ARRRRRGH

Old April 24th 04, 09:23 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Default ARRRRRGH

I must suck at flat-fixing.

Many moons ago, I had a flat. I patched it. It held air. Life was
good.

I went away for a couple of weeks, during which my bicycle languished
on its hook. now that I come back to it--the tire is flat. No
problem, I'll just pump it up--and then I hear the sharp hiss.

Do patched tires *always* continue to leak? or is my patching bad?

I'll just slap a new tube on it this afternoon and re-teach myself how
to patch. ugh.

-Luigi
Old April 24th 04, 10:04 PM

Luigi de Guzman writes:

I must suck at flat-fixing.

Many moons ago, I had a flat. I patched it. It held air. Life was
good.

I went away for a couple of weeks, during which my bicycle
languished on its hook. now that I come back to it--the tire is
flat. No problem, I'll just pump it up--and then I hear the sharp
hiss.

Do patched tires *always* continue to leak? or is my patching bad?

I'll just slap a new tube on it this afternoon and re-teach myself
how to patch. ugh.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.1.html

Jobst Brandt

Old April 24th 04, 10:17 PM
S. Anderson

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote in message
I must suck at flat-fixing.

snip..

Do patched tires *always* continue to leak? or is my patching bad?

I've patched probably...200 tubes. I never enjoy it and I never know if
it's going to work. I was doing it in the confines of a nicely appointed
shop..doing it on the road while sweating and rushing, that's a horror I
could do without. I tried to sell new tubes whenever possible...usually
cheaper than the time it takes to patch one. So don't feel too bad..

Cheers,

Scott..

Old April 24th 04, 11:43 PM
R15757

Luigi,

Just follow the directions in the patch kit to the letter.
Avoid the FAQ because it's full of bad information on
this subject.

Also, don't assume that the patch failed. Did you
forget to remove the culprit from your tire before
putting the tube back in? Or perhaps there was more
than one hole to begin with.

Robert
Old April 25th 04, 12:14 AM

Luigi who? snipes,

Just follow the directions in the patch kit to the letter. Avoid
the FAQ because it's full of bad information on this subject.

That's a pretty broad brush you use without specifics. Wold you
clarify what it is in the the referenced FAQ that you find "bad
information". If not, then I take it you are just another disgruntled
sniper that arise here on occasion, usually under an alias. You
wouldn't want to be quoted to your face on this would you?

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.1.html

Also, don't assume that the patch failed. Did you forget to remove
the culprit from your tire before putting the tube back in? Or
perhaps there was more than one hole to begin with.

That should be evident on second inspection, after it went flat again.
Was the patch leaking or was there another hole? The reason for the
sandpaper in the patch kit is unknown to many of those who write the
instructions, something that is apparent from the advice to "rough up
the tube" before applying glue.

Jobst Brandt

Old April 25th 04, 01:34 AM
Andrew Price

Luigi de Guzman wrote -

I must suck at flat-fixing.

Not so - whilst there are no doubt many sound technical reasons for why some
patches don't work, the real reason was that the Puncture Gods thought they
had had insufficient sport with you and changing tyres in a nice warm garage
with unfrozen fingers really wasn't much of a penance was it ?

I find making offerings of not quite worn tyres (esp the rear) before they
are embarrassingly thin in the tread tends to appease the PG's.

Demonstrating unseemly pride by making statements about how many months /
klms it has been since a puncture is a dead set invitation for retribution,
and vengeance will be theirs.

best, Andrew

"But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight;
Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a wildcat can it fight...
I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern, right straight away, at sight."
A B 'Banjo' Patterson - "Mulga Bill" 25 July 1896.

Old April 25th 04, 01:45 AM
Mark Hickey

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

I must suck at flat-fixing.

Many moons ago, I had a flat. I patched it. It held air. Life was
good.

I went away for a couple of weeks, during which my bicycle languished
on its hook. now that I come back to it--the tire is flat. No
problem, I'll just pump it up--and then I hear the sharp hiss.

Do patched tires *always* continue to leak? or is my patching bad?

I'll just slap a new tube on it this afternoon and re-teach myself how
to patch. ugh.

I've found that the glueless patches work well as long as you don't
let the tires go fairly soft. Then they seem to wrinkle and leak -
but on bikes that I ride daily they seem to last pretty much forever.

What kind of patch did you use?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 25th 04, 01:56 AM
R15757

Jobst Brandt wrote:

That's a pretty broad brush you use without specifics. Wold you
clarify what it is in the the referenced FAQ that you find "bad
information". If not, then I take it you are just another disgruntled
sniper that arise here on occasion, usually under an alias. You
wouldn't want to be quoted to your face on this would you?

We've gone over this before. Quote this: You must let
the "glue" dry completely before applying the patch, as
directed in the REMA patch kit, which on step four of
the directions has a picture of a clock and the words
"min. 5 min." You contend that patches fail even when
they are applied correctly, if they are used
immediately after patching, and that is simply not the
case. In fact the REMA patches are a virtually fail-safe
method when used correctly, and the patched tube can
be used immediately after patching with no problems
whatsoever. Your patches are prone to failure for the
simple reason that you don't let the glue dry near long
enough before applying the patch.

Robert
Old April 25th 04, 02:39 AM
garmonboezia

Luigi de Guzman wrote in
:

I must suck at flat-fixing.

Many moons ago, I had a flat. I patched it. It held air. Life was
good.

I went away for a couple of weeks, during which my bicycle languished
on its hook. now that I come back to it--the tire is flat. No
problem, I'll just pump it up--and then I hear the sharp hiss.

Do patched tires *always* continue to leak? or is my patching bad?

I'll just slap a new tube on it this afternoon and re-teach myself how
to patch. ugh.

-Luigi

Patch or no patch, your tires would still have lost a small amount of air
over a few weeks.

As a last resort, I remove the tube and immerse it in a sink when searching
for intermittent or multiple leaks. Also I note the orientation of the
tube to the tire so I can examine the tire for remnants of whatever caused
the puncture in the first place. Rusty staples or wire cause most of my
punctures.

I generally ride a patch immediately after slapping it on with no noticable
ill effects.