Loose Brake Strap on Handlebars

Old October 30th 05, 10:37 PM
John

Default Loose Brake Strap on Handlebars

Over the weekend I picked up an old 10 speed Schwinn World road
bike at a yard sale for $1.00. That's 1 dollar as in 4 quarters. It's
in pretty good shape. Hardly any rust. It's got the old sidepull double
pivot caliper brakes, friction shifters mounted on the stem, Suntour
rear derailleur, tires were a little crusty and it's got a quick
release hub in the front.
The only problem I'm have is with the left dual brake lever
mounted on the drop handlebars. The strap is loose and I can't figure
how to tighten it. Do you have to take the brake levers apart? There's
only one bolt holding the levers on but I don't see how that has
anything to do with the strap that holds the brake to the handlebars.

Thanks
John

Old October 31st 05, 12:18 AM
Jasper Janssen

On 30 Oct 2005 14:37:17 -0800, "John" wrote:

The only problem I'm have is with the left dual brake lever
mounted on the drop handlebars. The strap is loose and I can't figure
how to tighten it. Do you have to take the brake levers apart? There's
only one bolt holding the levers on but I don't see how that has
anything to do with the strap that holds the brake to the handlebars.

You usually have to remove the cable at the very least.

Jasper

Old October 31st 05, 01:42 AM
John

wrote:
Squeeze the brake and look inside the gap. There should be a screw
head that takes a slotted screw-driver.

That's it, thanks

John