Small front wheel question

Old April 3rd 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Small front wheel question

Veloise wrote:
Now that we're past April 1...this is really a question for Sheldon
(RIP).

I have a Counterpoint tandem (the original, not a Viewpoint). Spec
sheets from later years indicate that the max weight on the front
should be about 175 lbs, and total gross vehicle weight 400.

New friend in my life. To fit under that total limitation, I would
have to have a couple legs removed.

Need advice from a Sheldon wannabe (um, other than the obvious) who
has real life practical experience with 'bents and other small
wheels.

Well, I have only been riding small wheel recumbent since the last
millennium, so I do not know if I can be of much help.

Here are pics of the bike. I don't have the specs memorized but they
are easy enough to type in from a trip to my basement.
http://home.earthlink.net/~veloise/cpoint.htm

The stronger the front wheel the better, and the heavier the rim with
more surface area for cooling the better. Something along the lines of a
Sun Big City [1] would be a good choice. Yes, it is 600 gm, but this is
no place to save weight. As always, proper wheel build is critical.

Secondly, you will want a fat tire that can be inflated to high pressure
to reduce pinch flatting and thick sidewalls and tread to reduce the
potential for cuts and punctures. A BMX freestyle tire such as the
Maxxis Hookworm [2] would be a suitable choice.

[1] http://www.sun-ringle.com/contentpages/bmx/rims.php5.
[2] http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=90.