New B&M 100lux headlight.

Old December 19th 17, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 12:07:38 PM UTC-8, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 11:49:51 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 11:00:13 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/18/2017 10:10 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 00:03:40 -0800, sms
wrote:

As an aside, related to "dark bicycle infrastructure," I inquired from
our traffic engineer as to whether or not a new planned path would have
lighting, and he said, "probably not" since it will be on Santa Clara
County Water District land and they don't want lighting in riparian
areas, even though in this case it's not a creek, just a drainage ditch.
I'd like to see lighting as it will end up being a heavily used
multi-use trail if it is ever built, including night and early morning.

No problem. Just issue flashlights and bicycle lights at the
beginning of the trail, and have riders deposit them in a bin at the
other end. The total cost of such lights would probably be less than
the cost of the environmental impact study needed to build anything in
a riparian corridor. If economics don't work out to the council's
liking, then invent the flashlight and bicycle light vending machine.

The "thing" is that unlike an MUP along a creek, which really is a
riparian area, this drainage ditch is not. The MUP would run on the
south side of the 280 sound wall from the Mary Avenue Bicycle Bridge,
past Apple's Infinite Loop campus, and continue to Apple's new Apple
Park campus.

I can't imagine it being pleasant to ride right next to the freeway, but
it is what it is.

Pfff. Next to the highway? Try riding down the middle at rush hour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5TYlJ7xD50 This is how we handle our riparian areas.

-- Jay Beattie.

We could use such forward thinking traffic engineers out here.
Some towns have crosswalks with a bucket of flags on either side for crossing pedestrians to hold up to traffic. Maybe downtown Willow Glen on Lincoln?

It helps to have a big river with a bridge over it. https://tinyurl.com/ybx4ks9v Not going to get that in Willow Glen.

The Glen Jackson Bridge was built in 1982, so it was forward thinking. It's a pedestrian and bicycle facility, but its a long walk from one end to other. I've never seen anyone walking. I like the end of the bridge where you drop down a hole: https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/..._fwyentry1.jpg And not to assume that every bicycle facility is entirely safe: https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...04/205car1.jpg
Dopes are everywhere.

It's a popular way out to the Washington side of the Gorge, which is a great place to ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxRTqMT3z0 In the winter, it's a great place to ride if you're riding west. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj_r2knnAj8 Riding east

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 19th 17, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Relatively benign stuff. Don't you have muggers on your bike
paths out there?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 19th 17, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I got punched by a meth-head on that same bike path further south. My riding companion advised be to keep riding. Welcome to Calcutta. https://tinyurl..com/y6vpbwak

Back to lights! I didn't crash tonight and feel so good about it. It's like getting something for free. I was riding down a really steep potholed road, running my Urban 800 on "medium" on wet pavement when a I see a moon-crater sized pot hole with sharp edges emerge out of the gloom. It was too late to stop, and I was all ready to go cartwheeling over the bars -- when I didn't. There wasn't enough time to bunny hop, but I did get my weight back and just slammed my front wheel into the front edge of the hole (haven't checked the rim). My light wasn't on full output because I was at the end of the charge and wanted to get home. The reserve tank red light was on. I could use a flood light coming down that road. Not having to charge a light is a big deal which gives dynos a high value, but the output is so low for wet pavement, so an Oculus appears to be my only option!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 20th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thx Jay, your experience describes what "pothole spotter" means about the single LED lights. One goal in the Oculus design is to light the road long and wide like a high performance car headlight, with better short range visibility wider than most car headlights give. Lmk, I'll include the phone charger/Car USB adapter and give free shipping.

The last headlight you will ever need somebody[_2_] Techniques 115 April 28th 14 02:12 AM
Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 08:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM