rear-ended by motorist

Old August 29th 13, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Gregory Lynne

Default rear-ended by motorist

I commute by bike. I don't own an auto.

On a clear-blue-sky morning, two-lane, rural highway, white-line with 6-12" of asphalt to the right of the white-line before ditches/earthen-banks/rocks/etc. I was struck from behind. I've worn a bright-orange/yellow-striped safety vest since day one. Six months of commuting 7-days-week without serious incident.

I went from ~5 m.p.h. pedaling uphill/laptop in lt. rear basket/waterproof saddlebag on rt. rear rack. to ~55 m.p.h. in under a second. Foot-pedal strap held my left foot while my body/bike went flying in different directions.. Left ankle/leg bones ripped apart by pedal strap. Minor bruises/scrapes to left body/back/leg.

Young male driver stopped, called 911, spoke to State Police while I was transported to local hospital. Says he "swerved to avoid me"?

I'm on blood thinners! Surgery to leg/ankle 3 days later when blood thinning abated via Vit.K./time.

Pins/plate to ankle. Screws to leg bones to be removed ~healing x 6 wks.

No income; I was working 7-days-week, paycheck-to-paycheck.

Comments? Other websites addressing accident victims of biking strikes?

Someone said Virginia has traffic law requiring cars to give 8' berth to cyclists? I've never heard same.

Driver cited with "reckless driving". What about "vehicular assault"?
Old August 29th 13, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Gregory Lynne" wrote in message ...

[...]

Those two-lane rural highways are far more dangerous to cyclists than most folks think, even if traffic is light. Ideally you always want a shoulder for cycling. Lacking that, you must constantly be monitoring with a rear view mirror what is coming at you from behind and be prepared to take to the shoulder (even if there is no shoulder) in the event the driver doesn't seem to be giving you some room. You have suffered what is every cyclist’s nightmare – getting hit from behind. It is a wonder you weren't killed.

You should probably see a lawyer and see if you can get something for your medical expenses and for pain and suffering also. It would be a civil suit.

Ed Dolan the Great

aka
Saint Edward the Great