Ed Dolan & Melanie

Old March 16th 11, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

Default Ed Dolan & Melanie

"Tēm ShermĒnT °_°" " wrote in
message ...
On 3/15/2011 9:57 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Gluck reformed opera which badly needed reforming because of types like
Handel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1B85UQT4AY

Better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xFu2CpxFBA. Too bad he was too
drunk to remember to tie his shoes.

You obviously have no conception of what is meant by the phrase "Gluck
reformed opera".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluck

Here is the pertinent passage from the article on Gluck on Wikipedia:

"Gluck had long pondered the fundamental problem of form and content in
opera. He thought both of the main Italian operatic genres - opera buffa and
opera seria - had strayed too far from what opera should really be and
seemed unnatural. Opera buffa had long lost its original freshness. Its
jokes were threadbare and the repetition of the same characters made them
seem no more than stereotypes. In opera seria the singing was devoted to
superficial effects and the content was uninteresting and fossilised. As in
opera buffa, the singers were effectively absolute masters of the stage and
the music, decorating the vocal lines so floridly that audiences could no
longer recognise the original melody. Gluck wanted to return opera to its
origins, focusing on human drama and passions and making words and music of
equal importance.
In Vienna, Gluck met likeminded figures in the operatic world: Count Giacomo
Durazzo, the head of the court theatre, who was a passionate admirer of
French stage music; the librettist Ranieri de' Calzabigi, who wanted to
attack the dominance of Metastasian opera seria; the innovative
choreographer Gasparo Angiolini; and the London-trained castrato Gaetano
Guadagni.

The first result of the new thinking was Gluck's reformist ballet Don Juan,
but a more important work was soon to follow. On 5 October 1762, Orfeo ed
Euridice was given its first performance, with music by Gluck to words by
Calzabigi. The dances were arranged by Angiolini and the title role was
taken by Guadagni. Orfeo, which has never left the standard repertory,
showed the beginnings of Gluck's reforms. His idea was to make the drama of
the work more important than the star singers who performed it, and to do
away with dry recitative (recitativo secco, accompanied only by continuo)
that broke up the action. The more flowing and dramatic style which resulted
has been seen as a precursor to the music dramas of Richard Wagner.

Gluck and Calzabigi followed Orfeo with Alceste (1767) and Paride ed Elena
(1770), pushing their innovations even further. Calzabigi wrote a preface to
Alceste, which Gluck signed, setting out the principles of their reforms."

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old March 16th 11, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Tēm ShermĒnT °_°" " wrote in
message ...
On 3/16/2011 12:14 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
All of pop music including rock is just one step above nursery rhymes for
children.[...]

Or can be both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHJLd8QRz8 [1] (from the
greatest hits of 1780).

[1] The death of John Churchill [2] was greatly exaggerated.
[2] Son of Sir Winston Churchill, of course.

But what would Mozart have made of this melody?

Here is a hint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMhYomyVYGs

Old March 16th 11, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Edward Dolan wrote:

You never want to love anyone who can return it. Nay, only unrequited love
is worth anything.

Here is Melanie, forever beyond my reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GTx...eature=related

Again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXpvv...eature=related

Let me ask you, do you go to your grave any more unrequited than I do?

Until I saw the videos, I thought you were referring to this
Melanie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOExGVgQzRg

I think she might be a good counterpart for you, Ed.

Chalo
Old March 16th 11, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 15, 5:52*pm, James wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
You never want to love anyone who can return it. Nay, only unrequited love
is worth anything.

Here is Melanie, forever beyond my reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GTx...eature=related

Cute! *Lucky I turned the sound off quickly. *Almost as painful as the
Scots pipes!

JS.

European folk music is brutally alien to me.
Old March 16th 11, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 15, 8:34*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " " wrote in

On 3/15/2011 6:52 PM, James Steward wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
You never want to love anyone who can return it. Nay, only unrequited
love is worth anything.

Here is Melanie, forever beyond my reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GTx...eature=related

Cute! Lucky I turned the sound off quickly.

Implied commentary on yodeling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJAY4hvnJbY.

Yodeling is the heart leaping for joy. Anyone who does not understand this
is a barbarian.

Almost as painful as the Scots pipes!

What should be used as the Scottish national music instead of the insipid
Flower of Scotland:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMly__Q99-w&feature=related

So what is not to like? I have always loved bagpipe music provided it keeps
to a quick step. The Irish Uillin pipes are even more beautiful. The air
flow is accomplished with the elbow instead of the lungs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iteZq27y5Kg

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

I don't understand yodeling. It reminds me of that unwatchable and
weird cartoon that played when i was a child "Heide". I grew up in
Buenos Aires. Germanic European folk culture was probably something as
alien to me as when the Europeans arrived in Africa, America or East
Asia.

When I went to Northern Germany in the 80s and saw men wearing green
knickers, long socks and leprechaun looking shoes I thought that I was
in some episode of star trek, or, the very famous bar scene in star
wars. Melanie could have been singing in the star wars bar scene and
the alien effect would have been the same.
Old March 16th 11, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 15, 8:27*pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 3/15/2011 12:58 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:

You never want to love anyone who can return it. Nay, only unrequited love
is worth anything.

Here is Melanie, forever beyond my reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GTx...eature=related

Again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXpvv...eature=related

Let me ask you, do you go to your grave any more unrequited than I do?

I prefer Hana Blazikova:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDd57KOxGfc&feature=related.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqf2q...eature=related

Better version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDAJr...eature=related
Old March 16th 11, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 16, 1:08*am, Chalo wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:

You never want to love anyone who can return it. Nay, only unrequited love
is worth anything.

Here is Melanie, forever beyond my reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GTx...eature=related

Again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXpvv...eature=related

Let me ask you, do you go to your grave any more unrequited than I do?

Until I saw the videos, I thought you were referring to this
Melanie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOExGVgQzRg

I think she might be a good counterpart for you, Ed.

Chalo

More truly civilized music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8vs...eature=related
Old March 16th 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default the holy spirit

On Mar 16, 7:16*am, " wrote:
On Mar 16, 1:08*am, Chalo wrote:

Edward Dolan wrote:

You never want to love anyone who can return it. Nay, only unrequited love
is worth anything.

Here is Melanie, forever beyond my reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GTx...eature=related

Again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXpvv...eature=related

Let me ask you, do you go to your grave any more unrequited than I do?

Until I saw the videos, I thought you were referring to this
Melanie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOExGVgQzRg

I think she might be a good counterpart for you, Ed.

Chalo

More truly civilized music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8vs...eature=related

Here is one of the few times when the holy spirit entered to human
souls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaCZ...eature=related

Old March 17th 11, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
[...]
I don't understand yodeling. It reminds me of that unwatchable and

weird cartoon that played when i was a child "Heide". I grew up in
Buenos Aires. Germanic European folk culture was probably something as
alien to me as when the Europeans arrived in Africa, America or East
Asia.

There is nothing difficult to understand about yodeling at all. It is simple
music, merely a style of vocalizing not all that different than Sherman's
Handelian operatic arias. German folk culture is the best in the world. If
it is alien to you, then that is because you are the alien. Is not Argentina
mainly of European descendants?

When I went to Northern Germany in the 80s and saw men wearing green

knickers, long socks and leprechaun looking shoes I thought that I was
in some episode of star trek, or, the very famous bar scene in star
wars. Melanie could have been singing in the star wars bar scene and
the alien effect would have been the same.

All kinds of folk culture simply go back a few hundred years. I am convinced
that those who are unable to appreciate folk music are also incapable of
appreciating fine art music. In fact, very many composers extensively used
folk music in their compositions.

Old March 17th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Mar 15, 5:52 pm, James wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
You never want to love anyone who can return it. Nay, only unrequited
love
is worth anything.

Here is Melanie, forever beyond my reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GTx...eature=related

Cute! Lucky I turned the sound off quickly. Almost as painful as the
Scots pipes!

JS.

European folk music is brutally alien to me.

Andre is even stupider than me when he let's himself go!