The end of life, as we know it?

Old May 21st 16, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default The end of life, as we know it?

I just came across an article about an Airbus subsidiary having built
a "3d printed motorcycle" which weighs some 35 kg with 3 kw motor. The
aluminum frame weighs 5.8 kg. One can only speculate what a frame
would weigh that didn't incorporate rear suspension and was built for
a human power plant.

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-airbus-...otorcycle.html

Best of all they are taking orders, a mere $56,095, plus tax, each,
with a range of 37 miles (60 Km.).
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Default Electric Bikes (was The end of life, as we know it?)

John B. wrote:

I just came across an article about an Airbus subsidiary having built
a "3d printed motorcycle"

Good that you put that in quotes. It appears to be a trendy term that
titillates the increasing number of people who have downloaded a CAD
program. There is nothing new about CAD/CAM.

which weighs some 35 kg with 3 kw motor.

That might be light for a motorcycle if it had the same range and
carrying capacity, but it's not light for a bike.

The aluminum frame weighs 5.8 kg. One can only speculate what a frame
would weigh that didn't incorporate rear suspension and was built for
a human power plant.

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-airbus-...nted-electric-

motorcycle.html

Best of all they are taking orders, a mere $56,095, plus tax, each,
with a range of 37 miles (60 Km.).

Probably because "3-D printing" is not a viable technology. Besides, it
looks more like extrusion renamed.

It looks cool, but there are better examples to point out that we are in
an era in which electric bikes will become commonplace. Driven by
innovation in battery technology, probably mainly from the ultraportable
(smartphone and tablet) computer market.

Ultraportable computing devices have a long way to go to satisfy
consumer demand. The most enjoyable programs like flight simulation, car
racing, chess, 3-D gaming, and other CPU intensive games/programs suck
battery power and therefore will not be usable on an ultraport until
battery technology improves. And there is great demand for that.

In the not too distant future battery technology will sufficiently drive
powered paragliding. That will be a blast for those who can afford it.
But that will be after bikes.
Old May 21st 16, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/21/2016 3:25 PM, John Doe wrote:
John B. wrote:

[...]

heh heh. I had a not-quite conversation about a year ago
with a 3d enthusiast whose entire qualification was from
seeing a television piece about 3d printing, "we'll make
just everything on 3d printers!!"

I noted that it would be a useful process for a butter knife
or a thimble or eyeglass frames, maybe even the lenses
themselves, but never an engine crankshaft nor a bicycle
chain. He insisted that the shapes of those things were well
within the current printer resolution capacity and refused
to believe the material differences were important.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 22nd 16, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

John B. wrote:

[...]

I suggest that while he might be an enthusiast he wasn't very
knowledgeable about the process as at present the emphasis is on the
material being used rather than the actual 3d printing.

Back, it must be close to twenty years ago, I remember an article in
some learned publication about a system that used a laser to carve
items out of some plastic material. The objects could then be used as
cores to make molds to cast an object. Sort of the opposite of 3d
printing. I've always wondered what happened to that idea as
practically any material could be used with a laser.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 22nd 16, 08:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

John B. wrote:

[...]

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Sp...ruster_chamber

Only a 10N thruster mind.
Old May 22nd 16, 10:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

John B. wrote:

[...]

They seem to be satellite positioning thrusters and they apparently
make a couple of hundred a year. Material costs are said to be 40
Euros a gram. :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 22nd 16, 10:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

John B. wrote:

[...]

They are. However 40 euros/gram today is 10c/gram tomorrow. Don't get
me wrong, I think we are still a long way away from the 3D printing
Eutopia often cited, but I reckon in a decade a lot of consumer item
will be made like this, and consumer printers will be of a bearable
quality so I can make my skull bar ends :-)

Old May 22nd 16, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

John B. wrote:

[...]

Nope, they considered this a success so they are going for the new
stuff: "platinum-iridium, which has performance advantages. This alloy
cannot easily be manufactured by traditional techniques like casting
and forging, so printing is the only way it can be harnessed for space
use."

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 23rd 16, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 05-21-2016 22:25, John Doe wrote:
Probably because "3-D printing" is not a viable technology. Besides, it
looks more like extrusion renamed.

3-D printing, with a _quality_ printer, is a viable way to make plastic
items in small quantities.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it can be used for aluminum

I know it is not viable for mass production.

--
Wes Groleau
Old May 23rd 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Euro R&D has for ??? coupla years produced a semi-final product then offere the piece to the public as a collectors buy.

if the product has legs, a few more.

3D CNC CAD run together.

I read abt this 50 years ago....my father gave me an LCD nightlight with a speech abt THIS IS THE FUTURE

where's the beef ?

Google, one of my arch enemies as I do what they want to do as a means of controlling the Planet for THEIR AGENDA ..seems to announce on Goo News a new handheld computer bristling with sensors supplying readout number crunching software for only $299

When you stop whining, the $299 wonder plugs into a larger battery.

'Apps' are past and currently available that supply something of that but we expect Goo to crush heads here and blow the 'apps' off.

we'll need to wait for an AJ review