On the constant malice of the petty scum on RBT

Old August 31st 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
SMS

Default On the constant malice of the petty scum on RBT

On 8/30/2010 8:11 PM, James wrote:
On Aug 31, 11:13 am, Andre wrote:
On Aug 31, 2:00 am, wrote:

I'm very cheap, free in fact. Free as in speech that is, but not
virus prone.

Okay, I'll bite; that's either a monstrous troll, or a valuable tip.
How do you manage not to be virus prone without spending any money? --
AJ

For the benefit of those who don't follow links without description,
the following is the home page of Ubuntu, a distribution of the GNU/
Linux OS.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Or if you prefer Debian, Mepis is a very good distribution.
"http://www.mepis.org/". You still get all the advantages of Debian over
Ubuntu, but you still can have a "windows-like interface" which is the
primary attraction of Ubuntu. Of course if you only need a windows-like
interface you'd be happier with Windows.
Old August 31st 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Simon Lewis

On Aug 31, 11:13 am, Andre wrote:
On Aug 31, 2:00 am, wrote:

I'm very cheap, free in fact. Free as in speech that is, but not
virus prone.

Okay, I'll bite; that's either a monstrous troll, or a valuable tip.
How do you manage not to be virus prone without spending any money? --
AJ

For the benefit of those who don't follow links without description,
the following is the home page of Ubuntu, a distribution of the GNU/
Linux OS.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Or if you prefer Debian, Mepis is a very good distribution.
"http://www.mepis.org/". You still get all the advantages of Debian over
Ubuntu, but you still can have a "windows-like interface" which is the
primary attraction of Ubuntu. Of course if you only need a windows-like
interface you'd be happier with Windows.

There is nothing "Windows like interface" at all in Ubuntu. It's
Gnome. At least nothing more than any other of the multiple Gnome using
X based distros.

Old August 31st 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 31, 11:13 am, Andre *wrote:
On Aug 31, 2:00 am, *wrote:

[...]

That's what I hate about the Windows world, the efflorescence of
conflicting versions necessitated by bug fixes, demonic commercial
"differentiation", egotripping, and plain stupidity. My first Mac was
signed in the back by Steve 'n'Steve (and when I sold it paid for
every Mac I bought since) -- and thirty years later the interface is
still recognizably the same!

There's something else important about the Mac that isn't often
mentioned. Anyone who has been conscientious about transferring his
data as new storage media appeared has lost *nothing*. Can any PC/
Microsoft user truly say that? Mo I can search thirty-year-old data
from my desktop and it hardly ever needs work, and then just a little,
to make it presentable. Who can say that in the PC/Microsoft world?

Andre Jute
"The brain of an engineer is a delicate instrument which must be
protected against the unevenness of the ground." -- Wifredo-Pelayo
Ricart Medina
Old August 31st 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
MikeWhy

Andre Jute wrote:
There's something else important about the Mac that isn't often
mentioned. Anyone who has been conscientious about transferring his
data as new storage media appeared has lost *nothing*. Can any PC/
Microsoft user truly say that? Mo I can search thirty-year-old data
from my desktop and it hardly ever needs work, and then just a little,
to make it presentable. Who can say that in the PC/Microsoft world?

Yes, I can say that. This XP boot image was installed in Jan, 2001, making
it this moment a few months short of it's 10th birthday. It had since been
through two major hardware upgrades, the most recent 4 long years ago,
including motherboards and processors, and seen 3 whole generations of board
and bus architectures. Whole disk drives have come and gone, as has a small
pile of now dead keyboards and mice, and still the original XP installation
remains. It was cloned to its current home on a 1.5 TB SATA drive when the
original Seagate drive started to fail 3 years ago. Through it all, it has
never been burdened with the viral anti-virus software. The occasional
cleanups were accomplished easily using simple tools. It is my main desktop,
serving as a development workstation by day, at one point as much as 18
hours a day, and in the past, also hosted some very performance intensive
games by night. It is typically powered and connected to the web up to 20
hours each day, every day of every year of its long service. As for 30
years, no, I can't quite say that. The oldest harddrive in the deadwood pile
dates back to 1987. It was retired for its uselessly small capacity rather
than failure, although its 20 MB was pretty big once upon a time. I can
actually plug it into today's hardware if I so wanted. The old ATA
interfaces are still available on today's systems.

While I have nothing against Macs, I find nothing at all notable or
compelling about them, except now and again the very occasional oddity of
finding one or two in roles now utterly dominated by Microsoft and Windows
only points out their obscurity. I have little also to say about Linux. My
bug fix to an obscure TCP buffering problem in the very early 2.something
kernels, about 1997, likely are no longer even in the distributions. These
days, I run a Ubuntu distro on a VPC on this self same XP work horse rather
than devote a separate box. I've always found them less than suitable as
desktop workstations. The GUIs typically sucked a full core just updating
the display, as recently as 2007 when I last tried. Granted, it could easily
have just been the crap driver support for the (absolutely unremarkable and
unobscure) Nvidia. I find it much more usable as a headless server, even in
a virtual machine, serving up remote terminals hosted on the Windows
desktop.

As for longevity, stability, compatibility, and security, gimme a bleepin'
break. Apple's main claim to fame is continually leading the market with
glitzy products and promising technologies, often well ahead of their time,
and unfortunately, always it seems before the underlying technologies they
represent were ready. I have a like new Newton II still floating around, at
first waiting for relevance, and then retired as a novelty still unused when
that relevance soon came and swallowed it whole. I'd give you the full list,
but that would only bring me anguish to have to revisit that inventory. And
Linux? What can I say? It's most notable for the underground roots that it
still represents to this day, and is the collective sum of contributions
from some very talented (and some less talented) minds as they passed
through on their ways to their real lives and callings. That's Linux,
initially aspiring to no more than simply existing as an alternative, and in
maturity achieved that and little more. One might call that the definition
of mediocrity, but I don't in truth hold that dismal view.

And what about Windows, then? Windows had Dave Cutler, and Microsoft's deep
pockets, a visionary genius and the means to bring his vision to fruition.
Twenty plus years later, Cutler's NT architecture still defines the Windows
kernel. Nobody *loves* Windows, and in some circles, it's chic to hate and
disparage it. Shrug Said the bearded guy: I don't always drink beer, but I
do, I prefer Dos Equis. (No, that isn't supposed to make any sense. I just
tired of the thought and the drudgery of typing it.)

Old August 31st 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 31, 9:23*pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
There's something else important about the Mac that isn't often
mentioned. Anyone who has been conscientious about transferring his
data as new storage media appeared has lost *nothing*. Can any PC/
Microsoft user truly say that? Mo I can search thirty-year-old data
from my desktop and it hardly ever needs work, and then just a little,
to make it presentable. Who can say that in the PC/Microsoft world?

Yes, I can say that. This XP boot image was installed in Jan, 2001, making
it this moment a few months short of it's 10th birthday.

So you can't really say that your OS vendor has protected your data
integrity for 30 years, can you? Ten years is a looooong way short of
30 years.

Andre Jute
There are lies, damned statistics, and Apple WYSIWYG -- except that
all other wysiwygs are worse

Old September 1st 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
MikeWhy

Andre Jute wrote:
There's something else important about the Mac that isn't often
mentioned. Anyone who has been conscientious about transferring his
data as new storage media appeared has lost *nothing*. Can any PC/
Microsoft user truly say that? Mo I can search thirty-year-old
data from my desktop and it hardly ever needs work, and then just a
little, to make it presentable. Who can say that in the
PC/Microsoft world?

Yes, I can say that. This XP boot image was installed in Jan, 2001,
making it this moment a few months short of it's 10th birthday.

So you can't really say that your OS vendor has protected your data
integrity for 30 years, can you? Ten years is a looooong way short of
30 years.

I have some old tapes and disks from the old C64, but I'm thinking that's
still a year or two too young. Gawd. What a pack rat you must be.

Old September 1st 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
There's something else important about the Mac that isn't often
mentioned. Anyone who has been conscientious about transferring his
data as new storage media appeared has lost *nothing*. Can any PC/
Microsoft user truly say that? Mo I can search thirty-year-old
data from my desktop and it hardly ever needs work, and then just a
little, to make it presentable. Who can say that in the
PC/Microsoft world?

Yes, I can say that. This XP boot image was installed in Jan, 2001,
making it this moment a few months short of it's 10th birthday.

So you can't really say that your OS vendor has protected your data
integrity for 30 years, can you? Ten years is a looooong way short of
30 years.

I have some old tapes and disks from the old C64, but I'm thinking that's
still a year or two too young. Gawd. What a pack rat you must be.

I raise you some microcassettes from an Epson PX8 laptop (called an
Epson Paris in the States)...In fact, you can still get those
microcassettes as they're a current standard in Olympus and other
microrecorders.

Andre Jute
Gawd, what did I do with those magnetic strips we used to feed the
Olivetti Programma 101, the first desktop computer (c1968)?
Old September 1st 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
AMuzi

Andre Jute wrote:
There's something else important about the Mac that isn't often
mentioned. Anyone who has been conscientious about transferring his
data as new storage media appeared has lost *nothing*. Can any PC/
Microsoft user truly say that? Mo I can search thirty-year-old
data from my desktop and it hardly ever needs work, and then just a
little, to make it presentable. Who can say that in the
PC/Microsoft world?

Yes, I can say that. This XP boot image was installed in Jan, 2001,
making it this moment a few months short of it's 10th birthday.

So you can't really say that your OS vendor has protected your data
integrity for 30 years, can you? Ten years is a looooong way short of
30 years.

I have some old tapes and disks from the old C64, but I'm thinking
that's still a year or two too young. Gawd. What a pack rat you must be.

Wow. 30 years ago we had to fit the program and the data
all on a 180k disk. Well, until we got the cassette drive,
that is. Such a long time ago!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 1st 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Dan O

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

In any case, bits are bits. Unless somebody loses the specification,
open source is always best.

Old September 1st 10, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

There was a thin bellypan that fitted under the Epson PX8/Paris laptop
that was called a CMOS drive, which contained non-volatile memory in
which one could load programmes and data. c1980. I had one for my PX8s
that outlasted several of the computers, was given to a friend for his
PX8, went to his son, a journalist, was later returned to me, and was
the last bit of the PX8 chain to survive, c1990 when C/PM, the
operating system, wasn't even a memory for most of the new computer-
literates. I took a PX8 into the Arctic Circle; it was the sturdiest
laptop I knew of then or now.-- AJ

Certainly not malice Dylan Smith UK 19 October 27th 07 09:15 AM
Rear Tire constant flats making me mad! Jose Capco Techniques 9 August 26th 07 12:53 PM
Should bar tape have sporadic or constant adhesive? Iain Dalton Techniques 9 September 12th 06 11:08 PM
constant punctures driving me mad....... Sylvian Stone UK 14 November 11th 04 11:47 PM
dirty scum Temp3st UK 11 September 12th 03 12:04 PM