taking the lane No. 3674b

Old April 19th 14, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default taking the lane No. 3674b

but first

http://goo.gl/2ub0dI

let it load let it load....ect

I wuzin a line following various SUV goin' down to the beach bridge at abt 50 mph. I see well from a Ford van.

We suddenly passed a cyclist in the 'bike'lane...here separated from the 'right turn lane'

and now what ? he was invisible until I wuz on top of him. Hidden aside the SUV..not large SUV...Honda Crv et al.

Old April 19th 14, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:41:30 AM UTC-7, x wrote:

snip

I wuzin a line following various SUV goin' down to the beach bridge at abt 50 mph. I see well from a Ford van.

Common scenario - 'specially down to the beach.

We suddenly passed a cyclist in the 'bike'lane...here separated from the 'right turn lane'

Trying to imagine the setup. Picturing:

----------------------------
("car" lane) -----
----------------------------
(bike lane) ------
----------------------------
(right turn lane) ------v
-----------------------

Is that about right?

and now what ? he was invisible until I wuz on top of him. Hidden aside the SUV..not large SUV...Honda Crv et al.

This is where the paint stripe actually is protective. Not
super-laws-of-physics-defying protective (anyone who thinks
there is any such thing is prime Darwinian candidate), but...
well, let me pose a pair of alternate scenarios.

1) No bike lane ("ordinary" roads). Line of SUV's down to
the beach. Bicyclist heading to the beach, riding as far
right as practicable - probably right of fog line. Bicyclist
is not visible to traffic back because of Honda Crv in sight
line ahead. (People never see everything all of the time;
that's just the way it is. I can't see my toes right now
because the laptop screen is in the way. Doesn't mean
they're not there. Don't see this as a problem.)

So, (still scenario 1), so following van or whatever just
wants to get down to the beach and catch some waves or
whatever, while Crv driver(s) is gawking at the scenic
shoreline and seabirds. Guy behind gets impatient and
wants to see what the holdup is ahead, so he swings over
to the left but Crv is positioned leftish and that doesn't
give satisfaction, so antsy driver can't just follow Crv
bumper and now tries a swing right to look around ahead
or maybe just express his impatience...

"Boom! Crash! Bang! Splat! (Crunch, th-bump, ouch,
th-bump, ouch) Call the ambulance!"

(Happens a lot on our road down to the beach.)

Scenario 2) Bike lane to the right of straight through lane.
Same as above, except in order to swing right, antsy guy has
to cross a wide solid stripe that advises him 1), he's not
supposed to do that, and 2), if there is anyone brave enough
to ride a bicycle around here, this is where they are likely
to be.

(In some more advanced designs, there is a sort of rumble
strip at the demarcation.)

Magically protective? No. Protective? Duh.

.... Oh, scenario 3) Bike lane or no, but competent vehicular
cyclist wants to ensure that he is visible and in control, so
he rides in the main traffic lane such that SUV's cannot pass.
Traffic proceeds down to the beach at ~14 mph and less. Once
arriving at the beach, vehicular cyclist bitches about punks
running red lights and popping wheelies and passing his parade
of SUV's on the right, as motorist at next picnic table
bitches about how bicyclists shouldn't be on the road with
cars after his ordeal getting down to the beach. VC blames
punks for motorist attitude. Motorist has to admit that
bicyclists need a place to ride, and since he shares VC's
disdain for hoodlum punks, both have scapegoat who wasn't
hurting anyone.
Old April 19th 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/19/2014 3:07 PM, Dan O wrote:
... antsy driver can't just follow Crv
bumper and now tries a swing right to look around ahead
or maybe just express his impatience...

"Boom! Crash! Bang! Splat! (Crunch, th-bump, ouch,
th-bump, ouch) Call the ambulance!"

(Happens a lot on our road down to the beach.)

Happens a _lot_? Gosh, Danger! Danger!

Got data?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 19th 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 6:16:51 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/19/2014 3:07 PM, Dan O wrote:

... antsy driver can't just follow Crv

bumper and now tries a swing right to look around ahead

or maybe just express his impatience...

"Boom! Crash! Bang! Splat! (Crunch, th-bump, ouch,

th-bump, ouch) Call the ambulance!"

(Happens a lot on our road down to the beach.)

Happens a _lot_? Gosh, Danger! Danger!

Got data?

--

- Frank Krygowski

Gotta ask Frank. Are you calling the poster a liar? Yes or no?

Cheers
Old April 19th 14, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

YEAH DAT DATA....not pur sang cyclists....riders going to the beach.

If there were no 'bike lane' then riders would be safer against the berm and rail.

but holy Basho....their vulnerability !

if my driving had drifted for a moment ....no cyclists.

see it is a lot different from conceptualizing.

Old April 20th 14, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/19/2014 3:07 PM, Dan O wrote:

... antsy driver can't just follow Crv

bumper and now tries a swing right to look around ahead

or maybe just express his impatience...

"Boom! Crash! Bang! Splat! (Crunch, th-bump, ouch,

th-bump, ouch) Call the ambulance!"

(Happens a lot on our road down to the beach.)

Happens a _lot_? Gosh, Danger! Danger!

Got data?

Gotta ask Frank. Are you calling the poster a liar? Yes or no?

No, because when a person calls someone a liar, it looks something like
this: "You're a liar."

When someone wants data, it looks like this: "Got data?" That's true
whether it's because the requester is curious or skeptical.

Sir, you really do have serious trouble distinguishing between
skepticism and accusations. They are not the same.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 20th 14, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

data data datakoll....?....I uh pay attention. I practice. I never drive into other objects, objects drive into me. I'm faster than a speeding bullet. I jump tall ...

but there was the data. From the correct lane position, bicycle lane riders are unseen as hidden alongside the vehicle in front of your position. I hadn't 'thought' of this.

If your position is in the cycle lane then you would see the cycle.

But in the unusual frequency of momentarily getting into the cycle lane at that wrong time and place then placing the BICYCLE LANE alongside the VEHICLE LANE and not against the berm or rail....

the design is as stupid as it looks. and 'that's why'
Old April 20th 14, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:16:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/19/2014 3:07 PM, Dan O wrote:

"Boom! Crash! Bang! Splat! (Crunch, th-bump, ouch,
th-bump, ouch) Call the ambulance!"

(Happens a lot on our road down to the beach.)

Happens a _lot_? Gosh, Danger! Danger!

Got data?

Apparently, there is data that it happens enough to "look for
patterns":

"As ODOT manages the Oregon Coast Bike Route, we've been informed they're studying the details of each recent accident to look for patterns that point to what can be mitigated or improved. Staff with ODOT's Pedestrian and Bicycle Program are conferring with their agency's traffic engineers and area managers to look at what they can do to try to prevent these types of accidents in the future."

Tell you what, I'll stipulate that "a lot" was my unscientific
impression, and that it may not be "a lot" - subject to individual
tolerances, thresholds, and definitions. (Kind of a stupid thing
to argue about, if you ask me.)

Now, care to address the substance that you snipped re; paint
stripe protective?

Old April 20th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:17:30 PM UTC-7, x wrote:
data data datakoll....?....I uh pay attention. I practice. I never drive into other objects, objects drive into me. I'm faster than a speeding bullet. I jump tall ...

but there was the data. From the correct lane position, bicycle lane riders are unseen as hidden alongside the vehicle in front of your position. I hadn't 'thought' of this.

If your position is in the cycle lane then you would see the cycle.

But in the unusual frequency of momentarily getting into the cycle lane at that wrong time and place then placing the BICYCLE LANE alongside the VEHICLE LANE and not against the berm or rail....

the design is as stupid as it looks. and 'that's why'

I would not care for being sandwiched in between 50 mph heavy
SUV traffic and the right-turn only lane. That scenario should
only extend a short way before I could get back over to the berm
or rail, but the whole affair makes me uncomfortable and I
would be using alternate routes as much as I could.

Old April 20th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

I doahn know if this link works....posted the view before.

you may see a Road - Safety Rd - at bottom then a canal then THE 12 mile/30 mile bike path - then across a narrow grass berm - the State Road's bike path - then traffic both merge and turn right lane abt 1/4 mile worth.

The State moved the State Road bike path from the bottom location to ....in between the right thru traffic lane and the merge turn right lane !!!

incroyable.

http://goo.gl/Ekiyge

Taking the lane Joe Riel Techniques 76 July 18th 13 03:27 AM
Taking the Lane Trifecta! Jay Beattie Techniques 26 July 5th 13 05:22 PM
taking the lane nik.morgan[_2_] UK 3 August 19th 12 01:50 PM
Taking The Lane Steve Walker[_2_] UK 6 March 3rd 11 09:21 AM
taking the lane 60's style recycled-one General 8 September 6th 06 08:10 PM