loose chain guard with defect plastic bar to hold it

Old May 22nd 16, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default loose chain guard with defect plastic bar to hold it

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:39:12 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I'm not sure whether that qualifies as
a "standard bike" as I'd guess that if you
visited every bicycle shop in Bangkok you
wouldn't find a twin of that bike. :-)

"Standardcykel" is everything more basic than
a racer, I think. Often with the Torpedo hub,
1, 3, or 5 gears.

He

https://www.google.se/search?tbm=isc...=standardcykel

Perhaps There but not Here. A typical scene He
http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/play/c...insane-266276/
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 22nd 16, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:36:22 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I'm not sure about the ice hockey but
I certainly see folks riding to the market
for the day's food without all that fancy
bicycle stuff.

Riding a bike on streets with cars and busses
(which is an everyday thing here) is much more
dangerous than playing ice hockey on the
hobby level.

I think that is a very dependent on what streets. Here I see folks who
are out every morning on the bike. Down to the market for the day's
food, maybe a bit of a natter with old friends, and home again.

If you told these folks that were taking their life in their hands to
be riding a bicycle, or that they should wear a helmet, they would
stare at you in awe. After all, they have been doing it for years and
their parents likely did it too. "Dangerous? You've got to be
kidding".

But there is no need to compare the level of
danger because I think you should have a helmet
doing either.

It may come as a surprise but it is quite common for "Local" people to
firmly believe that "Outsiders" are, well, not very bright. To tell
the grandmother, down the street, that she should wear a helmet for
her morning visit to the marker on her bike, well. You just confirmed
it.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 22nd 16, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 21 May 2016 12:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 9:36:28 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

I'm not sure about the ice hockey but
I certainly see folks riding to the market
for the day's food without all that fancy
bicycle stuff.

Riding a bike on streets with cars and busses
(which is an everyday thing here) is much more
dangerous than playing ice hockey on the
hobby level.

But there is no need to compare the level of
danger because I think you should have a helmet
doing either.

Also consider people often ride bikes
when drunk!

White reflex front, red back, and yellow to the
sides, on the rims (the spokes); hand brake if
the bike has two or more gears; a helmet;
decent bike care; basic knowledge of traffic
rules; winter tires during the winter; red
light back and white front when dark, lights
that aren't put on blink mode - that should
be enough.

There is also a law all bikes should have
a bell but I don't see this contributing to
safety really. But why not.

- so far: 37 Blogomatic articles -

Most bicycle bells are useless as warning item especially on a bicycl with a drop bar. First of all the bell isn't heard over traffic noise or by drivers. Second the person who is being rung at needs to figure out where the sound is coming from. Third, by the time the bicyclist reaches and rings the bell they could have stopped, swerved around the object/person or yelled much louder than the bell rings.

Cheers

But bells are so much more genteel. Tinkle, tinkle, is certainly more
refined then "HEY! OUT THE F_ _KING WAY!" :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 22nd 16, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:29:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Not wearing a helmet doesn't seem strange because people know there is
very, very little risk of seriously impacting one's head while riding a
bike.

In today's paper was a report of a crash in which the rider did suffer
head injuries, and a helmet probably would have helped.

But it wouldn't have helped near as much as screwing his pedals on
properly. The paper said that the rider fell off his bike because a
pedal broke off when he braked.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 22nd 16, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

John B. wrote in
:

No one uses a "bicycle Clip" :-)

Ahem. ;-)

I still have the pair of clips I bought in the early 1970s. When I ride in
trousers, I use them. (I alsmost never ride in trousers anymore. The last
time would have been the spring of 2012.)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old May 23rd 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 22 May 2016 11:07:29 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

John B. wrote in
:

No one uses a "bicycle Clip" :-)

Ahem. ;-)

I still have the pair of clips I bought in the early 1970s. When I ride in
trousers, I use them. (I alsmost never ride in trousers anymore. The last
time would have been the spring of 2012.)

I believe that Amazon, among others, still are selling them.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 23rd 16, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I think that is a very dependent on what
streets. Here I see folks who are out every
morning on the bike. Down to the market for
the day's food, maybe a bit of a natter with
old friends, and home again.

I didn't go to Thailand but I think it is
a safe bet that traffic is more ordered in
Sweden and with less vehicles on almost any
given street.

On the other hand, there is no ice and snow on
the streets in the winters in the Southeast,
and many crashes here happen that way, people
don't use studded tires, and when they turn,
for example in a roundabout, they slip and
start to glide...

After all, they have been doing it for years
and their parents likely did it too.
"Dangerous? You've got to be kidding".

So have I and many others, but that doesn't
make it less dangerous, but more, because that
will increase the volume of it, and it will
mean you do it in all mental and physical
states, perhaps when drunk, exhausted,
emotionally upset, very hungry or thirsty, etc.

Also consider those situations happens to other
riders and drivers as well!

Just to wake up, everything is OK, ride to the
shop and buy milk, of course that is
not dangerous!

But go by bike a lifetime you would have a hard
time determine when everything is OK and when
there is a situation, so the safe bet is to
always use a helmet.

- so far: 39 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 23rd 16, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Joy Beeson
writes:

In today's paper was a report of a crash in
which the rider did suffer head injuries, and
a helmet probably would have helped.

But it wouldn't have helped near as much as
screwing his pedals on properly. The paper
said that the rider fell off his bike because
a pedal broke off when he braked.

Indeed, and considering the state of many bikes
- 30+ years old with zero maintainance save for
once they break and are turned into a shop - it
is actually amazing this sort of things doesn't
happen more often!

With pedals tho they seem to stick just tighter
with age and before I learned of the pipe trick
in which to enter the combination wrench I had
all sorts of trouble getting them off

- so far: 40 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 23rd 16, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 23 May 2016 10:48:20 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I think that is a very dependent on what
streets. Here I see folks who are out every
morning on the bike. Down to the market for
the day's food, maybe a bit of a natter with
old friends, and home again.

I didn't go to Thailand but I think it is
a safe bet that traffic is more ordered in
Sweden and with less vehicles on almost any
given street.

The thing about Bangkok, and I suspect most cities, is that while the
main thoroughfares are crowded and chocker-block full there are far
more small streets and lanes where the bulk off the people live that
are just small narrow streets. Crowded and because that they are
crowded traffic is slower.

But I suspect a major factor is that Thai people are used to bicycles
and don't regard them as something strange. My wife used to pedal our
son to school when he was a little chap. If I walk out of the lane our
house is built on early in the morning I will see a fair number of
women, with their bicycles, buying the days food.

In other words, bicycles aren't some strange exotic thing with a body
clad in tight and colorful clothes perched on the top.

On the other hand, there is no ice and snow on
the streets in the winters in the Southeast,
and many crashes here happen that way, people
don't use studded tires, and when they turn,
for example in a roundabout, they slip and
start to glide...

No. No snow and ice.

After all, they have been doing it for years
and their parents likely did it too.
"Dangerous? You've got to be kidding".

So have I and many others, but that doesn't
make it less dangerous, but more, because that
will increase the volume of it, and it will
mean you do it in all mental and physical
states, perhaps when drunk, exhausted,
emotionally upset, very hungry or thirsty, etc.

Also consider those situations happens to other
riders and drivers as well!

Just to wake up, everything is OK, ride to the
shop and buy milk, of course that is
not dangerous!

But go by bike a lifetime you would have a hard
time determine when everything is OK and when
there is a situation, so the safe bet is to
always use a helmet.

I'm not sure that I agree but I can't provide any evidence to the
contrary.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 23rd 16, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/22/2016 10:06 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2016 11:07:29 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

John B. wrote in
:

No one uses a "bicycle Clip" :-)

Ahem. ;-)

I still have the pair of clips I bought in the early 1970s. When I ride in
trousers, I use them. (I alsmost never ride in trousers anymore. The last
time would have been the spring of 2012.)

I believe that Amazon, among others, still are selling them.

And sometimes making a healthy return:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terry-Trou...AMXQ0pNRvqX r

Sold new for $1.49/pair

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

CHAIN GUARD TO GO kolldata Techniques 17 November 12th 11 01:26 PM
$2 chain guard catchs on datakoll Techniques 0 March 1st 08 12:46 AM
DIY CHAIN GUARD $2 PLUS [email protected] Techniques 1 May 13th 06 08:30 PM
DIY chain guard? [email protected] Techniques 8 August 11th 05 01:37 AM
DIY CHAIN GUARD $2 PLUS [email protected] Techniques 7 May 3rd 05 05:05 PM