Beware of Moose on Bike Path

Old August 8th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Beware of Moose on Bike Path

On Thursday my son and I were riding on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes
in the Chain of Lakes area. We heard a rustling in the underbrush and
thought it was a deer, and then an enormous moose came onto the path in
maybe 50 feet in front of us. He saw us and panicked and took off back
down toward the lake.

There are numerous "No Shooting" signs along the path, but I was tempted
to use my gun, but I'm not sure if my Ruger .38 would have stopped a
moose. I don't normally carry a rifle except in remote areas while
mountain biking using holders intended for ATVs (see
"http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.jsp?_requestid=74234")

I wonder if bear repellent spray works on mooses.
Old August 10th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Aug 8, 11:31*am, SMS wrote:
On Thursday my son and I were riding on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes
in the Chain of Lakes area. We heard a rustling in the underbrush and
thought it was a deer, and then an enormous moose came onto the path in
maybe 50 feet in front of us. He saw us and panicked and took off back
down toward the lake.

There are numerous "No Shooting" signs along the path, but I was tempted
to use my gun, but I'm not sure if my Ruger .38 would have stopped a
moose. I don't normally carry a rifle except in remote areas while
mountain biking using holders intended for ATVs (see
"http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.j...")

I wonder if bear repellent spray works on mooses.

you are lucky, it could've charged you. I had moose meat once when I
was a kid in the early 70s- my uncle was a hunter- best meat I ever ate
Old August 10th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

On 10/08/10 8:47 AM, raamman wrote:
On Aug 8, 11:31 am, wrote:
On Thursday my son and I were riding on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes
in the Chain of Lakes area. We heard a rustling in the underbrush and
thought it was a deer, and then an enormous moose came onto the path in
maybe 50 feet in front of us. He saw us and panicked and took off back
down toward the lake.

There are numerous "No Shooting" signs along the path, but I was tempted
to use my gun, but I'm not sure if my Ruger .38 would have stopped a
moose. I don't normally carry a rifle except in remote areas while
mountain biking using holders intended for ATVs (see
"http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.j...")

I wonder if bear repellent spray works on mooses.

you are lucky, it could've charged you. I had moose meat once when I
was a kid in the early 70s- my uncle was a hunter- best meat I ever ate

There was a lot of adrenaline when that moose came clamoring onto the path.

Earlier in the trip we wanted to do some hikes in Glacier NP, and the
trails were closed because of grizzlies, and we took a boat ride on a
lake and saw some on the mountainside. Hikers there carry bear repellent
with them, essentially pepper spray. I wonder if it would work on a
moose as well.