Cyclist injured after collision with car in city cycle lane

Old June 11th 10, 09:54 AM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Default Cyclist injured after collision with car in city cycle lane

Doug wrote:

No the advice for cyclists, which you should know by now even as a
motorist, is to distance themselves from the parked car 'door zone'
and use the outer car lane instead, even when hooted at by impatient
drivers. That way they also have more chance of seeing a child coming
from the concealment provided by parked cars.

Of course, it is even more difficult for cyclists when cars are parked
in a cycle lane, as often happens.

Nonsense. Do not use cycle lanes and always allow at least a metre between
you and any other vehicle.

What can be particularly difficult though for a cyclist is a narrow
side road with cars parked nose-to-tail on both sides, leaving just a
single, narrow bidirectional lane in the middle. What should they do
about doors suddenly opening on both sides and cars coming straight at
them at speed from the opposite direction with nowhere to escape to?

Nonsense, if there is only up to about 3 metres, you ride down the centre,
as slowly and as carefully as need be. If there is oncoming traffic, you
either pass at a gap or both grind to a halt before moving over and
squeezing past slowly. If the driver is being a knob (many are) I just shake
my head at them.

Learn to ride Doug, then you will cease to be the victim.

BTW do you have the original url for the report? I tend not to read posts
from jms/judith.

Old June 11th 10, 06:38 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Squashme wrote:

What a good thing that cars have colours or they would be untraceable
like cyclists. Woman in a red car, who left the scene of the accident
- easy to find her.

Cyclist too thick to remember a 7 string of numbers & letters.

Doh!

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Old June 11th 10, 08:48 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 11 June, 18:38, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

What a good thing that cars have colours or they would be untraceable
like cyclists. Woman in a red car, who left the scene of the accident
- easy to find her.

Cyclist too thick to remember a 7 string of numbers & letters.

Doh!

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Just imagine yourself as a cyclist (yes I know that you 'grew' out of
it, but suspend disbelief). You are cycling along when some motorist,
too thick to look in her mirror, opens her door and clangs you. You
pick yourself up, number your parts, and stand there holding your
fractured wrist. Meanwhile the motorist cheerfully drives away,
leaving you uncertain what your name is (Medley Hamburger, Muddy
HoochyCoochyMan, Motley Humdinger, Mostly Halftimer, Mosley
Hewastheman?), let alone what was on their numberplate.
Old June 11th 10, 09:02 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_6_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

[...]

Just imagine how much less informed you could possibly be if the vehicle
receding into the distance was a bicycle.

OK, we all know that what you describe happens, but at least the reg mark is
displayed.
Old June 11th 10, 09:29 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

[...]

OI! get back in my killfile, I got fed up of reading your drivel ages ago.

Old June 11th 10, 09:32 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

[...]

1. I'd remember a bicycle with doors on. Easily.

2. A bicycle involved in a collision might well not be able to get
away, especially with doors on.

OK, we all know that what you describe happens, but at least the reg mark is
displayed.

Yes, it's certainly put an end to hit and run.

Old June 11th 10, 09:45 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

[...]

I could still remember a simple string of numbers & letters. Cyclists are
too thick.

Old June 11th 10, 09:49 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

[...]

Which bit of 'vast majority' is too complicated for you?

Old June 11th 10, 09:50 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

[...]

Well done Mr N - you have him on the ropes :-)

Old June 11th 10, 10:30 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_6_]

mileburner wrote:
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Squashme wrote:

[...]

Rubbish. You were answering my posts a few days ago.

Or was that one of the others?

But tell you what, do as you threaten. After all, it's *much* easier than
trying to put coherent arguments, isn't it?