The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

Old January 6th 14, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

“As far as I can tell, the mountain bikers are totally silent on the
subject of these horrific accidents, and what they imply about the
danger of mountain biking. Am I wrong?

http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/injur...pital/5/178452

Injured mountain biker airlifted to hospital

Saturday, 4 January, 2014 - 10:51

This morning (Jan 4th) at approximately 9.30am the Nelson Marlborough
Rescue Helicopter was dispatched to the scene of a mountain bike
accident in forestry near Thorpe in the Motueka Valley. A 66 year old
male from the area crashed while riding, landing heavily, sustaining
injuries to his ribs. The rider was assessed by the helicopters
onboard intensive care paramedic before being flown to Nelson
Hospital for further treatment.”

It was no doubt well worth a few broken ribs to trespass on a trail which
was meant for hikers, not bikers. Once this fool has healed, he will no
doubt be back to try his luck again. Maybe next time he will succeed in
killing himself. That would be good riddance to bad rubbish!

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old January 6th 14, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/injur...pital/5/178452

........... snipped ......

It was no doubt well worth a few broken ribs to trespass on a trail which

was meant for hikers, not bikers. Once this fool has healed, he will no

doubt be back to try his luck again. Maybe next time he will succeed in

killing himself. That would be good riddance to bad rubbish!

Trespass; enter someone's land or property without permission

This individual was not trespassing.
Old January 10th 14, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/injur...pital/5/178452

........... snipped ......

It was no doubt well worth a few broken ribs to trespass on a trail which
was meant for hikers, not bikers. Once this fool has healed, he will no
doubt be back to try his luck again. Maybe next time he will succeed in
killing himself. That would be good riddance to bad rubbish!

Trespass; enter someone's land or property without permission

This individual was not trespassing.

It was a trespass against morality and common sense – and he got his just deserts.

Read on:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0106...ver-christmas/

Actor Matt Damon broke his collarbone over the festive period during
a mountain-biking outing.

The 43-year-old Bourne Identity star was spotted at LAX Airport in
Los Angeles on Saturday (04Jan14) sporting a sling on his left arm.

Speaking to reporters after landing, Damon explained his injury,
saying, "I broke my collarbone... I was trying to mountain-bike."

Who the hell is this Matt Damon? Anybody you know? Too bad he did not break his spine! Then he could lie in bed immobile for the rest of his life contemplating the joys and pleasures of cycling on trails.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old January 11th 14, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"EdwardDolan" wrote in message ...

More idiocy:

http://encino.patch.com/groups/polic...ve-near-encino

VIDEO: Biker Rescued by Helicopter After Falling Off Mulholland Drive
near Encino

Rescuers are called to the area near the 17500 block of Mulholland
Drive about 8:45 a.m.
Posted by Craig Clough (Editor) , January 08, 2014 at 12:25 PM

By City News Service

Firefighters rescued a man who was seriously injured Wednesday in a
fall on a mountain bike in the Encino area.

Rescuers went to the area near the 17500 block of Mulholland Drive
about 8:45 a.m., said Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The unidentified man was hoisted from the rugged terrain via
helicopter, and was taken to a hospital, Scott said.”

After the hospital, take him to a mental institution to see a psychiatrist to find out why he is riding a bike on a hiking trail. Then give him a good horsewhipping for being such a fool.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old January 11th 14, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"EdwardDolan" wrote in message ...

Here is some information for those who think mountain biking is growing in popularity. It is just a matter of time until it ceases to exist altogether. Nothing but a stupid fad cultivated by idiots!

”Emails on mountain biking lists have fallen to a trickle. Hardly anyone now bikes (illegally) on my hiking trail. Older mountain bikers are doing themselves irreparable harm, if not killing themselves. But we still need to protect young people from getting hooked on this self-destructive activity.

Some recent stats from 2013 Outdoor activities survey done in the USA puts mountain biking at around 3% average (no change from 2009, and may be falling), same as skiing and snowboarding....Check out hiking and wildlife viewing stats! Why should DNV and others allow such a destructive minority to dictate the use of our public forests, indeed. And why won't it be contained to a recreational resort like skiing and snowboarding?”

Participation in Outdoor Activities, All Americans Ages 6+

2012 in 000’s -- % of Population

Bicycling (Mountain/Non-Paved Surface) - 7,714 pop. -- 2.7%

Hiking --- 34,545 pop. -- 12.0%

Skiing (Alpine/Downhill) --- 8,243 pop. -- 2.9%

Snowboarding ---- 7,351 pop. -- 2.6%

Wildlife Viewing (More Than 1/4 Mile of

Home/Vehicle) - 22,999 pop. -- 8.0%

http://www.outdoorfoundation.org/pdf...pation2013.pdf
(page 58 of the online report)

Mountain bikes have wheels and wheels are for roads.

Old January 11th 14, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Oh I do so love it when you shoot yourself so spectacularly in the foot because, clearly, you can't be bothered to read the whole report;

Most Popular Outdoor Activities by Participation Rate

1. Running, Jogging and trail Running
19% of Americans Ages 6+, 53.2 million participants
2. Freshwater, Sal****er and Fly Fishing
16% of Americans Ages 6+, 46.0 million participants
3. Road Biking, Mountain Biking and BMX
15% of Americans Ages 6+, 42.3 million participants
4. Car, Backyard and RV camping
13% of Americans Ages 6+ 38.0 million participants
5. Hiking
12% of Americans Ages 6+, 34.5 million participants

I seem to recall that you're not too keen on people running on trails either ? :-). Only your reverential attitude to nature should be permitted on trails is, I believe, your position ?

And, if I could draw your attention to the first time participants table, on Page 14 of the report, hiking comes near the bottom there. People are taking up other outdoor activities.

Your comments about email are meaningless because there is currently a shift to commenting and chat apps ... just as Usenet was itself superceded by forums.
Old January 11th 14, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Trespass; enter someone's land or property without
permission

This individual was not trespassing.

It was a trespass against morality and common sense and he
got his just deserts.

Ah, we're back in Dolan world where things mean whatever you want them to mean are we and anyone who disagrees with you deserves physical injury ?

I know I'm going to regret asking this but just how do you manage to claim that mountainbiking is immoral ? Funnily enough, all the world's religions seem to have missed it out of their commandments.

Actor Matt Damon broke his collarbone over the festive period during

a mountain-biking outing.

The 43-year-old Bourne Identity star was
spotted at LAX Airport in
Los Angeles on Saturday (04Jan14) sporting a sling
on his left arm.

Speaking to reporters after landing, Damon explained his
injury,
saying, "I broke my collarbone... I was trying to
mountain-bike."

Who the hell is this Matt Damon? Anybody you know? Too bad he
did not break his spine! Then he could lie in bed immobile for the rest of his
life contemplating the joys and pleasures of cycling on trails.

What a sad and twisted man you are becoming ... you want to see a healthy individual reduced to being a quadraplegic just because he enjoys something you don't agree with ?
Old January 11th 14, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

As far as I can tell, the mountain bikers are totally silent on the
subject of these horrific accidents, and what they imply about the
danger of mountain biking. Am I wrong?

Yes, Ed, you're totally wrong. Mountainbikers are completely aware of the risks and post videos and pictures of mishaps. We choose to go out and live our lives and accept those risks.

Here's a compilation of the many that have been posted on Pinkbike ... http://www.pinkbike.com/video/309875/

Glad I could enlighten you.
Old January 11th 14, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Trespass; enter someone's land or property without

permission

This individual was not trespassing.

It was a trespass against morality and common sense and he
got his just deserts.

Ah, we're back in Dolan world where things mean whatever you want them to mean are we and anyone who disagrees with you deserves physical injury ?

I know I'm going to regret asking this but just how do you manage to claim that mountainbiking is immoral ? Funnily enough, all the world's religions seem to have missed it out of their commandments.

Morality is not confined to religions. Saint Edward the Great is an Atheist and He has the worlds highest morality.

Actor Matt Damon broke his collarbone over the festive period during

a mountain-biking outing.

The 43-year-old Bourne Identity star was
spotted at LAX Airport in
Los Angeles on Saturday (04Jan14) sporting a sling
on his left arm.

Speaking to reporters after landing, Damon explained his
injury,
saying, "I broke my collarbone... I was trying to
mountain-bike."

Who the hell is this Matt Damon? Anybody you know? Too bad he
did not break his spine! Then he could lie in bed immobile for the rest of his
life contemplating the joys and pleasures of cycling on trails.

What a sad and twisted man you are becoming ... you want to see a healthy individual reduced to being a quadraplegic just because he enjoys something you don't agree with ?

Nonsense, I just want to see mountain bikers who ride their bikes on hiking trails DEAD! That is the higher morality.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Old January 11th 14, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Oh I do so love it when you shoot yourself so spectacularly in the foot because, clearly, you can't be bothered to read the whole report;

Most Popular Outdoor Activities by Participation Rate

1. Running, Jogging and trail Running

19% of Americans Ages 6+, 53.2 million participants
2. Freshwater, Sal****er and Fly Fishing
16% of Americans Ages 6+, 46.0 million participants
3. Road Biking, Mountain Biking and BMX
15% of Americans Ages 6+, 42.3 million participants
4. Car, Backyard and RV camping
13% of Americans Ages 6+ 38.0 million participants
5. Hiking
12% of Americans Ages 6+, 34.5 million participants

I seem to recall that you're not too keen on people running on trails either ? :-). Only your reverential attitude to nature should be permitted on trails is, I believe, your position ?

Most resorts now have trails near by for sports enthusiasts and physical fitness nuts. That accounts for that particular statistic. Running or jogging on a trail far removed from a resort is something that only an idiot would do. Most running occurs on city streets.

And, if I could draw your attention to the first time participants table, on Page 14 of the report, hiking comes near the bottom there. People are taking up other outdoor activities.

Regarding the biking category, BMX and road biking should not be part of that. Mountain biking is a very small part of it. You do not know how to read a statistic because you do not know how to make a commonsense analysis. Also the age category 6+ is way too young. What kids do or don’t do doesn’t count as far as I am concerned. The proper age should have been about 14+.

Your comments about email are meaningless because there is currently a shift to commenting and chat apps ... just as Usenet was itself superceded by forums.

These emails will have links to reports mostly from newspapers or magazines. I don’t need to read them because I already know what they will say. But you badly need the education, so I do advise you to read the links. I think a forum and a newsgroup are one and the same thing, except most forums will have moderators in order to keep Great Ones like Myself from speaking the truth.