Gt idrive eccentric maintenance

Old March 15th 07, 12:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Gt idrive eccentric maintenance

Hello to all,

It's been three year that I have my GT idrive, I want to do some
maintenance on the eccentric.

Do I need a special tool for removing or putting back together the
eccentric?

If someone has experiences on this please let me know anything that I
need to know.

Thank you

Old March 17th 07, 03:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Hi thanks for your answer, and yes it's for the old eccentric.

I have downloaded the manual from gt site and according to them you
will need 10 tools.
There's two special tools is the drive and non-drive side eccentric
bearing tool.

here's the link to the manual.
http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads...lyquickref.pdf

So you use just a pin spanner to replace the special tool from GT? the
pin spanner is for removing and putting back the eccentric?

a pin spanner is the tool from this link?
http://www.bikeworld.com/products/25...-Spanner..html

Do you have more information on that?

do you have a more detail procedure?

is it that easy?

My LBS wouldn't do it, because they don't sell GT.

Slack a écrit :
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:47:41 -0700,
wrote:

Hello to all,

It's been three year that I have my GT idrive, I want to do some
maintenance on the eccentric.

Do I need a special tool for removing or putting back together the
eccentric?

If someone has experiences on this please let me know anything that I
need to know.

Thank you

Are you asking about the older style i-drive? If so, then the only
special tool you'll need is a pin spanner to screw the eccentric retainer
ring on. It a very easy job. Just make su

1. Use high quality marine type grease on the bearings
2. Don't over grease it - the eccentric will not fully screw back
together. Cover/pack the bearings well and a thin coat on the races...
reassemble
--
Slack

Old March 17th 07, 06:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

http://www.bikeworld.com/products/25...n-Spanner.html

#1 please do not top post; reply at the bottom of each message. It makes
the thread much more readable.

ok, I'll have some more info later today and possibly some pictures
because I'm trying to teardown my i-drive now so I can sell it. But I have
to run some errands this morning.

Here's some info - I'll elaborate more later, so hang loose. Out of those
special GT tools, only number 8 is essential, but you have to replace the
main pivot you might be up the creak... without a paddle. You were asking
about the eccentric [only], correct?

-------Short ghetto tool list--------
**Drift - to knock out, carefully, the races
**Block of wood and mallet, or preferred method large vise: to press the
new races in.
**Adjustable Pin spanner (something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Adjustabl.../dp/B000AO5MCM ):
to unscrew the eccentric cam.
**Standard bottom bracket removal tools.
**Sockets, ratchet w/short extender
**Some good assembly (anti-seize) and marine grease.
--
Slack
Old March 17th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads...VEassemblyquic...

http://www.bikeworld.com/products/25...PA-1-2-4-Pin-S...

#1 please do not top post; reply at the bottom of each message. It makes

**Adjustable Pin spanner (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Adjustabl...p/B000AO5MCM):
to unscrew the eccentric cam.
**Standard bottom bracket removal tools.
**Sockets, ratchet w/short extender
**Some good assembly (anti-seize) and marine grease.
--
Slack

Yes I'm want to clean the eccentric only. Thank you a lot for your
informations.

If you're able to join pictures with more explanation that will be
great.

Am I posting at the bottom now?

#1 please do not top post; reply at the bottom of each message. It makes
[...]

Sorry another question.

What do you mean races? do you mean the whole mecanism of eccentric?

#1 please do not top post; reply at the bottom of each message. It
makes
[...]

No, I'm referring to the two cups (tech. name bearing race) that are press
fit into the frame. The are hidden right now, but after you unscrew the
Eccentric, they will be visible. Here, download this diagram
http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads..._partslist.pdf
It's the 3 inch version of the i-drive we have, but the names of the parts
are the same.

Btw, thanks for bottom posting.

Are you a brand new to doing your own bike maintenance? Did you purchase a
used i-drive? Also, what part of planet are you residing in? I'm in Los
Angeles.
--
Slack

#1 please do not top post; reply at the bottom of each message. It
makes

Eccentric, they will be visible. Here, download this diagram http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads...VE_raceedition...
It's the 3 inch version of the i-drive we have, but the names of the parts
are the same.

Btw, thanks for bottom posting.

Are you a brand new to doing your own bike maintenance? Did you purchase a
used i-drive? Also, what part of planet are you residing in? I'm in Los
Angeles.
--
Slack

Hi Slack,

Usually I do simple maintenance on my bike, like brakes, ajusting
derailler, cleaning hub wheel and that almost all. So I'm a kinna
newbie. But now I want to do all the maintenance on my bike, because
in part hard for me to find a LBS that knows GT idrive. But mostly I
don't trust LBS, I believe I will do a better job than them, simply
because I will take the time needed to do the job. That's not always
the case with them. I try to google around for more info, but didn't
find a lot about idrive maintenance. That's why I've posted.

I bought my bike through Ebay. I got a GT idrive 2003 in 2005. So I
guess it's been four year that the idrive hasn't been pamper.

I'm in laval, a city next Montreal, Quebec Canada. If you know
baseball, Montreal and Los angeles a related back in the 60. There
were a team here called The Royal, a franchise of Dodgers I think.
Also if you watch Hockey, there were a player that play for the Kings
of Los Angeles in the 80's that's born here in montreal, Marcel Dion.
We speak french here.

Again many thanks for the help.

#1 please do not top post; reply at the bottom of each message. It
makes
[...]

Hey, no problem. I hear ya about the LBS situation... went thru that
nightmare back when I purchased my i-drive in 2000/01.

Here are the disassembly instructions in English
http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads...ls/19.50.r.pdf
And a pictorial on pg 37
http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads...ls/19.50.r.pdf Unfortunately,
that manual locks like it's in German(?) I looked for an English or
French one for you, but no luck.

Also, if you run into a jam and need parts, although I believe Pacific
(GT's parent company) has been taking care of people, you can order all
the parts you'll ever need thru
https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=102

Just keep in mind when reassembling everything, that whole i-drive
assembly is really just a large headset. So, you want to tighten it with
the same technique -- loose enough so that it freely rotates, but tighten
enough so that there isn't any play. Once you give it a good cleaning/lube
job, it should be pretty much much maintenance free for awhile.
--
Slack

Eccentric, Moi? [email protected] UK 25 December 4th 05 06:31 PM
Eccentric BB and a singlespeed casurina99 Australia 3 September 27th 04 11:25 PM
Eccentric BB and a singlespeed casurina99 Australia 2 September 27th 04 05:37 AM
Ping Slacker - Idrive tech stuff. Andy Chequer Mountain Biking 3 June 8th 04 01:26 PM
Fixedgear Eccentric Hub? Tom Nakashima Techniques 2 December 3rd 03 03:56 PM