Self Sealing Inner Tube: Do They Work ?

Old April 19th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default Self Sealing Inner Tube: Do They Work ?

also, hang the tire valve up for an hour or more then pump with valve
up tube body-fiulled with eyeyehahahahahah
guess ........

its the heat ?

Old April 20th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 17, 3:16*am, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 4/11/2011 11:20 AM, Bob wrote: Hello,

Do those "self-sealing" inner tubes work ?

Some swear by them, other swear at them.

When putting on new tubes, worth going to the trouble to get them ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Do you live in an area with lots of puncture vine thorns, broken glass,
etc where you will be riding? *Otherwise, flats are not that common,
assuming that you are not using racing tires with relatively thin and
fragile casings and tread.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Hi there.

Carl Fogel has posted many links to images of Slime tubes that got him
home even though they had a puncture usually from a goathead thorn. So
yes, based on his experiences I'd say it works.

I like the idea of a self-sealing tube preventing a flat that would
inconvenience a whole group or riders on a club ride if they had to
wait for the tube to be changed or repaired.

Cheers from Peter
Old April 21st 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 17, 5:06*pm, Chalo wrote:
T[]m Sherm/\n wrote:

Bob wrote:

Do those "self-sealing" inner tubes work ?

Some swear by them, other swear at them.

When putting on new tubes, worth going to the trouble to get them ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Do you live in an area with lots of puncture vine thorns, broken glass,
etc where you will be riding? *Otherwise, flats are not that common,
assuming that you are not using racing tires with relatively thin and
fragile casings and tread.

The basic problem with Slime and its analogues is that such substances
treat an air valve as a puncture. *They also sometimes treat pump
heads as punctures. *And they make patching much more difficult,
bothersome, and unreliable. *It often surprises me how much nastiness
and annoyance people will tolerate to avoid a relatively small amount
of puncture repair, when it really isn't that big a deal. *(I don't
live in goathead country, but I do get surprised by Slime in a lot of
my customers' tires.)

If you use a puncture-resistant tire that weighs as much extra as the
amount of Slime most puncture-phobics use, you probably won't be
getting punctures anyway.

Chalo

I had problems with slime clogging the air valves. Also because its
slimy and green and get everywhere, I don't like it that much. MTBers
use Stans sealant in their tubeless tires with great success. I
decided to put a scoop of stan's in my inner tubes. I make a hole in
the tire, inject stan's and presto. It is clean, doesn't seem to clog
valves and seals very well.

Do self-sealing tubes really work? elfa Techniques 16 September 26th 09 01:25 AM
Glueless / selfadhesive tube patches don't work for beans Veggie Techniques 22 September 10th 06 03:56 PM
self-sealing road tube yk Techniques 0 October 30th 05 10:17 PM
Re-sealing Frogs M. Chandler Techniques 13 February 17th 05 02:48 AM
Self sealing inner tubes L'acrobat Australia 2 April 28th 04 04:30 AM