Helmet laws???

Old November 10th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munifreaker

Default Helmet laws???

Searching the internet, I found this much information:

231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride,
propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears,
and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject
to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and
21200.5.

467. (a) A "pedestrian" is any person who is afoot or who is using
any of the following:
(1) A means of conveyance propelled by human power other than a
bicycle.
(2) An electric personal assistive mobility device.
(b) "Pedestrian" includes any person who is operating a
self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized
quadricycle and, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise
unable to move about as a pedestrian, as specified in subdivision
(a).
(c) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1,
2008, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted
statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2008, deletes or extends
that date.

This information all came from http://tinyurl.com/f8kh

So I was wondering, does this mean you are not legally forced to wear a
helmet while unicycling?

A pedestrian doesn't have to wear a helmet to walk, and a unicyclist is
technically a pedestrian so should you have to wear one to ride a
unicycle? (Oh, just to make things clear, these are the California
state laws...sorry Canadians)

Any help/answers you can give me is appreciated, as I want to ride my
uni in town today, but my helmet is currently broken.

Thank you!

--
munifreaker
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munifreaker

Mikefule wrote:
You must have a fascinating map if it only shows California and Canada.

haha, OK..how about Sorry Canadians, English, Dutch, Sweds (are those
the same?...i dont know my countries!!!) French, Germans, Italians,
Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Welsh, Sicilians (sicily-sicilians?),
umm... Afghanies, uh.....

....etc?

--
munifreaker
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
NKahler

munifreaker wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it seems like we wouldnt have to wear helmets... But cops are
stupid
I was riding my unicycle at the park at night with my friend and cousin
and a cop pulled me over and said I would have to pay a $100 fine if I
dont have lights on my unicycle..
(Im in Oregon BTW)

--
NKahler

puresyn wrote:
Dude, unislab, I'm kinda broke cause I just bought a Swedish wiener
stretcher.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

munifreaker wrote:

231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride,
propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears,
and *having one or more wheels*. Persons riding bicycles are subject
to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and
21200.5.

I'm confused. It seems pretty clear that a unicycle would be considered
a bicycle by this statute.

Huh?

Wear your helmet!

--
Bondo
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munifreaker

your giraffe would

I have a KH 20

no Gears, Belts, OR chains on that baby

therefore, by legal defenition, its NOT a bicycle

--
munifreaker
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

munifreaker wrote:
your giraffe would

I have a KH 20

no Gears, Belts, OR chains on that baby

therefore, by legal defenition, its NOT a bicycle

But it does have one wheel, and as what you posted before, it stated,
having ONE or more wheel.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
NKahler

Jerrick wrote:
But it does have one wheel, and as what you posted before, it stated,
having ONE or more wheel.

But it says "a belt, chain, or gears,
*-_AND_-* having one or more wheels"
If it said "OR" then it would be considered a bicycle

--
NKahler

Old November 10th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

munifreaker wrote:
231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride,propelled
exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears,
and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject to
the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

That to me does not include unicycles other than giraffes or gunis, and
it seems pretty specific about it too.

It's certainly a whole less wooly than the English equivalent of what
is not allowed to ride on the pavement; "bicycle, tricycle, velocopede
*or similar*" which would leave it up to a court to decide if a
unicycle was -similar -to a bicycle or not.

However, for your own personal safety, there's very little excuse for
not wearing a helmet.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Lytning

munifreaker wrote:
Searching the internet, I found this much information:

231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride,
propelled exclusively *by human power through a belt, chain, or
gears,*
and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject
to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and
21200.5.

It would seem that this does exclude *most* unicycles... as most are
Direct Drive without belts, gears, or chains...

munifreaker wrote:
467. (a) A "pedestrian" is any person who is afoot or who is using
any of the following:
(1) A means of conveyance propelled by human power other than a
bicycle.
(2) An electric personal assistive mobility device.
(b) "Pedestrian" includes any person who is operating a
self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized
quadricycle and, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise
unable to move about as a pedestrian, as specified in subdivision
(a).
(c) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1,
2008, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted
statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2008, deletes or extends
that date.

What I find more interesting is that 'Pedestrians' in (b) are NOT
required to wear any protective gear... as they would be near
completely unable to protect themselves in a fall or other mishap... as
others would.

munifreaker wrote:
So I was wondering, does this mean you are not legally forced to wear a
helmet while unicycling?

I would tend to agree with you... unless you are riding anything other
then a very basic unicycle...
However... it is just a good idea to wear a helmet and other protective
gear just to keep your brains and body intact...

munifreaker wrote:
A pedestrian doesn't have to wear a helmet to walk,...

and sadly there are those that should...

--
Lytning
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 10th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

NKahler wrote:
But it says "a belt, chain, or gears,
*-_AND_-* having one or more wheels"
If it said "OR" then it would be considered a bicycle

hmmm true

--
thejdw

I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com

Helmet laws??? Mikefule Unicycling 0 November 10th 07 07:55 PM
Anyone know what's happening Helmet laws? Chris B. General 55 February 12th 05 02:46 AM
Helmet Use Laws JJuggle Unicycling 4 August 19th 04 08:02 PM
Tasmanian helmet laws? John Henderson Australia 15 March 5th 04 01:00 PM
Any helmet laws successfully overturned? one of the six billion General 20 July 3rd 03 12:34 AM