 12/18/2017 10:10 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 00:03:40 -0800, sms
wrote:

As an aside, related to "dark bicycle infrastructure," I inquired from
our traffic engineer as to whether or not a new planned path would have
lighting, and he said, "probably not" since it will be on Santa Clara
County Water District land and they don't want lighting in riparian
areas, even though in this case it's not a creek, just a drainage ditch.
I'd like to see lighting as it will end up being a heavily used
multi-use trail if it is ever built, including night and early morning.


No problem. Just issue flashlights and bicycle lights at the
beginning of the trail, and have riders deposit them in a bin at the
other end. The total cost of such lights would probably be less than
the cost of the environmental impact study needed to build anything in
a riparian corridor. If economics don't work out to the council's
liking, then invent the flashlight and bicycle light vending machine.


The "thing" is that unlike an MUP along a creek, which really is a
riparian area, this drainage ditch is not. The MUP would run on the
south side of the 280 sound wall from the Mary Avenue Bicycle Bridge,
past Apple's Infinite Loop campus, and continue to Apple's new Apple
Park campus.

I can't imagine it being pleasant to ride right next to the freeway, but
it is what it is.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The last headlight you will ever need somebody[_2_] Techniques 115 April 28th 14 02:12 AM
Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 07:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.