Maybe I should have left the old chain on

Old August 18th 16, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Maybe I should have left the old chain on

I tend to get at least 5000 miles out of my 10 spd chains. I have a wipperman connect link keep the chain clean. Take it off dunk in OMS back on every say 500-700 miles just use cheap 3-1 oil.

So today about 6400 miles on the chain took it off seems to not really be stretched all pins line up on my metal ruler. But I go ahead put a new chain on and works fine no skipping and lining the two up exact same links. Over the whole chain just small difference maybe 3/16.

Now I am kinda of mad I was think I should have left it on I probably could have gone 8000. Tell me I did the right thing going early.

Deacon mark
Old August 18th 16, 11:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Right. We agree.

Say, did nah yawl tear your penis off on a fence post ?

How'd that come off ?
Old August 18th 16, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 8:54:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I tend to get at least 5000 miles out of my 10 spd chains. I have a wipperman connect link keep the chain clean. Take it off dunk in OMS back on every say 500-700 miles just use cheap 3-1 oil.

So today about 6400 miles on the chain took it off seems to not really be stretched all pins line up on my metal ruler. But I go ahead put a new chain on and works fine no skipping and lining the two up exact same links. Over the whole chain just small difference maybe 3/16.

Now I am kinda of mad I was think I should have left it on I probably could have gone 8000. Tell me I did the right thing going early.

Deacon mark

If you change chains early enough, the cassette doesn't wear down.
10 speed Cassette US$25-40, Chain US$10-40.
Old August 18th 16, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 18/08/2016 12:11 PM, Mike A Schwab wrote:
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 8:54:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I tend to get at least 5000 miles out of my 10 spd chains. I have a wipperman connect link keep the chain clean. Take it off dunk in OMS back on every say 500-700 miles just use cheap 3-1 oil.

So today about 6400 miles on the chain took it off seems to not really be stretched all pins line up on my metal ruler. But I go ahead put a new chain on and works fine no skipping and lining the two up exact same links. Over the whole chain just small difference maybe 3/16.

Now I am kinda of mad I was think I should have left it on I probably could have gone 8000. Tell me I did the right thing going early.

Deacon mark

If you change chains early enough, the cassette doesn't wear down.
10 speed Cassette US$25-40, Chain US$10-40.

Yes, but if the chain isn't stretched?

I just had to replace a cassette because I was watching the chain wear
and it was good. After about 6000km I started to have some problems
shifting. A couple of the cogs in my cassette were worn. But the chain
still tested fine. This is a SRAM 11 speed with stock chain and
cassette. I changed the chain as well. I tested the chain with a ruler
and with one of those chain tools that showed it at .7.

But like I said, if the chain doesn't seem to be stretched, was that
what caused the cassette to wear? And if so, how do you determine
whether to replace the chain?

Old August 18th 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Change both reduce risks
Old August 19th 16, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

wrote:
[...]

Until now I have replaced the chain on principle every year and a half
or so. However, I recently bought a Park Tool "chain checker" to make it
easier to see when the chain is worn, so maybe the interval will change.
I would replace the chain when the chain checker is at "replace soon"
rather than "replace now".

The cassette will in any event eventually wear out. I change the
cassette (or chainwheel) when I notice that a new chain isn't engaging
properly. Typically after about 3 changes of chain.

Ned
Old August 19th 16, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:
[...]

Amazon seems to be selling Shimano HG53 9-speed chains for $16.
Divided by a year and a half, or 547 days that is an amortized cost of
about $0.03 a day :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 19th 16, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I have the Park Tool as well. I usually replace the chain when it says
replace soon also. This was the first time that I went through a cassette
before a chain. First time with a SRAM set up though. Bike is about a
year old.

--
duane