Could this be the furture of bicycles, or just a sick joke?

Old October 30th 05, 03:20 PM
ReptilesBlade

Default Could this be the furture of bicycles, or just a sick joke?

www.landrider.com

An automatic bicycle? According to the infomercial old people love it. What
In The Hell...

I was just randomly flipping through the channels and landed on the one for
this thing.

Wait check this out.

http://www.healthandbeautydirect.com...landrider.html

LandRider is a quality bicycle that regularly sells for $499.80. Through
our special TV offer, you'll receive a $100 rebate direct from the
manufacturer when you place your order! And, if you place your order now,
you'll also receive a $100 component upgrade -- absolutely FREE! You'll
receive the revolutionary new LandRider for just $399.80!

The upgrade includes the following high performance components:
- Fully adjustable alloy handlebars
- Shimano front derailleur
- Alloy pedal crank arms
- Alloy suspension seat

Ahahahahahahahahahaha*gasp*hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh man look at all of those *special features*. Since when is an adjustable
handlebar a "Performance Component"? My $100 Avalon has that, and so do the
$50 Roadmasters for that mater.

Discus.

--
---
END OF LINE.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 30th 05, 04:03 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Discus.

http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=u...er&qt_s=Search

There's been lots of discussion already. Browse through the archives.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 30th 05, 07:17 PM
jbuch

ReptilesBlade wrote:
[...]

I saw this TV ad several years ago.

The web site has a 2003 copyright notice on it, so it too is aged a bit.

I thought there was an FTC action taken on this item.... but maybe I ma
mistaken.

Old. At least 2 years old.

--
1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book
Old October 30th 05, 08:43 PM
E Willson

Like the creamic balls discussed in another thread, this is a solution
for a nonexistant problem. IMHO it is for people with more money than
brains.

HTH,
EJ in NJ

Old October 30th 05, 09:47 PM
Victor Kan

E Willson wrote:
Like the creamic balls discussed in another thread, this is a solution
for a nonexistant problem.

Maybe, maybe not. Haven't we all seen cyclists suffering up a hill in
the smallest rear cog on their multi-speed bikes?

I'm convinced that a lot of cyclists just don't understand what gears
are good for. I suppose that educating them would be much cheaper than
putting an automatic transmission on their bike, but not necessarily
easier (assuming these autoshift things work reliably).

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old October 30th 05, 09:56 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Victor Kan wrote:
E Willson wrote:
Like the creamic balls discussed in another thread, this is a
solution for a nonexistant problem.

Maybe, maybe not. Haven't we all seen cyclists suffering up a hill in
the smallest rear cog on their multi-speed bikes?

I'm convinced that a lot of cyclists just don't understand what gears
are good for. I suppose that educating them would be much cheaper
than putting an automatic transmission on their bike, but not
necessarily easier (assuming these autoshift things work reliably).

The shifting profile is meant for easy cruising, and this system would
prevent a rider from sprinting due to the uncertainty of shift timing.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 31st 05, 12:39 AM

Just another product marketed to our senior population. It fits in with
other fine products like :

Major League Base Ball
Cadillac (or any GM product)
Bose
The states of Florida & Arizona
Golf

I just hope i die before my mind gives way to that crap.

Old October 31st 05, 04:19 AM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:20:23 -0600, ReptilesBlade
wrote:

www.landrider.com

An automatic bicycle? According to the infomercial old people love it. What
In The Hell...

Just the most recent in a long series; the immediate predecessor was
the Autobike, with a centrifugally-operated der on the rear and just a
freewheeling front single setup. This one adds a double in the front,
but that's not much of a change. They conveniently neglect to mention
explicitly that this setup is only semi-auto as a result. As for old
people liking it, that's a gross exaggeration IMO; the thing forces a
fairly fast cadence, and oldsters have a tendency to be mashers by
nature. The way these auto-shift setups generally work, you never get
out of first gear if you don't get up to at least 60rpm, though they
may have calibrated this one for a lower cadence when running on the
big ring. Even so, I suspect that any success in selling the unit to
the geriatrically disenhanced will owe its success to the loss of
sales resistance that some people develop as a result of age-related
metal deterioration. (I know of one local assisted-living facility
that quietly had their cable provider block all of the shopping
channels a while back due to this problem.)

I was just randomly flipping through the channels and landed on the one for
this thing.

Wait check this out.

http://www.healthandbeautydirect.com...landrider.html

The domain name itself is a Big Clue. Can you say "endless
infomercial"?

"LandRider is a quality bicycle that regularly sells for $499.80. Through
our special TV offer, you'll receive a $100 rebate direct from the
manufacturer when you place your order! And, if you place your order now,
you'll also receive a $100 component upgrade -- absolutely FREE! You'll
receive the revolutionary new LandRider for just $399.80!"

At this point, I believe the Lovely Assistant is cued to say "Wow!
What an incredible bargain!"

The upgrade includes the following high performance components:
- Fully adjustable alloy handlebars
- Shimano front derailleur
- Alloy pedal crank arms
- Alloy suspension seat

Zowie.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha*gasp*hahahahahahahahahahaha .

I think you ran out of lung again before you were finished cracking up
there. It's okay, really, this *was* a belly-laugher, after all.

Oh man look at all of those *special features*. Since when is an adjustable
handlebar a "Performance Component"? My $100 Avalon has that, and so do the
$50 Roadmasters for that mater.

I'm shocked and astounded that they didn't make a feature out of the
"high-efficiency chain drive", and that they didn't call the optional
water bottle and clip a "hydration container with quick-access
holder".

Ghods, I hate admen.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.