Scanuppia

Old June 12th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

Default Scanuppia

Scanuppia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAMXp0r1XhY

Beats anything I ever saw. Reminds me of Hites Cove, but this is paved and
it's much longer. So Climb by bike rates Scanuppia as the hardest. I can see
why, crap!

1. Scanuppia-Malga Palazzo
2. Alp Rionda
3. Grosser Speikkogel
4. Pico-de-Veleta
5. Mt-Haleakala
6. Mount Washington
7. San Genesio - Edelweiss
8. Grosser Oscheniksee
9. Pico Ariero
10. Alpe Fuori
11. Kitzbüheler Horn
12. Edelweiss
13. Nebelhorn
14. Prato Maslino
15. Colle-delle-Finestre
16. Prada-Alta
17. Oetztaler-Gletscherstrasse
18. Roque de los Muchachos
19. Rifugio-Kaltenbach
20. Pic-du-Midi

Old June 12th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
dave a

On 6/11/2010 4:32 PM, GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
[...]

Well, I've never heard of Scanuppia, but I've ridden Mt. Haleakala twice
(#5), and, while long, the pitch isn't really that bad. Oh, it's a
grind, but if that's number 5, it makes me wonder about the rest.

- dave a

Old June 12th 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"dave a" wrote in message
[...]

Haleakala is not at all difficult, just long. And made even longer if
you take the wrong turn I did and add another 1800ft of climbing and 7
or so miles (make sure you turn right at the cowboy ranch). I would
consider Sonora Pass to be considerably more difficult. Like you, this
makes me wonder about the rest on the list. And no Stelvio?

But looking at that youtube video, the Scanuppia does seem to be in a
category to itself.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 12th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"dave a" wrote in message
[...]

Even the last one in that list is as high as the Stelvio. It's also a
national heritige site. The road must be a real pain. Stelvio is well known,
but the climb is not that much really when you start to consider the biggest
climbs which might make the list, and as you might suspect, some are
probably not well known. Stelvio from the Bormio side climbs only about 5000
feet to the top, although it's more from the Prato side. El Portal to either
Glacier Point or to the store at the Tioga turnoff does that much, as I have
done it many times. Longer to Glacier Point though. I see Mt. Washington
made the list! Mount Evans probably didn't make the list cause it's too
gradual. I not sure what his criteria is. I watched that whole video, you
can see the helmet cam in the shadow at times. The Scanuppia is the hardest
longest paved section I have ever seen, either in real life here, or on the
Internet. However, I am sure there are fire roads up here that probably do
the same, but for a paved road, that's impressive! In the other link of big
climbs, I was also not familar with a lot of these as well. Proves there are
other monsters out there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pic_du_Midi_de_Bigorre
http://bigascensions.free.fr/loca2004/devil02.htm

Old June 12th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:51:34 -0700, "GoneBeforeMyTime"
wrote:

The Scanuppia is the hardest
longest paved section I have ever seen, either in real life here, or on the
Internet.

The 'paving' at the top looked more like packed stone dust, which is
probably as good as paving once its been seated by some rain. It does
show some tracks.

In the U.S., someone would level that sucker so the cars wouldn't
overheat to get to the top.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old June 12th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

wrote:
The Scanuppia is the hardest
longest paved section I have ever seen, either in real life here, or on the
Internet.

The 'paving' at the top looked more like packed stone dust, which is
probably as good as paving once its been seated by some rain. It does
show some tracks.

I didn't see a single wheel breaking loose. Anything without a binder
would have broken loose, so it's probably soil cement where they just
mix in cement to bind the soil/gravel/sand.

Old June 12th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

===========
I didn't see a single wheel breaking loose. Anything without a binder
would have broken loose, so it's probably soil cement where they just
mix in cement to bind the soil/gravel/sand.

==========

While true that wheels weren't slipping, I think it's also true that, by the
point we're seeing things in the video, we're looking at a very small subset
of cyclists who know what they're doing. Those not used to riding on sloppy
stuff are probably still out there trying to make it up.

"Soil cement" it might be. Haven't come across that yet, but that's the way
it looked to me.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com