Older Bianchi Road Bikes

Old January 31st 04, 11:43 PM
Ron Linz

Default Older Bianchi Road Bikes

I am wondering how the older Bianchi road bikes (1998) compare to the
newer models. Are the frames and components comparable to what you
can buy now? I have the chance to buy a 1998 Bianchi Velope double
crank with low miles and wonder if it would be a worthwhile
investment. I would be using it for club rides and fitness.
Old February 1st 04, 01:58 AM
Eric S. Sande

I am wondering how the older Bianchi road bikes (1998) compare to the
newer models. Are the frames and components comparable to what you
can buy now? I have the chance to buy a 1998 Bianchi Velope double
crank with low miles and wonder if it would be a worthwhile
investment. I would be using it for club rides and fitness.

It's probably fine. The Veloce (I think you meant) has always been
a good value in an entry level road bike with Campagnolo components
and Bianchi quality.

If you can stand the color, a 1998 is probably a good deal at US $300
or so, but it depends on condition.

In terms of how does it compare to current road bikes, it's very
similar. If it's in your size, I'd say it isn't a bad investment
if you're shelling out $300 or so. I'd remind you that the new ones
cost about a grand. You may have to replace chain and cassette
but that and the brakes are trivial.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 1st 04, 02:08 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:43:28 -0600, Ron Linz
wrote:

I am wondering how the older Bianchi road bikes (1998) compare to the
newer models. Are the frames and components comparable to what you
can buy now? I have the chance to buy a 1998 Bianchi Velope double
crank with low miles and wonder if it would be a worthwhile
investment. I would be using it for club rides and fitness.

Velope? Never heard of it. Volpe is a cyclocross-style bike that is
still made. Bianchi also makes a Veloce, but I do not know when they
started that model; maybe someone else will know if there is a 1988
Veloce. The Volpe I had came with a triple crank, but some cross bikes
are set up with doubles.

I have had two Bianchis from the mid/late 80s- a Brava and a Volpe.
Both on the lower end of the product line, but both very nice bikes in
their ways.

One thing to watch for is having to replace/upgrade parts. This can
get to be expensive. Unless you really know how to judge these things,
plan on having to replace the chainwheels, chain, and cassette, and
probably the brake pads, cables, and housing. Oh, bottom bracket, hub
bearings and probably a cone or two or three. The headset....
Tires... how are the rims?

If the parts are low miles and have been maintained, and the price is
good- you would get a perfectly fine bike. If it is a Volpe, the one I
had was on the heavy side.

Component-wise, today's bikes are probably better. And finding parts
will be much easier. Getting 6 or 7 speed parts is becoming harder and
harder. You will probably be better off throwing out the existing
system and upgrading to a present 9 or 10 when the existing parts wear
out.

If you can be certain that the bike is in good shape and won't need a
lot of money, you can get some very nice bikes from that time,
including Bianchis. As a labor of love, it can be fun to rebuild such
bikes. I've done four of them in the last five years- two Bianchis, a
Nishiki, and a Falcon- and enjoyed it. Financially, all of them were
stupid wastes. Aesthetically and personally, no regrets.

But hey- the real thing that matters is how the bike fits you and how
you like the ride. My $50 garage sale Falcon with the 531 tubing is
out for alignment, fender and rack braze-ons, and new paint and I
can't wait to get it back on the road. Anything less than a great ride
on the 'Velope,' I'd say don't do it.
Old February 1st 04, 02:49 AM
Ron Linz

"Eric S. Sande" wrote in
:

[...]

I meant Veloce. The price is $500 but maybe I could get it for
less.
Old February 1st 04, 03:27 AM
Eric S. Sande

I meant Veloce. The price is $500 but maybe I could get it for less.

If it's perfect $500 is still high. This is a stock entry level
road bike that is, well, 5 years old. I'd go $350 on it but I
wouldn't pay over $400 without a complete tune up job.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 1st 04, 03:54 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:08:17 -0800, Dan Daniel

Hmmmm.... guess I better get the classes checked and stop talking
about 1980s' bikes when someone asks about a 1998 bike. My mistake.
Old February 1st 04, 04:13 AM
David Reuteler

Dan Daniel wrote:
: Hmmmm.... guess I better get the classes checked and stop talking
: about 1980s' bikes when someone asks about a 1998 bike. My mistake.

personally, i'm more than a little creeped out by his definition of older.
--
david reuteler

Old February 1st 04, 04:54 AM
Eric S. Sande

personally, i'm more than a little creeped out by his definition
of older.

It isn't anything you don't have to deal with, David.

One minute it's reading glasses and the next it's colostomy bags,
what a ****ty way to go.

Luckily we're still riding, I hope, with our balls up and the
rubber side down, etc.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 1st 04, 05:11 AM
David Reuteler

Eric S. Sande wrote:
: One minute it's reading glasses and the next it's colostomy bags,
: what a ****ty way to go.

please, eric. don't sugercoat it. tell me what it's really like.
--
david reuteler

Old February 1st 04, 07:52 AM
Zoot Katz

01 Feb 2004 05:11:22 GMT,
, David Reuteler
wrote:

Eric S. Sande wrote:
: One minute it's reading glasses and the next it's colostomy bags,
: what a ****ty way to go.

please, eric. don't sugercoat it. tell me what it's really like.

Nobody around to empty the bag for you.
--
zk