Curiouser and Curiouser

Old August 20th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

Default Curiouser and Curiouser

In article
,
"Paul G." wrote:

On Aug 20, 11:42Â*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:48:40 +0200, Donald Munro
wrote:

KG wrote:
Getting livid is not a good way to prepare. They probably tried to
ignore it.

LANCE used to race better when livid.

Isn't livid a color; like purple? Or ochre?

We need a woman to consult on this. Susan?

Or not.
1. Black and blue, as a bruise.
2. Grayish blue; lead colored.

In this context it means white with anger:

2 : ashen, pallid this cross, thy livid face, thy pierced hands and
feet — Walt Whitman
4 : very angry : enraged was livid at his son's disobedience

What is the source?

Your (4) does not support the white meaning;
neither does the Whitman quotation.

People get pale with fear, purple with anger.

--
Michael Press
Old August 20th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:07:07 -0700, Michael Press
wrote:

In article
,
"Paul G." wrote:

On Aug 20, 11:42*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

KG wrote:
Getting livid is not a good way to prepare. They probably tried to
ignore it.

LANCE used to race better when livid.

Isn't livid a color; like purple? Or ochre?

We need a woman to consult on this. Susan?

Or not.
1. Black and blue, as a bruise.
2. Grayish blue; lead colored.

In this context it means white with anger:

2 : ashen, pallid this cross, thy livid face, thy pierced hands and
feet — Walt Whitman
4 : very angry : enraged was livid at his son's disobedience

What is the source?

Your (4) does not support the white meaning;
neither does the Whitman quotation.

People get pale with fear, purple with anger.

Consider - when the 'fight or flight' response kicks in, the blood
rushes from the extremities to the internal organs. (cite avail.).

So, in both fear (flight) and anger (fight) there could be a similar
reaction. Certainly people do experience that hot flush when something
really gets to you, and this does happen in anger. But then, going by
physiology, it has the potential to rush away from the extremities.

FWIW.
Old August 21st 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Aug 19, 5:15*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

So, you're saying you think because he interviews well and comes
across as intelligent, he's smart enough to handle everything that
being a DS entails?

I see, your position is that he is stupid and incapable of directing a team.
Sort of like other really dumb riders like Paul Koechli, Cyrille Guimard or
Slava Ekimov.

I didn't espouse a position, I merely asked as to how you arrived at
your's. I don't know if he's stupid or not.

Having said that, I will say that while he may be capable of being a
DS, I have not concluded that he's capable of being a DS based on his
interviewing presence. FWIW, I'm not necessarily convinced that a DS
has to be all that smart. ;-)
Old August 21st 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Tuschinski wrote:

In article ,

"Scott" wrote in message

So, you're saying you think because he interviews well and comes
across as intelligent, he's smart enough to handle everything that
being a DS entails?

I see, your position is that he is stupid and incapable of directing a team.
Sort of like other really dumb riders like Paul Koechli, Cyrille Guimard
or Slava Ekimov.

* *If Vino had demonstrated the tactical acumen of those guys you might
have a point. He hasn't.

That fool did seem to have enough class to win a GT. Not saying that
that is rocket science, but winners are seldom completely idiots...

Vino may have had the strength to win a GT but he kind of screwed himself out of
it by his poor tactics (i.e. random attacks at unproductive times, followed by a
spectacularly bad day where he lost a bunch of time). The '06 Vuelta was one time
when he managed to tone that stuff down long enough to pull it off.

And about being famous just because he doped... come on... He was and
is the epitome of ATTACK, wich made him incredible popular. Denying
that is ridiculous... then again facts *shrug* who needs them?

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure why you're addressing that in this repy - I hadn't said
that he was famous because he got caught doping. I agree with you that his attacking
style made him popular with the fans. Don't get me wrong - I think Vino is a strong
rider but based on the way he rode through the majority of his career, I don't see
him as DS material.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 21st 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message

So, you're saying you think because he interviews well and comes
across as intelligent, he's smart enough to handle everything that
being a DS entails?

I see, your position is that he is stupid and incapable of directing a
team.
Sort of like other really dumb riders like Paul Koechli, Cyrille Guimard
or
Slava Ekimov.

I didn't espouse a position, I merely asked as to how you arrived at
your's. I don't know if he's stupid or not.

Having said that, I will say that while he may be capable of being a
DS, I have not concluded that he's capable of being a DS based on his
interviewing presence. FWIW, I'm not necessarily convinced that a DS
has to be all that smart. ;-)

You say that you don't think that it takes a lot of intelligence to be a DS
but question Vino's ability. My position is that although there are several
great DS's, most of them including many of the winning team's DS's are no
smarter than Vino judging from their interviews, their records and the
team's record.

You seem like you aren't even willing to give the man a chance. That bothers
me.

Old August 21st 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Aug 20, 2:07Â*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

KG wrote:
Getting livid is not a good way to prepare. They probably tried to
ignore it.

LANCE used to race better when livid.

Isn't livid a color; like purple? Or ochre?

We need a woman to consult on this. Susan?

Or not.
1. Black and blue, as a bruise.
2. Grayish blue; lead colored.

In this context it means white with anger:

2 : ashen, pallid this cross, thy livid face, thy pierced hands and
feet — Walt Whitman
4 : very angry : enraged was livid at his son's disobedience

What is the source?

Your (4) does not support the white meaning;
neither does the Whitman quotation.

People get pale with fear, purple with anger.

--
Michael Press

Maybe you're right. I just googled the term. I always thought it
meant white, but checking again it can mean pale, red, or blue.
Sheesh. That doesn't leave out much.

1. having a discolored, bluish appearance caused by a bruise,
congestion of blood vessels, strangulation, etc., as the face, flesh,
hands, or nails.
2. dull blue; dark, grayish-blue.
3. enraged; furiously angry: Willful stupidity makes me absolutely
livid.
4. feeling or appearing strangulated because of strong emotion.
5. reddish or flushed.
6. deathly pale; pallid; ashen: Fear turned his cheeks livid for a
moment.
Origin:
1615–25; L līvidus black and blue, equiv. to līv(ēre) to be livid
(akin to Welsh lliw color) + -idus -id 4

-Paul
Old August 21st 09, 10:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Michael Press wrote:
People get pale with fear, purple with anger.

So what colour do they get when they're horny ?
Old August 21st 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Tom,

First, I haven't taken a position on Vino's intelligence or his
potential as a DS. I merely asked as to how you arrived at your
position.

As for the relative smarts required to be a DS, I would've thought the
smiley face would've tipped you off about the fact that I was joking
when I said they may not need to be all that smart.

It's not really a case of me being willing to give Vino a chance.
Other than a mild interest in how you arrived at your conclusions, I
really haven't given Vino himself any thought whatsoever. He's just
another guy who rides his bike over there. I don't care one way or
the other about him.
Old August 21st 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Donald Munro wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
People get pale with fear, purple with anger.

So what colour do they get when they're horny ?

Whatever's available.

--
Bill Asher
Old August 21st 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
People get pale with fear, purple with anger.

So what colour do they get when they're horny ?

Blew.

--
Michael Press