pedalling circles.

Old August 20th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
someone

Default pedalling circles.

look how you will end up if you dont pedal in circles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/philstil.../2/BTFdHiEWbEM
Old August 20th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
someone wrote:

look how you will end up if you dont pedal in circles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/philstil.../2/BTFdHiEWbEM

Dunno about the technique, but I bet the leash is giving Bruyneel ideas.

Old August 20th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:12:32 -0700 (PDT), someone
wrote:

look how you will end up if you dont pedal in circles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/philstil.../2/BTFdHiEWbEM

At least he/she is being paid according to contract. This only makes
the Astana guys jealous.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 21st 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Keats

In article ,
someone writes:
look how you will end up if you dont pedal in circles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/philstil.../2/BTFdHiEWbEM

How does one not pedal in circles? :-)

BioPace[tm] notwithstanding.

I guess the ancient lore of "ankling" still remains.

'tell ya what: I'm even long since fed up with being
preoccupied with cadence. I just twirl the cranks
in such a way so as to put a nice, even load on the
drivetrain at a comfortable speed, and get a sort
of smooth flywheel effect going.

One doesn't need quantative numbers on a computer
display to achieve that; it's all about feel.

When riding during a quiet night with a bottle
generator on, the buzz of the generator feeds-back
the smoothness of your pedal strokes. When you
hear: "tzzt--tzzt--tzzt" instead of a steady hum,
your pedaling motion isn't very smooth.

As for pedaling circles, it's far easier and more
natural to unweight the upgoing backstroke foot,
than it is to pull-up on the backstroke while
unweighting the pushing-down foot on the frontstroke.
Beginning riders' bodies learn this early, and they
get over those initial after-ride "spaghetti legs"
as their riding muscles learn to cooperate with,
rather than fight against each other.

That said, I guess it doesn't hurt to practice
one-legged pedaling every once-in-awhile, if only
just to show off.

Well, actually I think one-legged pedaling exercises
/do/ help to smooth one's pedaling motion.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old August 24th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Tom Keats wrote:
In article
,

I guess the ancient lore of "ankling" still remains.

This last Saturday I rode around Lake Tahoe again. I left Harrahs in South
Lake Tahoe and rode in the big ring to Emerald Bay climb. I went up that in
the small ring to the parking lot above Emerald Bay. From there I went into
the big ring and pedaled the rest of the 55 or so miles around Tahoe and up
Spooner grade and then back down Highway 50 and back into South Lake Tahoe.

I was with some people who were very slow so I was pedaling extremely slowly
for a large part of the Spooner Grade climb. Yet I never had any problems at
top or bottom centers like I used to have. So I suppose I must be pedaling
circles in order to get through the dead spots. But I couldn't tell I was
doing that. It felt to me as if I was just pedaling normally.

Old August 24th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

I guess the ancient lore of "ankling" still remains.

I was with some people who were very slow so I was pedaling
extremely slowly for a large part of the Spooner Grade climb. Yet I
never had any problems at top or bottom centers like I used to have.
So I suppose I must be pedaling circles in order to get through the
dead spots. But I couldn't tell I was doing that. It felt to me as
if I was just pedaling normally.

I think this must be the first time you observed what was occurring.
Next time you doubt, just coast for about three feet and continue to
pedal with forceful down force. I don't know what dear (cadence) you
rode but there is only a small dead zone at the top of the stroke that
essentially is coasting for about a foot or two before the downward
stroke begins and if also pulling up, the upstroke begins. It does
not require pushing forward over the top or pulling back on the bottom
of the stroke.

Pedaling effectiveness is limited by how much power is delivered to
the pedals per revolution rather than how many muscle groups are
involved. Therefore, all the artificial non-vertical forces don't
create any additional propulsion except in an anaerobic manner as in a
sprint.

While I understand what you're saying, I was in a 50-19 much of the time
even at 4-5 mph and up the steepest part of the climb up Spooner Grade.
Granted that the climb isn't very steep and that near the top I got tired of
shadowing the slower people and when they were all together I rode to the
top in the same gear at about 10 mph for perhaps a half mile.

The point was that even at that slowest speed I didn't detect any dead spot
sagging.

I think you're trying to say that the spot is so short that decent riders
don't normally feel it. Perhaps you're correct. In any case, I do pedal
circles quite a bit when the road gets really steep and I'm undergeared.
Before I used to have to concentrate on doing that but anymore I don't pay a
lot of attention to it and simply do it more or less automatically.

Old August 24th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Dan O

On Aug 23, 7:16 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article
,

I guess the ancient lore of "ankling" still remains.

This last Saturday I rode around Lake Tahoe again. I left Harrahs in South
Lake Tahoe and rode in the big ring to Emerald Bay climb. I went up that in
the small ring to the parking lot above Emerald Bay. From there I went into
the big ring and pedaled the rest of the 55 or so miles around Tahoe and up
Spooner grade and then back down Highway 50 and back into South Lake Tahoe.

I was with some people who were very slow so I was pedaling extremely slowly
for a large part of the Spooner Grade climb. Yet I never had any problems at
top or bottom centers like I used to have. So I suppose I must be pedaling
circles in order to get through the dead spots. But I couldn't tell I was
doing that. It felt to me as if I was just pedaling normally.

You had your mojo workin'
Old August 24th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
someone

On 24 Aug, 03:41, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:
[...]

Wrong, effectiveness is determined by the ability to maintain crank
torque. This involves all the leg muscles, else the torque will
fluctuate dramatically reducing efficiency and the rider has to
accelerate twice for each crank rotation thereby using up more energy
than with a constant torque. Along with supporting the body, this is
what makes cycling more efficient than walking or running. Constant
velocity is most economical. It is also important not only to keep
the torque through the pedal cycle steady but not to waste energy by
unecessarily activating muscles will not contribute to perpendicular
driving force of the crank end. Lifting the rearmost leg is superior
to pressing down on the foremost because muscles work more efficiently
at lower loads.