SIDIS and Slickrock

Old October 15th 03, 07:58 PM
JMK

Default SIDIS and Slickrock

I finally totally trashed my Shimano SPD mtb shoes/pedals(535s-I
think) (circa 1990). They were a gallant combo. They had been
exclusively a Moab team for the last three years. Took a impressive
amount of beating but, the pedals didn't like the sand very much.
I have been using SIDI Actions/959s routinely, which fit wonderfully
and work well, respectively, here in Michigan. But, I don't feel the
SIDIs soles are 'grippey' enough (even with the SRS feature) for the
slickrock like the Shimanos were. Besides they are $$$ for slickrock
trashing.
For next spring's Moab adventure I need a little advice. Do any of
the SIDIs have a soft grip sole? ...so I don't commit suicide when I
make my wimpy 'dabs' at Moab. I haven't been able to get any hands-on
time with Rampas. They seem reasonably priced on the web. If not....
I'll just try some other brands here, locally.
Also, as long as I am taking up people's time..., any experience
with the Crank Bros Candy SLs? They seem well suited for Moab. My
959s don't like rock hits very much (my shoes suddenly become
unclipped).
Thanx
Old October 15th 03, 08:16 PM
Carla A-G

"JMK" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I use a pair of Rampa's, but they don't have the sticky rubber soles that
you seek, its more like a hard plastic, they absolutely will give you no
grip on a rocky surface, most of SIDI's line is like that too. Have a look
at Shimano's and Specialized's offerings, many of their shoes have grippier
rubber sole bottoms.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old October 16th 03, 01:10 AM
Gary in VA

"JMK" wrote in message
om...
Also, as long as I am taking up people's time..., any experience
with the Crank Bros Candy SLs? They seem well suited for Moab. My
959s don't like rock hits very much (my shoes suddenly become
unclipped).

I'm riding both the Candys and the Mallets. Both have been great for me. I
was riding ATACs before and had problems unclipping with my left foot. Guess
my left ankle doesn't rotate as much. Going over to the Candys did the job.
Several people have said they have problems with rock strikes causing you to
unclip with Crank Bros Eggbeaters because if you hit the bars on the bottom
it opens up the bars on the top. Haven't had that problem myself.

Gary in VA